Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw NS Today

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Today I was supposed to find out the extent of my surgery. My DO had expected my NS would decide on C-3 thru C-7 ACDF. What my NS said today instead was the latest MRI was poor quality.

He did say that C-5 thru C-6 are bad. He showed me a model of the vertebrae with actual screws and plate. I know he plans on ACDF C-5 thru C-6. He does not believe C-3 thru C-4 or C-7 warrant surgery from what he saw. But he wants an MRI done in a closed MRI machine to get a clear film.

That is ok with me but it is frustrating watching this process drag on. I had to wait one month for the appointment today. The surgeons secretary is going to see if my insurance approves this second MRI. The first one was done the end of June. If it is not approved he is going to do a discogram. I think that is what that is called when they inject a die and take pictures.

So, the waiting continues. His office is going to call me one week from today to schedule the closed MRI. The question is whether I will fit. They think it will be a close fit because of my size. Well, plus, I am somewhat claustraphobic. But I think I can probably shut my eyes and keep them shut during the procedure and maybe it won't be so terrible. LOL.

So, that's the latest. :W

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya Ken,
    When it comes to the MRI im quite used to them :) . My local hospital only have one kind of MRI machine and its what you call a closed one :S . I am some what claustraphobic, and i presume you mean the tunnel :? . So here is what you do I) , they put head phones on you (they can talk to you through these)and give you a buzzer to hold, close your eyes and take slow breaths dont open your eyes not even for a peak if you dont like closed spaces ;) . Serious though keep us informed about how it goes :H . PM me anytime. B)

Angie x
  • I second those recomendations. I had my MRI today and I didn't open my eyes the whole time. I also took a small zanax.25mg. The headphones are good for light music which competes with the loud machine but gives your mind something nice to follow. They also offered and put a small towel over a frame above my head. Breath slow and deep and don't move. Keep your eyes closed for sure. Mine was only 13 minutes for cervical work.

Good healing!
    Mike
  • I'm just glad that the NS is making sure he can have a handle on everything possible before making a recommendation to you. I know the waiting stinks, but better to wait a bit and be accurate, then to have to go through one surgery and then another to fix what didn't get fixed the first time.

Hang in there!

"C"
  • haglandc said:
    I'm just glad that the NS is making sure he can have a handle on everything possible before making a recommendation to you. I know the waiting stinks, but better to wait a bit and be accurate, then to have to go through one surgery and then another to fix what didn't get fixed the first time.

Hang in there!

"C"
    go with C on this one my friend....better to cover all the bases before surgery. The waiting can be terrible but let all of us help you through. As far as the MRI and claustrophobia thing goes , ask for sedation like the others have said. My MIL would lose her mind if she ever had to have an MRI and not be looped out of her mind....so ask away my friend , nothing wrong with it. Please continue to keep us posted.....Miki
  • With the others on thier recommendations. I managed through the last one with no sedation but took my own music with me. However will want some sedation in the future. Hope you get the test soon.
  • Yep, I agree fully with you guys! I think the reason this surgeon is regarded the best in our area is partly because he does not go thru with a surgery until he is absolutely sure in his own mind exactly what needs to be done.

I do have one question you guys can probably answer and I forgot to ask my surgeon yesterday (lol I need to write a list of questions and bring them next appt). When he is talking ACDF C-5 thru C-6 is that 2 levels or 1 level? I also remember him saying the word 'Laminectomy'. I think thats what he said. What does that mean?

Thanks guys! You guys are the best! =D>

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • The best way i get through the MRI's is to ask them to lay a towel over my eyes. I am terribly claustrophobic and have some dumb ability to NOT be able to peek. When i do peek now, all i see is the towel so i pretend im in the tanning bed.

Cindy
  • The best way i get through the MRI's is to ask them to lay a towel over my eyes. I am terribly claustrophobic and have some dumb ability to NOT be able to peek. When i do peek now, all i see is the towel so i pretend im in the tanning bed.

Cindy
  • c5-c6 would be a one level fusion.
advertisement