Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

injection will cause accute withdrawal in abuser

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
So this has bothered me for many months. Back in May, I was in California for 3 weeks. I went to the walk in clinic there, with terrible pain. I had explained to the doctor, that I was currently being treated back home, and had not yet received a diagnoses.

Now, along with a few prescriptions (norco/soma/naproxen) This doctor wanted to give me a shot. He said that I would not be able to drive. I called my sister in, asked if she could drive me home, and watch my son for me, which she agreed.

What has bothered me, is what this doctor said about the shot. I told him the medications I was on, brought in my bottles, etc. He asked how long I had been taking them, and If I was taking more than I had told him. I told him I had been taking them for a month, and only in prescribed doses. He then told me he needed to know the absolute truth, because If I were abusing these medications, the shot he was going to give me would put me into acute withdrawal, and I would need to be hospitalized for respiratory distress. He said that many times, he has had "drug seekers" in his office, who lied about their use. At the very last second, they stop him from giving them the shot, for fear of what he told them could happen.

Now, I don't know what this shot was. I know that it wasn't demerol. It made me very loopy. I couldn't stay awake, but could hear everything around me. It also made my skin hurt, like a severe sunburn. It hurt for my clothes to touch my skin.

What has bothered me, is what the doctor said about the "acute withdrawal" Was he telling me a lie, to make sure I wasn't drug seeking? Or is there really such a drug that could cause that? I have never heard of such a thing before. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for your input
Amanda
advertisement

Comments

• i would run from that doctor....
  • Don't you think? He said that the shot couldn't be given to someone who was taking high doses of narcotics for long periods of time. I personally felt he was saying this to me to try and figure out if I was telling the truth or not. Just didn't sound right to me.
  • bigcat90 said:
    i would run from that doctor....
    Amen to that! That's just scary that he would use that kind of procedure because he doesn't trust his patients! :jawdrop:
  • I figured that he was just "testing the waters" so to speak, to see my reaction to his statement. Like he said, he had told other people that before, who decided at the last minute not to get the shot. I guess that would be a pretty good test.

If you are a drug abuser, and I give you this shot, you will die.

Nice tactic, but a strange one. Whatever works to stop drug seekers from getting the drug they are seeking right? Is that ethical though? To lie to a patient? In the end, it doesn't really matter. This was a doctor who was working at the urgent care clinic, who I will most likely never see again. I don't have to worry about him lying to me. I would like to know what exactly this shot was though... so I never get it again. As I said, the feeling of skin pain was unbearable. And it lasted like over 5 hours. I hated not being alert and able to care for my son. If my sister hadn't been with me, I wouldn't have gotten the shot in the first place. We were both a little frustrated at how long it lasted. I just kept praying for it to go away. Which even the next morning I was still in a fog.
  • Tell them that you need a keep a record of all meds and forgot what it was in the injection. They should be able to look it up by the date.

Its so weird that it made your skin feel like that. Did it help with the pain?
  • yeah i would call the place. or even have your own dr call to find out the name of the med given. only BECAUSE it gave you that reaction on your skin. you don't need that happening again in a ER situation or if your admitted for something.
    they will tell them. what your describing sounds like a pain med mixed with a relaxant. something very similar to something new they used on me with a kidney stone that they found to have good effects on people now.

anyways find out . i would want to know what went into my body.

no his tatic was not good in anyway. but of course at on call or something similar unless its affiliated with your hospital or dr they have no clue who you are, where your from, your history etc.

i know for sure his ethic would of not worked on a true addict. someone like a "family member" who is addicted to crack would of taken the shot from them anyway just for the buzz.

i always go to the one affliated with all my records. i know this cannot be the case for everyone if they are out of town etc... cause when addicts are at that point they do not care what they get as long as its something in their system. all this from personal experience not myself but people close to me........

so call if you want or call your dr and let them know. i would want to know the drug they put in me, so it was not used again in the future due to the reaction.

hang in there hun hope your feeling better.
    huggies
    terri >:D< >:D<
  • Could it have been methadone? I know that chronic pain patients are being given methadone for pain, but it is also given to drug addicts (though I'm not sure what the reasons are for giving it). Is it possible that methadone would have that kind of effect on someone who has been taking high doses of narcotics? I am not familiar with methadone or it's side effects.
  • I think I will call tomorrow and ask. The only thing I know is that it was mixed with something to prevent stomach upset, and they said they don't carry meds like demerol. He mentioned to me a few times what meds he couldn't prescribe, and what they don't keep on hand because of drug seekers. I'm gonna leave a sticky on my PC to call them tomorrow.
  • been phenagren. It is commonly used to treat nausea, and has different effects on everyone, and can increase the potency of some pain medications (what an ER Dr told me)When I take phenagren, Im exhausted and loopy and can barely talk, I cant stand taking it unless my nausea is severe. I dont like not feeling in control.. @)
  • Ladies and gentlemen I present to you Narcan

"Narcan has not been shown to produce tolerance or cause physical or psychological dependence. In the presence of physical dependence on opioids, Narcan will produce withdrawal symptoms. However, in the presence of opioid dependence, opiate withdrawal symptoms may appear within minutes of Narcan administration and subside in about 2 hours. The severity and duration of the withdrawal syndrome are related to the dose of Narcan and to the degree and type of opioid dependence."

• Narcan aka Naloxone saved my best friend in HS's life.I will never forget that day, it kept me clean for life.
  • Just to give you an idea of the power of Narcan. June 23rd, 2007 I went into the OR, was intubated and placed under general anesthesia. No surgery was taking place, instead I was undergoing UROD Ultra Rapid Opioid Detox. For just under 8 hours I was at the mercy of a doc specialized in performing this. I was able to be detoxed an avoid having to suffer the horrible acute withdrawl.

I then spent two days in ICU still intubated where every 24 hours the doc came in and did a "Narcan Challenge". Once I quit having dramatic responses to the Narcan, chest x-rays were performed, I was extubated and put into a private room.

I had suffered some pulmonary edema during the procedure, but it was pretty much expected anyway.

I still suffered nasty opioid withdrawl for a couple weeks. Then I was started on auricular acupuncture to help restart my own endorphins and help fight cravings and help me to sleep.

It's a real drug with a real purpose and I am ever so grateful that it exists!

"C"
  • Thanks "C"! Maybe this guy was telling the truth after all?? I am going to call them today, I am 3 hours ahead of them, to I have to wait for them to open (I think 9am pacific)
  • So whacked out. It was such a strange feeling, like being too drunk. WAY TOO DRUNK
  • They used Narcan to see if you would still have withdrawal? Sound like you had a rough time... I am glad your ok!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,720
    Amanda, many of the posts you have receive probably have more information than I can provide.
    The one injection that comes to mind (though I dont understand the comments about acute withdrawal) would be
    verset (spelling I am not sure of). It can be one of the sedatives they give people during a colonoscopy. Its enough to make you loopy but still be awake.

Now, it terms of Respiratory distress, many narcotic pain meds if taken excessively can cause that. One of the major warnings about Oxycontin (or other ER drugs) is that if you chrush or break the outer shell, you would get too much of the drug to fast which can easily lead to Respiratory problems.

Sad part was I think because of your age, you were grilled by the doctor to make sure you were telling the truth. I would venture to say if I walked in to that same doctor, that question MAY have been asked, but one response from me would have been enough.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It was phenergan and stadol... Very interesting

STADOL: *Because of the drug’s partial opiate antagonistic effects, butorphanol is not recommended for use in opiate-dependent patients, and such patients should have an adequate period of withdrawal from opiates before initiating butorphanol therapy. In patients who have been taking opiate analgesics chronically, administration of butorphanol tartarte has been associated with withdrawal symptoms (e.g., anxiety, agitation, mood changes, hallucinations, dysphoria, weakness, diarrhea). In addition, because it may be difficult to assess tolerance in patients who have recently received substantial amounts of opiate agonists, butorphanol should be used with caution in these patients. The drug should be used in opiate-dependent patients only after they have been detoxified since butorphanol does not suppress the abstinence syndrome in these patients, and high doses may precipitate withdrawal symptoms as a result of opiate antagonist effect.*
  • very interesting info, Patsy
advertisement