Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Some questions on how to deal....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Until my appointment on the 17th. I have herniated disc at L5-S1 and one of my vertebrate is shifted out of position. Does anyone know how common it is to have both of these conditions? I have been trying to get my MD office to call me back so I can get the "Official" diagnosis names and do a little more research. My MD didnt give me any tips on what I should and shouldnt be doing: Is intermediate hiking ok? What are the better ways to sit when I am at my desk all day? I try to get up every hour and take a quick walk. Are there certain things I should be avoiding? I know not to run...especially since I forgot and ran a few steps earlier this evening with the dog (ouch all the way down my leg!). It really sucks how much this limits you on doing whatever it is you may want to do. Also are there any exercises I should be doing to help my back or is it better to wait to see what the Dr at the neurosurgery and spine place says? I stretch all the muscles in my legs everyday.

Thanks for any input!
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya Christine,
    Welcome to Spine Health >:D< .I had problems with the L4/L5/S1 area ~X( , but im not sure how common your two problems are, you could contact your doctor and ask :) .In the mean time i can advize you but only on my personal experience :? .Sitting at a desk all day is not good for your back, so getting up regulary, you are doing the right thing there :) .Sometimes with back issues we have to find our own limits :? , but your body will tell you when its had enough :''( , for example, if you feel moderate to severe pain ~X( .The pain running down your leg is nerve pain, are you on any medication ? :/ .It does limit the things you can do and can also alter the way we live our lives :( .I would be careful of what exercises you do, again ask your doctor about this :S .If you like swimming thats really good for your back :) .Keep us posted about how you get on. :H

Angie x
  • I know with my disk herniation, I was told no lifting, bending, or reaching. I was even shunned away from walking for periods of time or standing or even sitting. I wouldn't even hike until I know it's okay. Try to relax and try some ice until the doctor gets back with you. You don't want to farther injure yourself. Good luck.
  • I have been toying with the idea of using ice but I had always heard that is for only the first 24-48 hours after the inital injury which was 9 months ago. Have your Dr.s told you different? Like I said I haven't been given any info from my MD on what to do for it.

No, I am not on any medication for it either. Part of me is just so use to the pain that I don't even think about taking it. I take tylenol when I remember, ibuprofin works better but my husband and I started trying for kids a few weeks before I got my diagnosis and I don't want to take anything but tylenol until I know for sure I am not pregnant. And unfortunetly me nor my family in this area has a pool.

And I agree with you araine...Dr. Kovach is HOT!!!
  • My primary care doc with my initial disc herniation in 2003 told me not to lift, limit bending, reaching and twisting until visit with NS, because any of these could worsen the condition.
  • Hi,
    I would call the drs office to get the correct definition of "vertebra shifted out of position" that would be the first.
    As you most likely would want to avoid any activity that would aggravagte this.
    Now PERSONAL opinion only it could be "spondylolthesis" unstable vertebra which I had. I had both slight herniation at L/5 and spondylolthesis at S1. I had deep burning pain in my lower back/ach nothing very sharp. Not saying this is what it is , just guessing by what your writing.
    I had surgery to stablize the spine. Yes it helped. But other treatments were tried first as in meds/injections.
    Ice is a awesome pain reliever. 15 min every hour. Heat to some point ask your Dr though. Does not go for all injuries from personal experience.
    Just call leave a message with the secretary and go from there. Usually in most places depending on the size a NP will call back or the secretary themselves and tell you what you need to know.
    Can't really tell you what to do and not what to do.
    Just hang in there and get yourself some more answers from the neurosurgery place. I personally would lay off the stretches etc also until they can describe your injury a bit clearer. I would rest your back the best you can. Get up and walk while at your desk. Take a pillow to put behind you and mabye underneath you, for extra support at the chair. Don't know if you have a freezer if in a workplace, most do. Re usuable gel icepacks their flat and awesome when you need them. I also when I worked brought my heating pad and plugged in it underneath my desk.
    Huggies
    Terri >:D<

christine234 said:
    Until my appointment on the 17th. I have herniated disc at L5-S1 and one of my vertebrate is shifted out of position. Does anyone know how common it is to have both of these conditions? I have been trying to get my MD office to call me back so I can get the "Official" diagnosis names and do a little more research. My MD didnt give me any tips on what I should and shouldnt be doing: Is intermediate hiking ok? What are the better ways to sit when I am at my desk all day? I try to get up every hour and take a quick walk. Are there certain things I should be avoiding? I know not to run...especially since I forgot and ran a few steps earlier this evening with the dog (ouch all the way down my leg!). It really sucks how much this limits you on doing whatever it is you may want to do. Also are there any exercises I should be doing to help my back or is it better to wait to see what the Dr at the neurosurgery and spine place says? I stretch all the muscles in my legs everyday.

Thanks for any input!
  • 20 minutes off and 20 minutes on is great for inflammation. I have been going through this for almost 5 years and when the pain is at its worse, the ice still does the trick. For some heat works better and wet heat is the best. I have something called the back buddy. You heat it in micro for 1 /12 mins, it has soft beads in it that makes the heat moist. It covers my entire low back and fastens with velco in front. It stays warm for about 2 hours and you can actually go to sleep with it on as it can not burn you. It has been a lifesaver for me. You can find it in most drug stores by the ace wraps and hot/cold packs for about $20.
  • Hiya Chritine, >:D<
    With all the on going back problems you have :( , i would talk to the doctor about having a baby :? . This could put more pressure on your back, and cause further problems :S . Keep us posted. :H

Angie x
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.