Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to DDD & site

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi :H – I’m new to the site and new to DDD. The last few days I’m been reading some of the member posts and I have not experienced the pain and suffering that you folks have. The reality of the diagnosis is still sinking in – and the questions and uncertainty of surgery or no-surgery is overwhelming. Well here goes…

This must have been coming on for years and I chalked it up to old age and the dancing and twirling in my younger days! I work as a Project Manager for a company implementing new systems so this summer was a rude awakening. I was on the road running training events and working with the machines from June 3rd till the end of August. The night of the 1st training the top of my feet went numb. I assumed it was being on my feet all day – and the new shoes. A few days later the top of my hands were numb… I made the doctor appointment. To make a long story shorter – in between the hectic schedule I had 3 MRI’s (OPEN) followed by an EMG for my right hand. The cervical MRI showed significant disc degeneration and marked narrowing & osteophyte formation and encroachment on the canal and neuroforamina at the C5-6 and C6-7 levels. C4-5 shows an anterior disc protrusion not affecting the canal or neuroforamina. MRI of thoracic spine – degenerative disc disease at T9-10 with a mild, midline disc protrusion and also some degenerative disc disease at T11-12. MRI of the lumbar spine- multiple level disc disease with minimal disc bulging on the right at L3-4 and on the left at L4-5 & a sacral meningeal cyst @ S2. (like I have a clue what I just said). The EMG was positive for carpal tunnel in the right hand. I am currently doing the PT once a week and trying to be careful. The pain is not as severe as what I have been reading on this site – the therapy is helping the neck pain & headaches. The Cyclobenzaprine, hydrocodone and Tylenol etc help on bad days. My main problems are the numbness, neck getting stuck or clicking and swallowing.

My next appt with the neurosurgeon is 10/2 – to talk about the surgery. At my age if I don’t get it done, should I loose my job, the condition gets worse and not have insurance – then what? My husband has health issues – I’m use to being the caregiver… not the one who needs help. Thank you for listening.
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya,
    Welcome to Spine Health, >:D< You are certainly in the right place :) .You will find this site full of information that will be useful to you 8> .We are all friendly and advise and help you when and where we can :) Sometimes even as the carer, you need help >:D< after all you are only human. This site has helped me so much, when i need to vent i come here ~X( , that way i dont take out my pain and frustrations on my family :? . Anytime you need a chat we are here for you. You can also PM me anytime. :H

Angie x
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it will take some time to adjust to your diagnosis. perhaps this is to show you what life is like on the other side of the caregiver role. take care of yourself and remember to take advantage of the forum! Jenny :)
  • I know that you will find the understanding and support that you need here.
  • looking- Welcome to forum and hope you get all info and support needed to help with all the spinal issues. Hope the appt went OK thurs. Not sure if it is the same but I have a tarlov cyst which is a sacral cyst. The drs called it an incidental finding. I believe it is causing pain but I have other cervical, thoracic and lumbar issues..take care.. jade
  • I want to thank you all for your support and understanding. Even though I'm probably older than most of you - I feel like the kid here! I can't believe what all of you have gone through, I consider myself lucky.

I took your list of questions to ask the surgeon and I put that man through them all and then some. Even my husband was asking questions. I asked the - if it was the docs wife or daughter question..he managed to skip over it in the discussion - but my husband got him at the end! He might not have gone for the operation but due to the swallowing issues he would. So we have a time range but not a date. I can't do anything until Nov 4th is over due to work so I know I'll need support & advice as the day gets closer(which maybe Jan so we can enjoy the holidays) Now I have to tell my children! (all adults)
    Again - thank you for everything.
advertisement