Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mom passed away

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Matters of the Heart
I know this if totally off topic, but just wanted to post to the friends that I have made here. We received a phone call on Tues. morning that our Mom had had a spell, and that they gave her maybe a couple of days to live. So Tues. night my husband and I made the trip from Tennessee to Iowa, which is a 12hr drive. I was on the way to the doctor that morning in regards to the follow up to the fever I had been dealing with for several days. So while at Drs. office we told them what was going on and asked about the fact of me just having had surgery 2 wks ago, and traveling. She told me as long as I alternated between sitting, laying down, and stopping often for me to walk, it would be okay. The majority of the trip I laid in the back seat stretched out. As soon as we got into town we went directly to the nursing home, and spent the whole day sitting with Mom. Although she was basically comatose, we spoke to her and just spent time with her. My twin sis, big brother and his girlfriend also made it in. My older sis did not make it in till tonight after Mom had already passed. I know I have not been keeping to drs. instructions for last couple of days, but Mom came first.
Thanks for listening to me rattle, but it is time to go to bed and try to get some sleep.
advertisement

Comments

• I hope that this poem can comfort you just a little.

The Rose Still Grows Beyond The Wall

Near shady wall a rose once grew
    Budded and blossomed in God's free light,
    Watered and fed by morning dew,
    Shedding its sweetness day and night.

As it grew and blossomed fair and tall,
    Slowly rising to loftier height
    It came to a crevice in the wall,
    Through which there shone a beam of light.

Onward it crept with added strength
    With never a thought of fear or pride
    It followed the light through the crevice length
    And unfolded itself on the other side

The light, the dew, the broadening view,
    Were found the same as they were before
    And it lost itself in beauties new
    Breathing its fragrance more and more

Shall claim of death cause us to grieve
    And make our courage faint or fall
    Nay, let us faith and hope receive
    The Rose Still Grows Beyond the Wall

Scattering fragrance far and wide
    Just as it did in days of yore
    Just as it did on the other side
    Just as it will forever more.

Author: Unknown
  • Hiya Glor >:D< >:D<
    Just wanted to say i am sorry to hear about your loss :( . Just take it easy now and do not over do it. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Angie x >:D<
  • are not off topic at all....you are in Matters of the Heart and so it is very appropriate. I am so sorry for your loss , I cannot even imagine what you must be going through. If there is anything that I can ever do for you then please just let me know....take care....Miki
  • Hi Glor,

I'm very sorry for your loss. The bond between a mother and daughter is something that no words can ever describe. When our mothers leave us, it is unlike anything we have ever experienced and nothing can prepare us for. My mom left 10 years ago this month and I still think of her every day. I have one of the happiest pictures of her I could find and it sits on my desk. When I think of her I think of the good times and the good qualities, she was and is after all "mom".

My best to you and your family,

"C"
  • Hi Glor,
    I am so sorry about your Mom but really glad you got to see her before she passed away. I am sure this was a difficult trip for you so soon after surgery. Even if she was not awake I am sure she knew you were with her and it gave her comfort.
    LJ
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I can only try to imagine what you are feeling right now as my mum is still alive. The only thing I can relate to your pain is how lost I've felt since my parents moved 1500 miles away, but I know that's hardly the same thing. I fully believe that when our loved ones die they are called home to be with our heavenly father. Your mom is smiling down on you and will be with you in every breath you take. I know that's little consolation but I hope you can take some comfort in that thought. We're here for you as you try to get through this very trying time, OK? Try to hang in there and give yourself a rest whenever you need it. The last thing you need right now is a flare up of the pain. Take care of you-if you don't you'll not be any good to anyone and right now your family needs you as much as you need them.

Memory Eternal...
  • Gloria....Im sad you've lost your Mom. Today marks the third anniversary of my Mom's Memorial service...as she passed away on Sept 27. I was in so much pain that I couldn't even carry her ashes, but did fulfill one of her requests...that I sing at her service.
    Sending my prayers to you and yours for comfort and strength.

Remember A Mother's Love lives on in our hearts forever...

• Glor:

I am deeply saddened at the loss of your mother. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and yours.

Jeaux
  • glor- so sorry for your loss..my prayers are with you and your family...jade
  • Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother....I will say a prayer for her and your family...
  • I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. >:D< >:D< >:D< for you hon.
  • Gloria,
    I am so glad you were able to make the trip to see your mother. I am so sorry for your loss. Grieving is one of the hardest things I have had to do. There are no rules or guidelines, just a lot of sloppy break downs. Be kind to yourself. As others have said your mother is always with you, i just did not like the new relationship. Time takes time.
    jane
  • sorry to hear of your loss. Like somebody already mentioned, I am sure it was comforting to you and to her that you were by her side. I hope that she had a long good life and that you have lots of good memories to keep in your heart.

• My condolences to you and your family as well.
  • Thanks to everyone for their words of comfort and warm thoughts and prayers. Yes, it meant so very much to be able to be here by my Mom's side for the last moments of her life. She had Lewy Body disease with dementia, which is similar to Alzheimers, but can be much more aggressive. When we were sitting with her in her room, we would talk to her and just conversed like normal.
    Ironically, her sister had just passed away about a week and a half ago, and her family were all here in town for her memorial service, so we were all able to attend that, which under different circumstances we would not have been able to attend. Needless to say it has been a very emotional past few days. We have Mom's visitation tomorrow, with her funeral service on Mon. Mom's wishes were to be cremated, so after those services her remains will be cremated, and we will be able to inter her ashes at the cemetary on Tues. Again, thanks to everyone for being so supportive. >:D<
  • Glor i am really sorry to hear of ur mothers passing.......i understand this is an emotional time for u..u are in my thoughts and prayers
  • Glor,
    Not at all off topic.....How are you doing? It must be comforting to have all your family there with you, but don't forget to take care of your needs. I had a cevical fusion in 1993, 3 days after my surgery, my younger brother died. My mom was devastated, and his twin was shattered. I forgot to care for me, and had a difficult recovery from my fusion. Please take care of yourself and know that I am thinking of you. Try to even laugh a little, when my brother died we talked about the funny things and laughed til we cried. It was an amazing release.
    Take care
    Sagehen
  • glor i am saying a prayer for your mom, you, and your family and friends for your lost. i know these times are very difficult and sad. God bless you.
  • Gloria,

Have been thinking of you these past few days, wondering how you are getting on.

I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your mum, please accept my condolences. Its never easy to lose anyone, especially a parent. However they are with you every step you take, they helped make you.

I hope your back issues aren't too bad at the moment. Trying to cope with your grief and back pain would be too hard to deal with.

I am sending you lots of love, hugs and positive thoughts to you and your family at this sad time.

Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers
    Danni x
  • Danni,
    I'm doing okay for the most part. I have just been trying to relax since coming back from Iowa after my Mom's funeral. Unfortunately I'm still dealing with the infection in my incision. :?? It has been draining now for a week, and doesn't seem to be clearing up. I have another appt with my ns tomorrow so I will let ya'll know how that goes. Last night and today, we have been enjoying the company of one of our grandsons. :* The past few days have been somewhat melancholy as fall was my Mom's favorite time of year and we have had very typical fall days lately.
advertisement