Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interesting article on back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
below is a link to an interesting article on back surgery. its afew years old but still relatively current, written by Jerome Groopman

http://www.jeromegroopman.com/articles/knife-in-the-back.html

"Jerome Groopman, M.D. is Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Chief of Experimental Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and one of the world's leading researchers in cancer and AIDS. He is a staff writer for The New Yorker and has written for The New York Times and The Washington Post, along with several books.
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks for sharing it
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• This is part of the education and the information we should all be gathering as we try to understand our pain; where it's coming from; how we can make it better; what our alternatives are and what are their risks and benefits. This is nothing new, it's been discussed many times before by other experts in the field.

A book that reflects the same idea; Back Sense, written by Dr. Ronald D. Siegel, Michael Urdang and Dr. Douglas R. Johnson.

Also, Dr Hamilton Hall, who founded the Canadian Back Institute, has written books and done similar studies, comparing the long-term results of back pain patients with and without surgeries.

Good info! Thanks!
  • rachel said:
    below is a link to an interesting article on back surgery. its afew years old but still relatively current, written by Jerome Groopman

http://www.jeromegroopman.com/articles/knife-in-the-back.html

"Jerome Groopman, M.D. is Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Chief of Experimental Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and one of the world's leading researchers in cancer and AIDS. He is a staff writer for The New Yorker and has written for The New York Times and The Washington Post, along with several books.
    Thanks for the read! Just curious, how did your fusion turn out?
  • hamilton halls book is one of the better back pain books that i have read a nice overview and in my opinion very accurate.

my fusion / adr is going well. i have been back at work full time now for three weeks (drugfree), and have been exercising regularly since 6wks. ive been able to get back out on my bike and now that it is warming up hope to do this more. i see my surgeon for follow up xrays tomorrow and i will be asking when i can start getting back into things like tennis and golf. im not sure if im quite ready but thats what i thought the first time i got back on my bike.
advertisement