Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stimulator

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
hello friends. Joe and Jeannette here. We just signed on today. Joe has lived in constant pain for 3 years. He had djd and a compressed spinal cord. Also, he has PVD and stents all over his body. He lives on Fentanyl and has no life. I am so afraid that he will die from all the problems with his heart and never be able to spend a day without the terrible pain he lives in. Our pain doctor is wonderful however. He told us today that he had done all he could - blocks, ablations, pain med were not working. He wants to do stimulator. We have appt with therapist on Oct 20. Pain doctor trained at Johns Hopkins and has great credentials. He told us not to worry about Ins co, (we have cigna) They will fuss but he always gets it approved. from what we read from you guys, we are looking at maybe months before it actually done is that right? Does anyone mind telling us what Being a candidate means. Is it up to the doctor or the insurance company? Our doctor said that it will help the nerve damage is that correct? any and all advice would be so appreciated. Thank you and God bless you all - As I read the messages from everyone, I just cried - you are living the same pain Joe has. He cannot sit long enough to use the computer. I am his hands for him.

Thank you all,

Joe and Jeannette
advertisement

Comments

• Hi guys, welcome to Spine Health.

I have a spinal cord stimulator and got my from right down the road from Johns Hopkins! I don't deal with civilian insurance companies, but I have seen from others, that trust the doc.

Of course first there will be a trial with a temporary stimulator to see if it will help Joe's pain. If it does and the trial considered a success, then a permanent implant is the next step.

The SCS doesn't correct nerve damage, but what it does as this quote says "sends mild electrical impulses to the spine or peripheral nerve, masking the perception of pain messages to the brain and replacing pain with a tingling sensation"

It's a very comforting feeling for me and without it I would be unable to do your normal daily activities due to the pain I have. Now I am able to do just about anything I want. I am back to exercising, scuba diving and driving and cleaning and cooking and running the daily errands. It's a really slick device and if the doc is recommending it...

Best wishes and please feel free to PM me if you have questions.

"C"
  • just hearing from you made us feel better. So thankful we have this website to get us through until time comes. Thank you.
    Joe and Jeannette
  • It sounds like you got your SCS at Johns Hopkins, is that correct? I sure would like to find one that close to me that specializes in my type of need. My nerve damage/pain condition is related to a surgery for the removal of a Tarlov Cyst in the sacrum. I also have an LP shunt at L4 L5. This led me to believe I had to go to someone who had experience with Tarlov Cyst type pain. Is that true, or does it matter? I was going to go to Kansas City to see a surgeon there!