Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Extreme Pain during Discogram??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have not had a chance to talk with my spine surgeon. I just had a discogram of L5-S1 disc and experienced the worst pain in my life when he injected (I assume iodine?) in the disc during the procedure. I've dealt with bad pain in the past, chronic migraines, torn muscles, broken bones etc. playing semi-pro volleyball but never even thought the human body was capable of feelinng this level of pain. How am I supposed ot interpret these results? Current symptoms have been back pain with radiating pain down back of right leg and numbess in right foot. I had L5-S1 discectomy 2 years ago. I reinjured this area 2 months ago and was hopinng I could get another discectomy and return to sports. Does the extreme pain during disccogram suggest that fusion is a better alternative? I know I should wait an talk to my doc, but has anyone had this kin dof pain during a discogram?
advertisement

Comments

• OK, I should not have posted. Pain is normal. I didn't see the search feature above.
  • jhutchings- I had 3 discs tested and had it stone cold sober. I remember being held down and crying and very severe pain. I did not have a fusion but it was discussed. As painful as the test was, I got alot of answers.Hopefully the spine surgeon will give you some options..jade
  • They should have told you. The discogram is meant to re-create the pain so they will know excactly which disc is causing it. They should also have given you something after the procedure for acute pain. Maybe tomorrow will be better day.
  • I had a dicogram about a month ago and they injected four discs. Two of them were extremely painful (I didnt know pain came in that flavor). There was only one of the disc that the Dr. was concerned with because it reproduced my normal day to day pain.

I am waiting to see the surgeon here in a few weeks and I have no idea what he will suggest. My PCP has talked about the possible need for surgery, but untill I (we) hear from our surgeons we wont know what the future holds.

Please let us know how you are doing and what the doctor says. By the way it took me about three weeks before my pain settled down to my normal day to day pain.

Take care, and yes discograms are very painfull, but I got iv meds right after and felt fine within seconds.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.