Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Replacement

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So, I saw my NS yesterday. He wants me to go have a discogram. Ouch! I don't look forward to that at all. I told him I already know what will happen, it will hurt.

Anyway, the reason he wants me to go is because he wants to find out if I am a candidate for disc replacement at L4-5

He says that I definately need fusion for L5-S1 and that he wants to see if L4-5 can be replaced because it does have an annular tear and some damage. He also wants to check out L3-4 because there is some damage there.

Anyway, after the discogram I will be in line for either a one level fusion and replacement at L4-5

OR

A two level fusion (L5-S1 and L4-5) and possible additional treatment (of what sort I know not) of L3-4

To be honest I am more nervous about having the discogram than I am about the surgery itself!

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• I went thru all that just over 12 months ago and am now 6 days away from a 3 level fusion and having 2 discs replaced. The NS is leaving the top disc alone (L3/L4) as it may regenerate when the fusion is around it and taking pressure off, but all 3 discs showed as pain generating at the discogram. I guess if he gets in there and it's worse, he may change his mind.

When is the discogram being done? Good luck for when it happens
    x
  • I think I am having the discogram next week. Thank you for sending me luck!

Wow! A year later? I don't know if I can continue to deal with the pain that much longer. Why did you wait so long, was it your decision or thiers?