Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLATINUM INFRARED HEATING PAD

charryccharry Posts: 5,753
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
Hi Everyone, I bought a platinum infrared thermal heating pad and it provides heat and circulation 2 1/2 inches under the skin to muscles. A regular heating pad produces heat to the skin at 2-3 cm only.It costs alot but is covered by most insurance plans with a prescription. After one month of treatment it's supposed to help chronic pain. I've had it 2 days only though and it's helped somewhat so far for that exhausting continuous pain for a short time. Take care and see you around. Charry
P.S. Wish me luck more trigger injections tomorrow. This is week 5 of 6 weeks of therapy. No real lasting effects though for me yet.
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• I once fell asleep with a regular heating pad on my abdomen and got a bad burn on a scar. I wonder if there is the same danger. Otherwise, I like to put heat on my painful areas as it seems to relax the area and soothe it. I use microwavable gel heating pad that is supposed to use moist heat. It works great but you have to be careful you don't overheat it. It is a trial and error figuring out how long to heat it...I'll be interested in finding out how well this one works.... :) .jade
  • This pad is supposed to help chronic pain and maybe even heal annular tears. My anesthetist told me this. It can't burn if you fall asleep with it on. It penetrates 2.36 inches into the muscles. A regular heating pad uses higher heat and only touches the surface of skin by half inch. Although i think moist heat can penetrate also and it can be soothing. At first I felt too warm with hot flushes but that's eased up a bit. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I visited a naturopathic doctor a few times and used his Far Infrared heating pad this last year- it was the size of the massage table. It was beyond amazing. So relaxing, so detoxing, and I will seriously consider getting one should I ever be able to afford it. I'm not sure how to get a prescription for one? If I had one in my home, I would use it practically every day.

My husband also used it once when he was having a major gastrointestinal attack and he couldn't believe how relaxed he was and how it relieved his pain for quite a few hours.

Hope you have great ongoing relief. I recommend anyone interested to search the Internet for far infrared therapy and check it out. If you can find one in your area to try out, I would really recommend it.

Cheri
  • I realize this is an old thread -- but I wanted to tell you that I kept reading your posts where you mentioned the infrared heating pad and I decided to order one.

I absolutely love it. It was worth every penny. I'd never heard of the product prior to reading your posts, so I just wanted to say "Thank you."

Cheers ~

xx Gwennie
  • I just love my infrared platinum heating pad and it just feels so good. I'm glad it's helping you. >:D< Charry
  • I believe these are no-nos for people with SCS devices and pain pumps, much like ultrasound therapy and mri.
  • Is anyone using the Thermotex brand? It's getting a lot of good reviews from users. (5 stars) The cost is kind of putting me off a bit. $219.00 is a bit pricey. That's what they want for the platinum. The gold is $100 bucks cheaper, but has only one panel and supposedly not very pliable. My pain is both cervical and lumbar area.
  • I posted this prior to getting my SCS and I suspect it would be a no-no as you suggest! But it sure felt awesome!
  • for folks with SCSs? I love using a heating pad on my legs where my pain is. All my wires, IPG etc. is in my back and butt. I'll try to remember to ask my surgeon when I see him later this month.
  • A regular heating pad or icepack etc, just warms the area. The ultrasound and probably this platinum unit would interact with the ipg itself, I'm guessing something akin to placing metal in a microwave. Causing either the unit to malfunction/overheat/internal burns?

I really don't know how extreme the reaction is or could be. I would not want to find out either!

Theres a whole list of don't and what to do about interference, I know Medtronic has it all posted.
    I'm sure the other makers do to.
  • I ran across and old post about infrared heating pads and noticed that you had hardware in your back. I love my infrared heating pad and have a lot of hardware in my back. My surgeon said it was ok but other people have told me they heat up the hardware. Do you have any problems with it?? Thank you.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
advertisement