Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

THIS IS OFF TOPIC ,THIS PAGE GETS THE MOST HITS EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS!!!!!!!

weakbackwweakback Posts: 154
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
"""""""""READ THIS"""""""""""
My mothers friend sent this too me PLEASE READ THIS !!!!!

Su bject: Phenylpropanolamine - THIS IS SERIOUS - please read !! &nb sp;

I received this information from a friend whose mother recently passed away."NO MY MOM DID NOT PASS AWAY THIS WAS SENT TOO ME BY ONE OF MY MOTHERS FRIENDS.....SHE IS A RN".
----------------------------------------------------------

Apparently, this was caused by a medication that is deadly. Here are the details, and I suggest you pass it on to your loved ones and others.

Subject: Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)

I would like to thank those of you who expressed condolences on the recent passing of my mother. She suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while she was driving home from my house on July 30th and passed away on August 3rd. My mother's stroke and passing was an enormous shock to my family, because she did not have any symptoms or risk factors for a stroke. Just the week before she had gone to her doctor for a check up and received a clean bill of health.

She did, however, develop a cold while she was visiting me and had taken Alka Seltzer Cold Plus for 3 days. Since her passing, we have learned that Alka Seltzer is one of the many cold medicines that contains Phenylpropanolamine (PPA), which can cause hemorrhagic stokes or cerebral bleeding, even with the first use. I am forwarding a list of other medications that currently use PPA.. These medicines are supposedly being recalled but my mother just purchased this medication less than two weeks ago. Pharmaceutical companies have known about this danger for years, we unfortunately, did not.

I urge you to review the list of medicines with PPA and avoid these medications. All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are dangerous. You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND. Please read this CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to everyone you know. STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient.

It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of the medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.

The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine :-

1. Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
2. Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
3 Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
4. Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
5. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (Cherry or Orange )
6. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
7. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
8. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine
9. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
10. Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
11. BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
12. BC Sinus Cold Powder
13. Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief
14. Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
15. Contac 12 Hour Caplets
16. Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
17. Dexatrim Caffeine Free=2 0
18. Dexatrim Extended Duration
19. Dexatrim Gelcaps
20. Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
21. Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
22. Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
23. Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
24. Dimetapp Elixir
25. Dimetapp 4-Hour Liquid Gels
26. Dimetapp 4-Hour Tablets
27. Dimetapp 12-Hour Extentabs Tablets
28. Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
29. Permathene Mega-16
30. Robitussin CF
31. Tavist-D 12-Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
32. Triaminic DM Cough Relief
33. Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head
34. Triaminic Sy rup Co ld & ; Amp; Amp Allergy
35. Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough

I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:

1 Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)
2. 3D Cold & Cough Berry
3. 3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small childr en, PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are informed. They can then pass it along to their families.

To confirm these findings, please take time to check the following:

http://www.fda. gov/cder/ drug/infopage/ ppa/
advertisement

Comments

• Check out this link

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/ppa.asp

"There is no comprehensive, updated list available from FDA. FDA is aware of emails circulating widely that list many products allegedly containing PPA. Those emails are no longer valid and should be ignored. Please read the labels of OTC products to determine if they contain PPA.
    The FDA has set up a toll-free number for PPA questions at (888) INFO-FDA. A direct line, although it is not toll-free, is (301) 827-4570. The FDA also has a Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) Information Page available on their web site. The FDA has advised that consumers go through their medicine cabinets, paying special attention to cold remedies and diet aids, and discard any medications that list phenylpropanolamine as one of their
    ingredients."
  • Please post in the medicine sections, instead other section where it doesnt belong....
  • STILL THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS.
    JUST IN CASE THEY HAVE OLD MEDS IN THE CABNET.

OOP'S sorry about the caps.......I was typing with my head down......LOL.
  • bigcat90 said:
    Please post in the medicine sections, instead other section where it doesnt belong....
    Please take a deep breath and don't worry about me ............this could save sombodies child so don't click on it if you don't want to read my post.
    WHAT PART OF OFF TOPIC DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ?
    Thank you.
    Dan
  • Spam you shouldnt have posted it everywhere,shame on you...
  • bigcat90 said:
    Spam you shouldnt have posted it everywhere,shame on you...
    That's just how important I thought it was.
    thank you for your view.
  • Don't make me drag you back over to chat!!! :> :P I'm too tired and sore to drag anything! =))
  • manalerie said:
    Don't make me drag you back over to chat!!! :> :P I'm too tired and sore to drag anything! =))
    OOWWWW, please take me drag me .....lol
    Sorry I did not know that posting the same thing in mutipul forums was a no no......and I did not like how I was approached....Case closed !

I hope this helps just one person out......then it will be worth all of the badgering.

Sleep well hon.
    Dan >:D<
  • Dan;

I support your efforts to help people and save their lives. The post clearly stated that you knew it was in the wrong place....your heart was in the right place!!!!

Yes, the information might have been known to some, but not to all!!! Those that are spending the time commenint on the post being in appropriate might be missing some other important news while they are wasting their time writing.

It is for reasons like this that I left SH before, there are some very kind and thoughtful people on here but then there are those that.....................

Thank you for trying to help..as a medical person I know that you probably just saved the life of a baby...we have many people that have relocated from many areas and might not have seen it!!
    You also just probably made one less call come into my office. If I was there that would have been appreciated as the phone rings off the hook all day with questions just like what you posted!!!

I just might be on my way out of here again....seems like it always happens and not worth the waste of time and the space on the posts...there are more important things!

Hip Hip Hooray for you....
    Ba Hum Bug to those that B-t--ed.

Cheers to you!
    Dee
  • Get over it. It's not like they're trying to sell something. It's out of concern, and it IS important. People can deal with one little post out of category. My goodness. I don't know what is so bad in your life that you're going to get so bent out of shape over someone posting something out of CONCERN to be HELPFUL. UGH. Some people disgust me and make me shake my head. To complain about someone trying to help is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. You should be thankful that some people in the world actually still care. Apparently you aren't one of them. Oh wait, you do care, about POINTLESS NOTHINGS... Just not about possibly SAVING LIVES. Cause THAT doesn't matter, right? I was having a good night and your immaturity and ridiculous uptight issues actually ruined it. Thanks. Ugh. Your disgusting attitude makes me want to swallow a ton of pain meds just to forget about how horribly selfish and inconsiderate some people in the world still are. You should be ashamed of yourself. I don't care who thinks I'm mean for writing this. I cannot stand people being persecuted for trying to help. That angers me more than anything.

To the original poster: I truly, honestly thank you for posting this. I find it VERY helpful, VERY informative, and very sincerely appreciated. Sometimes people only care about themselves and what they want and what they see fit... But thankfully there are people out there like you who care about others, even strangers, and want to help. I give you major kudos and I have an immense amount of respect for you. NEVER let anyone like this self centered grouch change who you are. You are wonderful. Thank you for being a concerned HUMAN BEING with feelings for those other than yourself. I applaud you. Thank you again.
  • I checked our medicine cabinet after reading this post. THREE different medicines contained this ingredient. Granted, they were kind of old, and probably should have been discarded anyway, but that probably wouldn't have stopped me from taking one if I had a bad cold. In the trash they go. Thank you, OP.
  • I checked our medicine cabinet after reading this post. THREE different medicines contained this ingredient. Granted, they were kind of old, and probably should have been discarded anyway, but that probably wouldn't have stopped me from taking one if I had a bad cold. In the trash they go. Thank you, OP.
  • I have came back to your post several times.
    I just want to let you know that when I first read it.I thought Wow, because not only did I find it interesting,and even though I had heard about this before it was a good reminder,I also felt that you put your heart and soul into writing it. Someone had posted earlier in the thread about this but you very well could of saved a life and that was my first thought way back when I first read your post.
    So I just want to say thankyou, Patsy
  • There are rules on this site about not making duplicate posts. However, rules can be flexible, and in this instance, I personally see no problem with posting this in multiple places. Let me tell you why, please.

This is the first time I have seen anything about this topic. I don't know where else it is posted, but I have not come upon it anywhere else. Many members only visit a few forums, myself included. I almost never visit the Pain Medications forum, which would have been the "on topic" category to put this in. However, the Back Surgery forum is the one most viewed. Does it not make sense to put this important message somewhere that everyone will see it? If the goal is to get the information out to the public, it should be everywhere, in my opinion.

Yes, we should all strive to follow the rules of the site. But when a rule becomes more important than the well-being of the members here, people get turned off. The admins of SH want this to be a friendly welcoming atmosphere, and we members need to help make it that way.

Dan, thank you for the information. I have several of these cold medicines in my home, and because of your post I now know to get rid of them before one of MY children have a reaction to it.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • =D> =D> Thank goodness! I get this letter emailed to me all the time, and have stopped forwarding it, because it is old information. But you have proved that some people may still have this in their homes! Just goes to show, you can never be too careful!
  • Cindy... there were multiple posts, that contained a link to this post, but I believe they were flagged as spam?

Anyway, I agree, this has definitely turned into an informative post...

• Did you check the ingredients for PPA? Just want to make sure that people are aware that these medicines are no longer produced with PPA, but it may be found in older meds.

From what I read, the newer meds without that ingredient are safe. I posted a link above, which provide information, and links to the FDA website
  • I'm sorry if my post was misunderstood, This is a very serious topic, and I was only throwing in a little teasing to a buddy of mine...

I hope no one took it the wrong way, I should have left the teasing out.

Thank you for your informative post Dan, you may have actually saved a life with it.
  • Yeah it may have info, but its spam! I just remembered I got this same email a few years back and it had the same header, "My mothers friend sent this too me PLEASE READ THIS !!!!!" Spam is Spam. Spam spam spam spam,spamity spam aspamity spam!
advertisement