Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone spurs in neck

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey guys, it's been 8 weeks, remember I was going crazy...neck, hand arm, shoulder stuff going on? I had an MRI, I have bone spurs. I had an epidural today, hope it helps. I never had any symptoms before I fell 2.5 yrs ago. Is that possible? I did get an attorney. He said that all the doctors will have to say that the fall put my in a tail spin, so to say...as the fall did not create the bone spurs or facet joint arthritis. Work Comp in Minnesota only pay 40% after taxes. A friend at work got hurt and that's what he told me, anyway. I did not have nay symptoms of this stuff before I fell..is that possible or am I crazy?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi I got similar bone spurs with my MRI results today. I have numbness in neck to shoulder. Some tingling when I sleep on my side. I wonder when ours strated as well. I am 53 and have neck tightness for decades but nothing like this. Unfortuantely I had a PE 5.5 weeks ago and am dealing with light headedness and periodic anxiety. I threw a clot weeks after arthroscopic hip surgery.

All these new conditions even after swimming a few miles a week this summer. Getting used to having these maladies and not exercising is troublesome.

We just have to get good care and keep positive!

If you want to compare bone spur treatments with me I would appreciate the INFO. I am seeing a neuro-surgeon this Tuesday.
    Mike
  • I too have bone spurs/osteoarthritis on the facet joint of c5 , although mild to moderate. My neuro asked me if I've fallen...and I said no, because I thought it would be a recent thing he was asking about... I have told him I was a forcep birth and had temporary facial paralysis on the left side and it was a hard birth on my mother. I have told him that I danced tap, jazz, gymnastics, and ballet for 8 to 10 years in my life...But I didn't mention that I was in a car accident that spun the car around and I passed out momentarily from it, and once when I was 11 I had a flu shot felt nauseous, went into the doctors bathroom and passed out and woke up through the stall door on the floor on my left side.

Is it possible for injuries and wear and tear from unknown things 13 years ago is now showing itself?
  • Well I guess it takes years for bone spurs to form. How ever, you may not have any symptoms until SOMETHING happens.
    I had an epidural yesterday, it's suppose to reduce the
    swelling so the nerves don't pinch and cause all those symptoms. even nausea and dizziness. I hope I can get this doctor to state that a fall could have set off my symptoms.
    When I went in for the epidural, I asked the doctor if he viewed my MRI and he said it doesn't look good. GEE thanks!
    He said that nerves are trying to fight for valuable real
    estate. Hey, I can understand that. I do feel alittle better today. Still cramping in hands and forearms, (so I'm almost done typing for awhile, lol) I read somewhere I think Mayo CLinic website that bonespurs, if in the right spot can interfere with breathing...I too get anxiety. I still don't kow how exactly this forum works. I will try to put mike and butterflypaiin in my buddy list.
  • akwolf4ever said:
    Well I guess it takes years for bone spurs to form. How ever, you may not have any symptoms until SOMETHING happens.
    I had an epidural yesterday, it's suppose to reduce the
    swelling so the nerves don't pinch and cause all those symptoms. even nausea and dizziness. I hope I can get this doctor to state that a fall could have set off my symptoms.
    When I went in for the epidural, I asked the doctor if he viewed my MRI and he said it doesn't look good. GEE thanks!
    He said that nerves are trying to fight for valuable real
    estate. Hey, I can understand that. I do feel alittle better today. Still cramping in hands and forearms, (so I'm almost done typing for awhile, lol) I read somewhere I think Mayo CLinic website that bonespurs, if in the right spot can interfere with breathing...I too get anxiety. I still don't kow how exactly this forum works. I will try to put mike and butterflypaiin in my buddy list.
    well I hope that helps. I've had two injections in the neck, he says it is like the stuff the dentist uses, so I guess it numbs the area or something? But those don't really work for me. My psychatrist was wondering why I haven't done pain management, and the PA said all they'll do is give me an epidural. I don't know, but I am only 26, and I don't want to be on pills forever.

• Hi AK,

Thanks for the friend :* We all could use support in the next few rounds!
    Hope your epidural reduces your symptoms. It is funny I have been really light headed/semi dizzy at times since this numbing started. Do you have this symptom?

Well today I am going to the sleep shoppe to get an assortment of cervical pillows. Woke up to that numb arm thru fingers gross feeling today. I wonder if there's a website to get some. Can't use thick ones. My reading in bed the last few years with 2 to 3 pillows is one of the reasons for my neck probs. The chiropractor sent it on the nerve 2 weeks ago and now my MRI shows large spurs along with the shoulder numbness- 24/7.

My first neuro surgeon appt is this Tuesday. Wonder if I should make another to his office partner to get a second?

Enjoy your pain free time!
    Mike
  • I just wanted to share my story. My MRI showed I had bone spurs C3-C7. The largest complex was at c5/c6. 10 years ago I was in a MVA where I broke my C7. My NS said the bone spurs were a result of that trauma. I have dealt with Migraines and neck pain ever since. During all this I also had surgery on both shoulders due to injuries suffered in the accident. But my symptoms didn't start to get unbearable until last year when I returned from Iraq. My neck, back, shoulder, and arm were in severe pain. I was also dealing with the numbess and muschle twitching. My NS suggested I try the epidural injections but I opted for the surgery. I had ACDF on C5/C6 on 20 May 08. My NS has recently released me to full duty. I am back to running again and playing sports like golf, bowling, softball. I have even taken my son out riding ATV's. I feel great now and I am thankful that my surgery was a success.

I know that my results may not be typical but I hope that it can at least encourage you to know that it is possible to return to your normal life after this surgery. If I can help by sharing my experiences with you, please let me know. I feel very blessed with what I have been through and I want to help anyone else I can.

Take care and God Bless.

JT
  • Hi Ak, I was wondering how you are after the epidurals? Have they faded away? I sure hope you're better.

Unfortunately I am getting a little more light headed everyday. Glad my 14 yr old helped me today. Wonder if I should go to the ER?- I'm very lightheaded, although not room-spinning-dizzy. Tuesday for a surgeons take.

Are you and your nerologist trying to keep you from surgery?

Hope you're well!
advertisement