Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

valium for muscle relaxer

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In the hospital and for home my doctor prescribed valium as a muscle relaxer. I am by no means over-using the valium.
When I went for my 8 week check this past Friday, he said this would be my last prescription for the valium; to use heat if my muscles were in spasms...(which I a doing) at that point I felt a little uncomfortable (was he thinking I was selling them). Basically I had been taking 2-4 mg at bedtime. Well since then I tried to stop taking the valium and I am in TERRIBLE pain..I know a good part is getting used to no collar, doing a bit more. But I am sure I have muscle spasms. I cancelled PT today because of the pain. It seems to me that it would be natural to have spasms when you are using muscles that haven't been used for quite a while, right?
Is there is a less potent muscle relaxer that he wouldn't object prescribing (if and when I need it). I have been on them in the past, but can't remember the names. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• That is terrible. I hate when you get that vibe from docs. I am on 5mg of Valium twice a day right now. After that they'll probably give me Flexeril. Flexeril works awesome for me. I don't think they'd have a problem at ALL prescribing that for you! Ask for the 10mg if possible. If not, the 5mg always works. Or better yet... When I get the 5mgs, I take one in the morning and 2 at night. Helps me sleep, but keeps me not too sleepy during the day.
  • There are lots of other muscle relaxers that aren't benzodiazepines, so they don't freak the docs out. I take Soma, have taken Skelaxin(expensive), also I know of Zanaflex. There are many others as well. Soma gives me a head rush about 30 minutes after taken, then settles down and is okay. Skelaxin was good, less drowsy, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it and 60 tabs were $235. Good-luck, Sue
  • I've had 2 surgeries within 15 mths and am now 19 wks. post op from the second. I have taken Valium at bedtime the whole 2 yrs. and during the days when I was the first couple months post op. Even now I take 4mg a.m and 2mg along with Robaxin (a muscle relaxer) at bedtime. I'd make a fuss cuz you need your PT.
  • Just be honest, tell them you are still having spasms. Ask if they are going to stop the valium, if there is something else that you can try. Most doctors I have seen are quick to prescribe flexeril, over any other meds. Unfortunately flexeril doesn't work well for me. I wasn't aware that they came in 10mg. I asked about that before, and was given valium instead. Go figure. Just ask, I am sure you wont have a problem. There is no reason for your doctor to think that you are abusing, as long as you have been honest, not asking for refills early etc. (I think that valium is addictive, which might be what your doctor is trying to avoid)

Good Luck
    Amanda
  • most surgeons won't Rx meds after a certain point. 8 weeks is kinda early to stop giving you stuff in my own personal opinion.
    will your personal care physican do anything for ya?????

iv been on valium for years now for muscles. i take 10mg up to 3x's a day. i perfer this much more as i don't get that zoned feeling or groggy feeling. just enough to relax.

soma is ok i have that to. but i like sue get zoned for awhile then i fall asleep. then im groggy when i wake up.

zanaflex makes me feel hungover i tried that one for a month.

skelexin does nothing for me

flexeril does nothing for me.

norflex does nothing for me. my PA told me that was the lowest of them all on the list.

but everyone is different in how they react you know that one.

so discuss it with your surgeon or you personal care dr. thats who will be taking over my meds also when the ortho won't rx anymore.

thank goodness for the edit button lol
    yes those muscles are going to take awhile after that collar comes off. i got to take mine off at 4 weeks so the spasms were not that bad. i had a hard time after PT and when trying to lay on a pillow sideways.

hang in there you def need something for PT thats for sure!!!
  • I was on zanaflex a while ago, and now I remember getting a hung over feeling in the morning. I couldn't really function on it. I don't have any issues with the valium; 2 mgs help me and I don't feel groggy or tired.
    I am seeing my pain management doctor on Friday (for my back--to discuss rhizotomy) I will discuss the issue with him. thanks
  • Baclofen is a great one for me. skelaxin works, too. valium is da bomb though! I don't ask for it anymore as I'm trying to wean myself off everything as I run out but it was my favorite for sure. I took it for 8 weeks and now for muscle issues, I am finishing my baclofen & then going through my skelaxin if I need it. good luck. you should explain to this guy right in his face you don't enjoy popping pills. I did that with my neurosurgeon when I met him so he would know where I stood with that. I told him everything I did to help my pain (I iced all throughout the day. I drove with a fresh ice pack every single time. I slept with TWO back braces, had a back brace on 24/7 except to shower, etc!) that way they have a clue what you're going through!!!
advertisement