Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

epidural lumbar next week-Did anyone find improvement?

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
Today I had trigger therapy with the epinephrine injections for the fifth week in a row. I told the Pain Doctor it's not helping, so he said I could have a epidural lumber with steroids next week. Has anyone had a epidural that has helped them? Thanks Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• Ive never had any relief with epidural injections .The only thing you have on your side is not working I feel that they work a little better the less you do after you have one .Thats just my opinion from my experiance good luck hope it goes good for you.
  • Hiya Charry >:D<
    I had an epidurals before and it didnt work and the Pain Management said it was because i went back to work straight away :S . I just did to much to soon :''( , but it drives me crazy sitting still plus i hurts if i sit,lay, or walk for to long :S .
    Anyway what have you got to lose by just trying it :O , and to see if it works for you :) . Keep us posted how you get on. :H

Angie x
  • They have only lasted for about 1-2 weeks tops. But I felt great for 1-2 weeks!
  • Hi Charry,

I had one cortisone epidural injection, my last. My doctor hit the nerve root and I had a dramatic increase in pain. I didn't find this out for a while though as he said I had no nerve damage and didn't know what was causing my pain.

I'm getting better after about 4 months, acupunture, pain meds and another doctor.

Never again,

Carol
  • Hi, Charry. Over the past three years, I've had 10 sets of lumbar epidural injections (two shots each time, one right side, one left). They were a godsend for me. The first didn't really help, but after that, I felt almost normal for a time. They do wear off, though. For me, the pain relief would last a couple of months. The last one, however, has not really helped much at all. My doc's told me it's time to consider surgery. Everyone reacts differently, though. I hope they help you.

One tip - do take it easy after the shot. I used to take an icepack with me and put it on my back immediately after the shot, then take some ibuprofen. Then go home and rest for the day. That helped keep the swelling and injection discomfort to a minimum.
  • Charry, I am a believer. I've had maybe 10 in the last two years with varying results. Usually there is some relief, sometimes great relief for six to eight weeks or so. But the main benefit seems to be in identifying the locations that work best. Trial and error so to speak. Even though my doc did a little "mapping" with locals, the steriods last long enough to better identfy the pain triggers. One weird thing though, is that the pain sometimes jumps to another location. So next time we hit that spot, or both. In the long run I've gotten better over all, with both site pain and sciatica. I'm a go-for-it kinda guy - anything for relief. Good luck!
  • I have had many ESI's for leg pain (got the epidurals at L4/L5) and every single time they worked really well. I have them done at one of the best hospitals in America - so that helps - in a hospital setting by a great Pain Management doctor. They tell me to stay off my feet completely the first day, and ice several times. Then you are not supposed to do anything strenuous for the first week. DOn't be discouraged if you don't get immediate relief. It takes a week before I really start to feel them but then I feel terrific for a few months. Yes, they wear off, but my PM doc says I can have 3 a year. I have had surgery that totally failed and much more leg (and now back, also) pain than before and will probably go back to the ESI's 3x year. It's a godsend to know they are available.

Note that WHO does them makes a huge difference. My surgeon had me have an ESI with someone he recommended prior to surgery and it did absolutely nothing to help. Find the most highly qualified PM doc you can!
    Rosa
  • Hi Charry,

I had many ESI's at and never got relief from them. I have many levels of issues, he would only do 2 levels at a time so that may be the reason they didnt work for me.

I have friends that feel great afterwards and swear by them. Its depends on so much!

Give it a try once or even twice and see how it goes. I found that they are a piece of cake, especially if you have had a discogram. Facet injections were alittle worse. My PM doctor did them in his office under a fluroscope, and I was able drive home within about 15 minutes.

Good Luck,
    Shell
  • I had slight relief of the pain down my leg for a couple of weeks, then it was right back. We did another injection, but that one didn't help at all.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement