Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 weeks post 2 level PLIF and nervous about recent x-ray results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

On July 17, 2008 I underwent a PLIF L4-S1 with instrumentation, plus laminectomy and discectomy.

My NS had me go in for an X-Ray yesterday to see if fusion is taking place and today I went in and got the report from the X-Ray. My appointment isn't until Tuesday, but I couldn't wait to see what it said, now i'm kind of nervous and in need of advice.

The report states that there is no change since the images they took directly after surgery 12 weeks ago! Is this normal? I guess I was hoping that I would see some fusion starting to taqke place. It also said that there are "Rudimentary Ribs in the T-12 Vertabrae" what in the world are "Rudimentary Ribs"? This has never been in any of my prior X-Rays, MRI, or CT Scans!

I know that i have'nt seen the doctor yet, but I am just really nervous. This injury came without warning during training for an upcoming powerlifting meet, and at a time when I had no time to financially prepare for this substantial time off work. This is just a tough thing to go through all the way around.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

TIM
advertisement

Comments

• SORRY TO HEAR , JUST DONT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS,THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE SOMETHING, IF YOU CANT WAIT GO TO ER, they can tell you right away. so you dont get stressed out! i hope everything turns out well!god luck cc rider
  • Thanks for the advice! I guess that I am just overly anxious to to get back to normal. I typically stay pretty busy with work and the gym that I'm not used to all this sitting around!
  • Hi there, I just had 8 week post op xrays and I have no interbody fusion showing. My surgeon says it is fine, he doesnt't expect to see it until 4-7 months. He lifted all my restrictions and I am starting PT and can return to work when I feel ready. Now I do have beginnings of posterior-lateral fusing, but my surgeon did both areas. Some only do the interbody fusion. I wouldn't worry, just wait for your surgeon's interpretation. The definition of rudimentary ribs: Nubbins of ribs seen below the level where the last rib normally occurs. Sounds like something someone is born with, not some new pathology. Good-luck, Cali-Sue
  • There is a wide range in when people fuse. I expected to show the beginning of bone growth at 6 weeks, and my OS just laughed at me. He said, maybe at 3 months. Indeed, at my 3-month checkup the x-ray showed the beginning of fusion. Today I had my 5-month followup, and my OS said that now I am almost fused, but will continue on for about a year. So don't be impatient, it takes time, for some less for others more.

Good luck with your fusing,

Kin
  • But my RAD report also states I now have mild spondylosis at multi-levels above fusion surgery site. I see my NS on Wed and I can't wait to have some answers. I feel pretty good but then I get up, do too much and feel rotten the rest of the day. Then there are the days where I have PT and all I want to do is lay down after. I am anxious to get back to making some money but I can't afford to do any damage to my back. I am thinking I need another 4 weeks to keep up the PT before I can go back to work.

I hit the 12 week mark yesterday. My surgery was 7/10.

Keep hanging on.
  • I went to my 7 week post op appt last week and they saw a tiny sliver of growth, in 2 spots. BUT....I am walking, walking ,walking......up to 2 hours a day. THat is the only thing we have the power to do. That being said...if you are walking as much as you can then try not to worry about it-I know that is hard!! We can only do what we CAN do-and we have to leave the rest up to the good Lord :). Hang in there!
  • and i understand that growth can continue for upto 24 months. So it is a long old do.

Patience, walking and lots of positive thoughts will get you there!
advertisement