Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is surgery the only answer for stenosis?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
T3-T7 Laminectomy for Spinal stenosis w/ autograft fusion. In October 2006 anything that could go wrong went wrong w/ surgery. For example, DVT(Blood Clots) and PE occurred Post-op, MRSA infected my wound. The infection caused a Debridement of the wound. In short, Anesthesia twice.

Recovery, PT walker, cane and brace. Shed all devices by April 2007, but still walked with a limp. Never gained 100% strength in my legs. Due to Insurance I could not afford outpatient therapy ($350 Per session out of pocket) may have gotten closer to 100%. I lost 60 lbs, 350 lbs to 290 lbs. Note I am 6' 3". Between Post op and September 2007.

Jan 2008 I fell off the diet excersise kick and the weight came back I am 345-350 lbs the same weight before the surgery. Today I am suffereing stenosis because of disc bulg again at T5-T6. No Bowel or bladder loss but significant weakness in the legs I am using the walker again. No Endurance

Doctors recommend surgery but i am gun shy, I am pointing to the weight I gained back. Please give me thoughts.

I know I &*^^ up by gaining weight back.

To date:
I have No pain just tingle/numbness in legs and leg weakness and endurance issue. I have fallen when bending with knees low to the ground like squatting.

Has anybody lost significant weight to reduce compression(stenosis) of spinal cord?

How long has someone went with stenosis before getting surgery?

Thanks and Blessing to all

Please recommend alternatives to surgey
-Chiropractor
_Accupuncture
-Deep Tissue massage

advertisement

Comments

• I can relate to the weight issue. I started at 258 lbs before surgery and am now down to 240 lbs. I know what a struggle it is to lose and maintain while in pain. I am only 5'4" so I am morbidly obese. While I do not have stenosis, I can tell you that even minimal weight loss definitely helps with back pain. The weight puts more stress and strain on your spine. You might want to check out the alternative treatments topic for ideas on alternatives to surgery. I have also had a failed surgery and refuse to have any more unless I am completely immobilized. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer yiou support and answer what questions we can. well, all i can say is look at a 25# bag of rice and that is only half of what you are carrying around. look at another one!! surgery may not have to be the answer and something to avoid at all costs. if losing weight is a possible cure or will make your pain better then i think you have no other choice!! there are so many reasons to not have that weight on your body!! please think about it carefully and get on board with a program. of course a doctor always knows best!! we have a weight loss forum here so pm me if you are interested. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to SH. We do have weight loss forum and excersize and rehab forum. It is used by those who want to support each other in back pain/weight loss struggle. Hope you find the support and relief you need. PM me if you would like.