Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do Doctors' offices offer shots for pain relief?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,607
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Pain Medications
I was curious if your doctors offer pain shots? I have heard some people on this forum say they have received shots at the office. In fact, my ex sister in law went in for a migraine, they gave her a shot of pain medication and sent her home. I think that this could be a wonderful benefit to us chronic pain sufferers. My reason being, Ive had 2 ER visits this year because my pain was severe and I had been throwing up for 4 days due to pain. If this was available, I would go to my dr for the much needed relief, save a few thousand dollars, I dont know. Of course if Drs do offer this, Im sure there would gave to be a pain contract or agreement between the two of you. :? I know some contracts have limitations on going to the ER. What do you guys think about this subject? Is it available to you? If it was, would you consider uing it in extreme circumstance? :H


  • You can contact, or your Doctor home health care. The Doctor prescribes the meds and the visitng nurse gives injections. Depends on where you live though. I'm getting trigger point therapy and I go home after those shots. Not sure if you're looking for that though...Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) i have to agree with Paul. those shots are not to be given lightly. i don't feel comfortable having that kind of injection available so readily. Jenny :)
  • Why? Do you need something like this? I always see the BD Sharps collector full of stuff at my PM's offices, but I dont know what the shots are.. I'm sure they've got morphine around somewhere for obvious reasons. I don't think your PM would want to do that, but rather just get you something for breakthrough pain on those terrible days, to complement your current meds.


  • Hiya >:D<
    Doctors (gp) has given me injections of morphine @) he also gave me diazapan, the idea of him giving me so much medication was so that i would relax mine spine :O , but that was when my back went and i couldnt move i was in so much pain:''( . Check it out with your doctor.good Luck! :H

    Angie x
  • I have gotten shots from my family doc.(GP)
    and from my rhumy,and once from my neurologist.
    I do not have a Pain Management Doctor.

    At times when I have gone in for pain the doc will give me a higher dose shot and then send me home with a script, this for me helps to get my pain under control the shot is usually much stronger then the medication he prescribes.

  • I used to get pain shots at my PCP, until I told them I was a pain mgt patient. I am just following my contract. If it's something else not related to my back that causes me pain, I'd either call the pain clinic and let them know and/or go to the PCP and have them contact my pain doc first.
  • I think it depends on what medication you're talking about. I've had shots of Toradol-an NSAID-several times (PCP and PM offices both) at the Dr's office, but never anything narcotic/opioid. That doesn't mean they don't offer the stronger stuff (if you have a driver that is) but I've not heard of it/had it done. I think it might be a good idea to broach the subject with your Dr when you see him next. Just put it the way you have here, that it could save a trip to the ER as well as lots of money. My Dr. is always making sure stuff is going to be covered by medicaid before he orders it and always points out what would be cheaper, etc. because he knows how poor I am. I'm sure not all docs are like that but you should talk to your doc about this and see what he has to say on the subject? Ya never know, might save you a lot of money!

    Let us know if you do ask...I'm curious what other Dr's do offer via injection in the office.
  • It is probably going to depend upon the doctor. I've only had a Toradol injection at my doctor's office and one at Urgent Care (both were for migraines). I was throwing up so bad with the migraine for about three days, I ended up dehydrated and at the ER getting fluids, phenegran and right before they sent me home a shot of demerol. The doctor's offices around here do not stock any narcotics at all. Do not know about the Pain Mangement Clinic as I have not been there yet.

    I, personally, would only get a narcotic injection if nothing else was working and I could not function at all, but it would have to be extreme.

  • Last month I had 10 facet injections at the same time. It was pretty brutal. When they wheeled me out, the nurse took one look at my face and immediately gave me a shot of something she said would "take away the pain and make me happy for the rest of the day", so I'm guessing most PM doctors have some narcotics available.

    Also, when I was 9 months pregnant with my son, I had an awful UTI and couldn't stop throwing up. My OBGYN felt that was unsafe for me and the baby, so she gave me a shot of something that totally knocked me out for 24 hours straight. Sometimes I think something like that would be a blessing for super bad pain days, and I'm sure most doctors carry those types of meds. Don't know if you could convince them to use on you though.
  • I was only wondering this because of other posts through other members. I kind of got some nasty comments to me from other members about this post. I was simply starting a discussion because I personally do not have a pain management dr, there are none where I live or in the surrounding areas. My general dr takes care of me for everything so I know NOTHING about what pm drs do. I have heard others talk about going to their drs and receiving these pain shots, and am going to ask my general dr, which I doubt she does, but when the pain gets so bad that I cant control it at home, ~X( it must be nice to have this sort of option.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,277
    in your area, then it would seem you have no other option but to see if you GP can do that.
    Please keep in mind that when you state others can go to their doctors to get a pain shot - that it is a nice option.
    I am not sure I would call it an option.
    I am confused a bit when you state going to the doctors for a pain shot. The term 'Pain shot' is way to general.
    There are cortisone shots, trigger point injections, etc, but I cant say I know of a doctor that is going to give
    a pain shot, which I presume you mean some narcotic to relieve pain.
    From reading your various post in different areas, it seems to me that your biggest concern and requirement at this time is to get your pain under control and manageable.
    That alone is a multi-facet approach. It wouldn't be solved just by 'pain shots' I apologize in the fact that I am also confused regarding your current medication mix.
    If I recall in one of your posts you dosage was increased and you were doing ok, but in another post the dosage was not helping you.
    I think it would be easier if you kept on one thread, so that everyone could follow what is going on with you.
    Having all the information, your condition, your treatments, your diagnosis, your medications would be helpful when people reply to some of your posts.
    I feel for anyone that suffers from chronic pain especially for those that do not have any organized plan to try to manage it.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have no P.M. doc
    This has never been brought up to me with none of my doc's.
    Is there a reason a person should have a P.M. doc?
    I don't really know if that would benefit me or not.
    what is the reason behind a P.M. doc compared to getting my pain meds from my doc's I have now?
    Do you think that my doc's would mention this to me if they thought I would benefit from P.M. doc?
    Sorry 4 all the ? and I hope I'm not out of line with where I posted my ?'s If someone out there could give me somewhat of a idea that would be great and much appreciated.
  • Our (GP) surgery is a medical centre, they do small procedures there , like give morphine injections @) , ingrowing toenails :''( , physio theropy :O , that sort of thing. When my back gave way he had no choice but to come out straight away, :''( i just didnt want to go to the hospital. He bought the injections with him :) .

    Angie :H
  • Pain Management docs specialize in the treatment of chronic pain. If a surgeon feels there's nothing that he can do for you at the moment, he may refer you to a PM doc. Or if after surgery you continue to have pain and require continual pain meds, he may refer you to PM.

    Also Pain Management clinics can do procedures and prescribe medications that surgeons and PCP's cannot. So if it is determined that you would benefit from a PM clinic, then you would generally be referred to one.

  • Thanks for explaining a few things for me. I have a better idea now. Patsy
Sign In or Register to comment.