Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Myofascial Pain or CMP, do you have it?

QuiltinouslyQQuiltinously Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Fibromyalgia
Hi again,
I am still grasping at straws, trying to figure out why I have pain beyond what my doctors think I ought to have. I guess having an ACDF C5-6 that did not work, in other words: I'm still in pain - is not good enough. But I don't care what they think (too much) as I am constant pain and apparently "I" am the one to figure out what is going on with my lousy body.

Previously, I've asked about Fibromyalgia on here. I also went to the library and checked out some books including: "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain" by Devin Starlanyl. CMP is like Fibro, but it is very different. Muscles hurt and pain can be on one side of the body and not the other. That is what I've figured out so far.

I know we should not post the same thing from another topic, but forgive me, it hurts to type and so I'm copying what I posted in my topic "Do you think I have fibro...". Here's what I posted regarding my health:
-----------
Here's what I have going on:
- I am a 48 yo female and have been diagnosed with DDD and have one herniated disc in my lumbar spine plus a failed neck surgery one year ago at the C5-6 level - it fused but the pain is the same as before.

- Standing hurts from the base of my skull to my tail bone and the pain only diminishes when I sit or lay down. My legs feel weak, but they really are not. I can walk normally, but must sit sooner than a normal person would because of the all over pain feeling.

- I have constant pain from my neck down into my shoulder, arm, and hand including weakness and numbness.

- When I do "too much" like vacuum one room, I will have an increase in pain and likely get a migraine headache.

- I have a sensitivity to smells, lights, and loud noises.

- Before pain, I was happy, hyper, and full of energy. I live in a somewhat foggy state thanks to the pain meds I need to get by. At least I am still height and weight proportionate and healthy (it seems) besides constant chronic pain. Ice on my neck and shoulder help a little, but not enough.
----------------
If you have or know anything about Chronic Myofascial Pain, let me know if I sound like someone who has this.

I much appreciate all the help!!!
Dee
advertisement

Comments

• my dr. seems to think it's basically the same thing as Fibro. I personally am NOT convinced they are the same thing, as I get these lumps or knotted up tissues all over the place. They can be on my thighs, the back of my legs, where you bend your knee (most common for me) my arms...they are HUGE there, by the biceps but further over, on my stomach area (this is kind of new) and on my back. I've had them on my wrists too.

They hurt like mad when they are touched. I have been taught by a PT to roll them out with a rolling pin or tennis ball. It works, but you have to do it every day to get relief.

It appears that the knots come from standing in one place too long or from over working myself. I almost can deal with the muscle pain from Fibro more than I deal with the knots! They hurt so badly and every time someone wants to touch me, I about want to go through the ceiling!
  • Hi Fuzzy,

I sure am sorry to hear about your knots as that sounds terrible! I can't imagine have knots that hurt so badly when I'm hugged or just touched. It is nice to know the rolling pin or ball help, but that can't be easy. I guess I may not have CMP either as my knots are along my neck and shoulder only.

Thanks for writing and I hope you get some good answers and direction on this website.

Gentle hug from afar,
    Dee
  • I don't think they are necessarily all over the place to be considered CMP. I usually don't have them everywhere but this week it seems to be the case.

Using the rolling pin DOES hurt at first, but after a few times it starts not hurting so much. He used to use it on the back of my thighs and it was torture- I was squirming and flinching but eventually it got to the point where the area was tender when touched but not excruciating.

It does stink when someone touches me and there are some people at work that are touchy-feely and I have told them NUMEROUS times to not touch me unless they want to hear a blood curdling scream! Ok, I am slightly exaggerating that, but it's enough to make me want to scream at least.

I am hoping to talk to my dr. about this b/c he's in the process of writing a letter about my limitations to my employer and I need to do something about the register. I am sooooooooo sore from being on that register so much that I called off today. That is another rant in itself!
  • On the back of my neck, on the front where the bones of my ribs/clavicle are too. Yeah it stinks and I am at times angry b/c I got this way b/c of a stupid injury to my knee that occurred at work.
advertisement