Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still coughing 9 wks post ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Dave says he feels like he has a tickle in his throat. He also sounds like he still has mucus in his throat. He did have some pneumonia, but I wonder if this is related to the vocal chord damage. He sounded pretty good post op, but this problem is ongoing.

Linda MI
advertisement

Comments

• I just said to my husband that I haven't been able to get rid of this cough since my surgery. My cough is a dry one, but I also feel like I have a tickle in my throat. I am thinking it is the scar tissue healing??
    also, this may sound strange, but I have had the hiccups countless times since my surgery. don't know if there is a connection.
  • I have seen my NS who has told me that the c5/c6 disc is DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to the spinal cord, after hearing this news i am so nervous and scared of trying to live a normal life!!! im nervous driving now incase sumone bumps into me, im nervous at slipping over, im nervous bout being a passenger in friends car as sudden braking may happen!!!!!
    i have been having alot of pain in back of head and neck for sum time now,and also servere pins and needles in both hands with jerking/twitching movements in my left arm. When the NS told me it is DANGEROUSLY CLOSE i am getting myself all worked up, i want the surgery with hope that i will be better but sooooo scared at the same time of being paralized. please sumone out there that has had this surgery done tell me there experience and outcome of their surgery.
  • I can remember being TERRIFIED before my surgery! I had c5-6, and c-6-7 done. My surgery was a year ago (Oct. 15th) and I even thought about backing out while waiting to go into the OR. It's no picnic, I mean it is spine surgery after all, but I can tell you it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Two years before I had to have open shoulder surgery which was much more painful! It takes a while to adapt to the collar, and I think it's the whole idea, as you said, that it is high risk surgery. But I'm assuming you have a doc that you trust or you wouldn't even have considered the surgery. That's what helped me the most, that I trusted my doctor. It also helped a great deal that my sister who is a nurse, came to stay with me for a week, and was smart enough to know to come a few days before to help me through the panic!
    I wish you the best of luck, and just keep in mind that they have to tell you about the risks and worst case scenarios, but these are quite rare.