Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi 2 wks since c6-7 acdf any info or advice!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It's been 2 weeks since my c6-7 acdf for a very bad herniated disc. I really hadn't had any problems prior but was in an accident in July which my Dr thinks brought this on. One of my questions is how long does it take to be able to lift 50lbs, my job requires that. I can't return until I can do that. Very scary because I'm a single mother of 2 teenage daughters and that's my only source of income. I am much better since my surgery though, so thankful!! I do still have quite a bit of pain but its primairly my neck/back. Still have weakness in my left arm/hand which was tld would improve over time and therapy. So if anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks!
Melissa
advertisement

Comments

• What kind of surgery did you have? What is you Dr saying?
  • I had an c6-c7 Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion. My Dr. said it will be at least three months, but I was wondering what people had actually experienced with this procedure.
    Thanks
  • I will be having the same procedure in a few weeks. I also need to be able to lift 50lbs before being allowed to retun to work.

Any idea how soon that might be (I do realize everyone has a different recovery period).

Thanks,
    Elle
  • Ok here I go again. I am 6 wks po and will be returning at 8 wks to work. I work in a factory that says I must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Well I can't and who knows if I ever will be. My doctor is letting me go back at 2 months so I can try to keep my job. My restrictions are very tight and will not be changed because he had said he doesn't want me to screw up the surgery or put more stress on the top or bottom. I will be on restrictions for 3 months and then be reavalued. All I am going to be able to do is sit, stand, walk and talk so we will see what they have for me to do. I have started PT 2 weeks early and boy is that whipping me. but I know it will get better. I had c5 and c6 done and I still have weakness on my left side. When I was at PT on Tuesday my therapist also asked me what I am going to do for a job change. I laughed, because that is all I can do. I understand what you are going through about work and you can PM me because we are in the same boat. The unknowing is the hardest part of what we are going through. When my therapist asked me on what I want to accomplish during PT. I said be able to move furniture, she said that probably wont happened and I may not be able to paint a master piece on a ceiling. I am glad she has a good since of humor. Then I said to be able to put my coat on with out hurting. I am rushing and pushing my body a little more then I should and at times I can tell and then it is on with the ice. Just remember you only have one neck so just let it heal.
advertisement