Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

non fusion of C5-6 any advice appreciated

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi,
Im ashamed to say i havent visited for a few months. Been having alot of issues and got my CT results back today. I had an ACDF in May 2007 then a Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy in May 2007. My ct shows " Lucency is demonstrated through the interbody bone graft at the C5-6 level, worrisome for pseudoarthrosis or non-union". Surgeon has ordered a bone graft stimulator supposed to be delivered in about an hour. Anyone know anything about this or been in this situation? All he told me was that if this doesnt heal soon, and after using this bone growth stimulator that i will have to have a BIG fusion through the posterior method. Im in shambles now....any advice greatly appreciated. :''(

Cindy
advertisement

Comments

• I had the revision surgery for non fusion and it was done posterior. Mine was in Feb 07 and I will not lie it was not easy. I am fused C4-C7 and they did take bone from my hip. It has been over 18 months now and I do still have pain....EMG/NCV showed denervation, muscle atrophy and parathesis....I see my surgeon Oct 22 and will know more then about what is going on. I hope the bone stimulator does the trick....it was never offered to me, I was in surgery having the revision done 2 weeks after the xray showed non union. The surgeon also put a lot more hardware in during the revision surgery than I had before. I wish you the best and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Sharon
  • Thank you so very much. I was a member of this forum for about a year, and kinda just dropped off (dumb me). I come back and everything is changed lol. Anyway, i got the bone stimulator today and have to wear it 4 hours a day for about 3 months. Im just confused as to why if i havent fused in 17 months, i would now. Same as you, doctor said a BIG posterior fusion C2-6, if this doesnt work. I am also supposed to get botox injections in the muscle he severed during my posterior surgery. I may pm you for more info on the revision surgery. I need as much information as i can get from people that have been through it. Thanks again.

Cindy
  • Hey Cindy,
    Nice to see you again but sorry to hear why your here. I have been through the revision surgery as well plus two others. It is a bit more difficult of a surgery that is for sure. The levels your looking at are close to remember cindys she is now neck of steel and has had them done. You can see her films as they are her avatar. Anyway i did wear the bone stimulator as well but my problem actually started in the first surgery so the stimulator didn't work. I as well had it four hours a day for 8 months. Don't be alarmed if you hear something when your on the phone that is the stimulator doing it. Anyway welcome back and keep me posted if there is anything i can do feel free to pm me.
  • Wow thanks tamtam, yep this is from my first surgery to, which is why i'm doubtful its gonna work. Wondering why they didn't give me this thing to begin with instead of waiting 16 months. Seems like the pain gets worse every day, and i just end up spending what time i do have in bed laying flat. How can i look at Cindys avatar or whatever? I'm still having trouble finding my way around the new site lol. Thanks for the Welcome Back.

Cindy
advertisement