Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home alterations

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good afternoon,

I am curious if you have had to make any home alterations due to recovery. I am likely to be having a PLIF soon and am trying to prepare. I have already raised the washer and dryer so I don't have to bend, and gotten a taller toilet. You have any other suggestions for alterations (cheap or free) and or for tools or equipment that were necessary for your prompt recovery?

Any ideas are welcome!!! :?

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• There is a list at the top of the page of things needed. There is alot listed most of the stuff people do not use. Some do. Its here under back/neck surgery listed (sticky) post op must haves by saltzworks. It's the very first one.
    The major thing for me was the commode they gave me at the hospital through the my insurance. PT brought up a long handled sponge, grabber all that fun stuff.
    Are you going to have someone there??????
    REason being even laundry learned from last year not a great idea for a few weeks or even till your post op check up. Even with the grabber I made myself sore. But that is up to you and your dr.
    Pretty much just things at waist level. Keep a med list of when you take your meds, cause you do forget. Phone etc. Books all that kinda stuff that you like.
    My surgery was the 17th and I am still laid up in bed w/ surgery pain. You may be one of those that bounces back. Just remember everyone recovers different.

Anything else just ask away hun

Anyways we are all different in what we use and need.
    You can check out that list.

Take care
    Huggies
    Terri :)
  • i had a five pound weight limit for 8 weeks post-op. after a couple of weeks i was able to do my own laundry, but kept the load very small. I put my laundry in a plastic grocery bag and limited myself to that amount. I used my grabber to get the clothes out. it made me feel "productive", but without putting stress on my body! good luck in your surgery and recovery! :-C
  • Steph, I would recommend cooking meals in advance and freezing them. (list what you have done) also in your kitchen, get rid of anything you wqont be using over the next few months like mixmasters etc. Just put them in a cupboard and get out the things you will use a lot. You will need to have things ar reaching level and there is no digging to the back of the shelf :))(
    Make sure your microvawe etc are at a good height.

Again with furniture, move things out of the way if you wont be using them. Have a good comfy supportive chair to be able to sit in.

I wouldn't make perm adjustments unless you were going to anyway as it can be costly and usually there is a temporary solution.

Laundry I was OK to do after a few weeks but I did use the drier rather then hang it out (also winter here so that was my excuse) I did get my mum to wash the sheets and change the bed for me as bending was out og the question.

You will be fine, just do as much as you can beforehand to make it easier and stock up on a few hobbies that you might want to catch up on while recovering.

All will be fine
    Blessings Sara O:)