Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion - Quitting smoking - can we use the "PATCH"?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
or is that essentially the same thing because you are still putting nicotine into your body, but just in a different way? I'm curious. I have my NS (1st one) on Monday the 6th. I am expecting him to say I need fusion on my neck. But I smoke. I know from reading and my research that smoking and fusion do not go well together and you must quit. My question is, can I use the patch? Or do I need to find another way? LIke cold turkey (YIKES!).

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I know that there are meds out their that can help you to quit I know someone that smoked 1 and a half packs a day and started on welbuterin (ZYBAN) and she did quit and it helped her in many other ways too she has been smokin free for almost 1 year, Patsy
  • Ask your doctor and make sure the anesthesiologist is aware as well.

I was told yes, no problem. I was not allowed to have it on in surgical prep or surgery, but as soon as I was in my room I was allowed to have it on. The idea that docs consider is "What is safer? Smoking, or transdermal nicotine with the intent of quitting smoking?" Most docs will say quitting by whatever means is safer than smoking.

Now the warning. I did not have a need for morphine until the moring after as I was walking way too much and far. I had been wearing the patch since I was just out of recovery and in my room; I was administered morphine and torradol via IV and when I changed the patch 4 hours later, The skin on my chest where the patch was was blistered very badly; like a burn. A couple hours later the blister just ruptured and the skin was ulcerated. The injury took almost 3 weeks to completely heal and it weeped all the time for about 6 days.

Anyways, quitting is much better than continuing, so I just put up with it and I dont regret it.

Best of wishes to you,
  • i dont smoke, so it didnt pertain to me, but my doctor's directions were: no smoking, no nicotine gum,no patch. every doctor is different, so ask him!
  • I, too, had to quit smoking before surgery and my doctor said nicotine patches or gum were out as it is the nicotine that inhibits fusion. So, I found cigarettes made from herbs - some were just tea leaves and another had a variety of herbs like licorice. They gave me the sense of smoking without the nicotine. You have to read the labels carefully to make sure there is no nicotine but they did work for me. (I did a search on the internet to find them)
  • MegB I sent you a PMessage. THANKS!
  • How about Chantix? It seems a lot of Spineys here are using this to quit.
  • I tried Chantix last year. It didn't do a thing for me, nothing. I have two brother in laws, they quit 1st of year and haven't looked back. It didn't make me want to quit, or not smoke, but did give me some very GOOD dreams ;) 8} Otherwise, still smoking. The only thing that really works for me is the patch, but doesn't sound like I can do that either. I am going to order some of those herbal ciggy's mentioned above. They are $39.99 per carton, actually cheaper than what I'd pay now. THANKS everyone!
    Sandra
  • my sis had neck surgery like 8 years ago, her surgeon was a big believer in no smoking.
    well my sis was a smoker and he told her that her surgery would be scheduled in 5 weeks, and she would have to quit bottom line no patches or gum nothing just quit and if she didn't he would have to use her own hip bone and that was not what he wanted to do.
    so she did it she quit just quit she had suckers in her mouth all the time but she quit smoking.
    i believe one week before her surgery she had to go in to see the surgeon and she was so happy to tell him she had quit,
    He wanted to make sure and they did some sorta blood test that can tell if you have nicotine in your system. well at the time i told my sis i cant imagine a blood test that could tell if you had nicotine in your system.
    but I later learned they do have a blood test, some surgeons do make you take the blood test to make sure you don't have nicotine in your system. Patsy
  • I was told no patches or gum as well but I did try the chantix.
    I had been told min 6 weeks prior to surgery no ciggs so I started the chantix about 3 months prior and took it slowly.
    I thought initially it wasn't going to work then realised that I too had to do my bit and try to stop.
    Yep did get the dreams and slowly it kicked in. I had been a smoker for 30yrs so I assume this was why it was so hard but as I got closer to the 6 week mark it was easier as I knew I didn't have a choice if I wanted the surgery to work.
    Patches never did anything for me, usually just fell off :))(

Whatever you choose goof luck with it

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement