Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good foot gone bad....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L5S1 herniated disc surgery in March 2008. Two years prior to that I had heel pain in my left foot. Was treated by a podiatrist and had orthotics made for my shoes. My surgery affected the right side of my body..Siactica pain and numbness in right foot. I have now gone to a foot Orthopedic Dr. and had MRI of my left foot that has been giving me problems for 2 years. MRI showed deep muscles inflamed. Have now been referred to PT. Physical therapist said the discomfort I am experiencing in my left foot could have been caused from the back surgery and could be a nerve. Has anybody ever gotten pain in the opposite foot of where the surgery was all on the right side of body? I would love to receive some feedback on this problem that I'm dealing with. I do have numbness in my right foot due to surgery but no pain associated with it. I can live with that...it's the left foot, feels like a tight band across my heel. Well enough rambling on. Hope to hear back.

Cynthia
advertisement

Comments

• I have pain in my left leg and tingling and cramping. The herniated disc is on the opposite side though.
    Another thing though I had an xray and have arthritis in the foot and also DDD spine. Or it could be inflammation from the surgery touching that nerve. Keep us posted what the Doctor says. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • that was because of a misplaced hardwear that caused the new symptoms, unusual situation.

However, I have read on these boards that due to the distraction (??right word) of the nerves and muscles in the back, it can temporarily cause discomfort in the spianl nerves during the operation and afterwards.

How long ago was your sugery? March? Are you still under follow up? if not can you go back?
    If this problem has defo been since the March surgery then imho you should go back.
    Good luck.
  • Hi Cynthia, is the pain only when you walk on the foot? Or all the time? If it is mainly with walking it sounds like plantar fascitis. Do you have pain anywhere else in the left leg/foot? Perhaps some new orthotics. Funny thing for me, I had plantar fascitis in my right foot at the same time I was having back problems. I got a LESI for my back, and my foot got all better :) Unfortunatley my back/hip/sciatica didn't get better and now I am post fusion. But the foot is still fine. I have heard of people having a steroid injection directly in the heel, and of course there are exercises that help. I always wore NewBalance tennis shoes with Birkenstock insoles and that helped. Good-luck, hopefully it is just the foot and will improve. Take-care, Sue