Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have minimally-invasive TLIF?

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi-

I just scheduled a two level (L4-S1) minimally invasive TLIF surgery for December 3. (I am not doing it earlier because we have had a trip to Disney planned for over a year during Thanksgiving week.)

I am interested in hearing about anyone's experience with having this procedure done, especially with the minimally invasive technique. The neurosurgeon said that I would only be in the hospital for two nights, there would be less blood loss, no cutting of muscles and the surgery would be about 3 hours. He has done the surgery 100s of times. This is compared to another surgeon I saw who wanted to do a PLIF with a 5 hr surgery, 4-5 night hospital stay, and cutting of muscles.

I am very excited about the minimally invasive approach. The articles that I have read about it sound promissing. So, I would like to see if anyone else has had this and if there are any down sides to the procedure?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• I personally have no idea. I wish I did.
    I had a 2 level PLIF revision and it only took 2 hrs with a 2 night hospital stay.
    1st , 1 level PLIF was 1 1/2 hours same thing except 3 night hospy stay do to me being so whiney and on such a high dose of IV meds. 6inch scar.
    No blood lose and no cutting of the muscle. My drs technique anyway. Yes I have a 8 inch scar in my back(2nd surgery) but they also used glue and steri strips , no staples or stitches for either surgery.
    Now you will find every drs opinion is different. There is surgeries on here that have gone from 1 1/2 hrs to 9 hrs plus. For the same exact surgery. Depends on the Dr.
    I imagine someone will come along soon and explain their experience and recovery..

Hang in there!!
    Have a great trip to disney!!
    Good luck with surgery!!!
    Terri O:) >:D<
  • Hi Anjuan, I have posted this before a few times but I can't remember if you were one of the folks I did it for.
    So anyway, here is a link to a terrific minimally invasive TLIF video, very informative. :) Cali-Sue

http://www.or-live.com/genesishealth/1677/
  • The TLIF seemed to be worse for me for some reason. The PLIF was more of a nuisance that pain; although, with the PLIF i had a nasty reaction to the anesthetic(vomitting), but that was because i was under for like 6 hrs. For the TLIF, i was in the hospital for 5 days, had 21 staples, and it took me about 12 weeks to get back on my feet. For the PLIF, i was in the hospital for 2 days, no staples and inverted stitches so no pulling out stitches, and it took me only 6 weeks to get myself back some what. I guess it does matter to the person, surgeon, and the condition that you are in prior to surgery.All i can say is, talk to your doc, count your options, and make the best decision. I had to have the PLIF because the TLIF failed, and everything from L3-S2 became unstable; now, im not saying that is going to happen to everyone, but it is a risk for any back surgery. God bless and keep in touch
  • I could not have the min. invasive kind because my case was "too complicated"-I wish I could have!! I have a cousin who DID have the min. invasive kind and his recovery has gone well! I know that he had to take pain meds and was in the hospital for 2-3 days. Surgery was around 4 hours-vs mine, which was 9 hours and I was in the hospital for 4 days. He has a couple small incisions-I have a 9" incision and had 40 staples. If you can do it the less invasive way....do it! Good luck!
  • I had the TLIF on June 18, and was home on Friday the 20th. Was suppose to go home on Thursday, but n/s got stuck in surgery late. I was up and walking the next day, showering on Friday, n/s used this heavy duty plastic bandage that only comes off with daily showering. I had the dissovlable stitches inside, glue on outside. I did have some trouble with the stitches, my body didn't like the knots on the end. I was up and moving everyday after going home. The ride home was great. I was given two 5mg lortabs and sent home. The drive was over 2 hours, but was much better then the drive to hospital. Just to let you know, I was on Opana 15mg, twice daily, with reg Opana 5mg for breakthrough. I have been taking on the Lortab and Robaxin since leaving hospital. The first 2 weeks were little tough, but got easier every day. My scars are small, 1 on each side of the L5S1 area, about 2.5 inches long.
    Let me know if you need anything else.

Debra
  • Thanks for the info txtornedo13. Hi again Anjuan! Had a bad weekend pain wise. The rest of my family were gone for the weekend and I was home by myself, thought it would help with relaxing and dealing with the pain....didn't help much.
  • I want to thank everyone for their comments. I really appreciate them. I am happy that I have found a surgeon that will do the minimaly invasive procedure and has a lot of experience doing it.

Sparky, I am sorry to hear that you had a bad weekend pain wise. I was doing ok, but then I sucked it up to go to a pumpkin patch/apple orchard yesterday. I managed with the instant heating pads and meds. Today I have been paying for it and am in pain tonight. The good thing is that I was off for the holiday so I didn't have to work and could take it easy. I hope your week is better.
advertisement