Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS or Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 43 year old male that has had 2 Lamanectomies 1986,1998 and a 3 level Prodisc replacement in 2003. The disc replacement was and still is a success. In July 2005 I was in a horrific car accident where 20 people were injured 4 killed and. I walked after my car was hit by a run away dump truck hit on three sides and burned to the ground. After the accident I began to feel mild back pain which continued to get worse. To make a long story longer. I had a CT scan and they discovered a Pars Defect at L5/S1. I have had every shot known to man, am on pain meds and I am still in chronic pain. I had a SCS trial with the ANS and this seemed to help. The pain Management Doc is an advocate of SCS. The orthopedic surgeon that accompanied me to Germany w and assisted on the 3 Level disc replacement feels a fusion is a better option. His concern is that there is a "honeymoon" phase with the SCS and once you have built a tolerance I will may be back in the same boat as before. This is a guy that is not a slice and dice advocate for surgery, but he feels the fusion will stabilize the mechanics of L5/S1 and give me at least 50% relief which is what the pain management doc has said. I would be interested in hearing from any SCS (ANS) patients or post ADR patients (Prodisc) that have had to go under the knife again. The thought of a 4th surgery makes me ill.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you supportand answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear you are heading for surgery. you don't say if you have tried any conservative measures? have you considered a second or even a tried opinion? the more information you have the better. i am not in your situatiion but i do know we have pain in common. good luck as you progress and please keep us informed. Jenny :)