Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do you do to quell the pain?

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
Good evening fellow spiney loves,

I am curious what unconventional methods any and all of you use to slow the pain down. I have tried many things. One of the things that I love to do to rid myself of stress and therefore some measure of pain is take a hot bath. I will get the water as hot as is still comfortable and soak for a couple of minutes. I can't do this too long as it hurts me to sit, but that aside I do it. My favorite part is before I get out of the tub. I will let the water drain out and I will sit there until the last drop has gone down the drain. While the pipes are sucking and gurgling and the water is swirling and receding, I imagine that my pain and stresses and cares are being sucked down the drain as well.

Another thing that I do is to find anyone willing and embrace them. One I have them in my heart to heart hug, I ask them to take three deep breaths in and out with me. There is something SO very soothing about breathing *with* another person.

How about you?

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• that works as well as hot baths is my back buddy. It covers my entire low back and is fastened with velcro in the front. I heat it in the microwave for 1 1/2 mins and it gives off moist heat for about two hours. You can actually go to sleep with it on as it can not burn you. It has some type of soft beads inside that make the heat moist. I could not live without it.
  • The shoulder restraint on the seat belt seems to just dig in to the bones when touching me so I found this pad that goes over the belt to add comfort... I think I'll be trying me one of them...
  • I moved this to another category cause noone answered. :(

So I really am interested in know what you might do that is not "ordinary" in order to help ease your pain.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Stephanie, I am sorry, I just came across your topic.
    I believe anyone living with chronic pain looks for different ways to help manage and control the pain. Its one thing about all the medications we take. I think there isn't a person out here that would gladly throw away all their pain medications if they found a way to get relief from pain.

Things that I do:
    - Sit in the outdoor hot tub (one of our best investments)
    - Lie down in a dark room, some aroma therapy, a few candles and some relaxing music
    - Meditate for a while, just let loose
    - Watch a movie that I love
    - And the best, spend quality time with the people I love
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Terri, for providing me that link to more info.

Thank you, Dilauro for letting me know some of the things you do. Those all sound relaxing! One of the things that I like to do is sing. When I get into that place of soulful singing, the pain melts away. (it does come right back though)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Hey Steph,,, This is an excellent question. I really liked your idea of letting the pain drain down the tub. I will use that one in the future. I've been cursed with low back pain for decades. I've gone down so many different roads seeking relief I probably don't even remember half of the things I've done over the years. I was fortunate to have been involved in a support group for folks dealing with chronic pain and depression. I was amazed at the vast number of ways people try to get relief. For me a sort of self hypnosis in the form of guided imagery has been very sucessful. I have days when my pain levels are so high it becomes distracting. I'm unable to concentrate or think about anything other than the throbbing in my back. Sometimes it goes on like that for days. On those days I darken my living room, put on some Mozart at a low volume, lay back in my recliner and go somewhere. It can be anywhere you've been before or somewhere you imagine is beautiful and peaceful. For me, one of my favorites is the bow of my old boat slowly cruising out into the Gulf of Mexico with the wind in my face. When I remove myself from the present moment, from my living room, from my body, the pain disolves. I can stay that way for hours and even when I rouse myself I'm usually so relaxed my pain level has gone down to the point where my meds can make a difference and I'm able to do things.

For most ordinary days I find staying busy is my best weapon against pain. It can be anything I choose to do, brushing my dogs, planning menus for the next week, writing letters, reading a good book or even paying bills. Anything that keeps my mind occupied. My mind can only hang onto one thought at a time. Sure, thoughts race through lickety split but I can only be aware of one at a time. If I keep my mind busy doing something it can't settle on my pain to consentrate on and I get relief. Of course pain is still there, but if I don't think about it, it isn't dominating my awareness. Boredom is pain's greatest ally.

Recently I was going to a new physical therapy place. They had a full sized heated pool. What a treat. I would take this float called a noodle and put it between my legs like straddling the bottom of a big "U". It kept me afloat and all the pressure off my vertabra and muscles. It is wonderful to have that much time to relax in the warm water floating around the deep end of the pool. I realize not many of us have access to a heated pool but it is terrific if you can find one to go to.

I hope some of this helps. My life has been dominated by unrelenting pain. I bleed for everyone who is forced to live their life as I have, not having choices and having pain dictate every area of my life. Good luck, let me know if any of this helps.

Dave in Georgia
  • Dave,

The image you gave of the boat sounds so very soothing. No wonder you go there often. Thank you so much for sharing your techniques with us.

Curious, what Mozart is the best at pain relief? I love all of his works but some are very vibrant.

(I used to play cello and viola)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Nothing has made me feel more at ease and comfortable as being on the water and on my boat.
    I could be having the worst day both medically and emotionally, but once I am in my boat and on the water, everything that is bad disappears.
    I only wish that would last forever.
    I love the water, and live basically on Candlewood Lake (largest man made lake in the North East), and I find it great.
    But growing up on Long Island.... There is nothing like the salt water.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For me, the single most successful thing I do every day is employ distraction. I must stay reclined almost all day and that can drive me crazy. I have a laptop caddy/table that scoots right up to my chair and I can stay on the Internet as much as I want. I don't have to suffer sitting in a traditional computer chair or at a regular table or anything.

Even watching TV really doesn't help. The actual constant reading and typing goes a long way in taking my mind off the burning pain.

At night, when I try to go to sleep, that is sometimes the most mentally tortuous. Nothing but silence and the pain. I have to take Ambien or I simply don't sleep. My doc will only prescribe 20 pills a month because of rebound insomnia, so 10 days a month, I'm up almost all night. There's just no sleeping.

We have a jacuzzi tub in our bathroom and I love taking baths. I LOVE your idea of staying in the water and imagining my pain going down the drain with the water. Thanks so much for that!

I'm also big on mediation, but it is harder and harder and the pain just wears on.

• I am definately a water baby, a lady of the lake. I have always loved it (I think it loves me too!).
    Thank you all for sharing!!!!

:)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Just kidding. I actually use computer games to focus my mind off the pain. Nothing I have found works better.

Nightfall
  • Glad that they help! :)

I have a couple I like. Playing the Neverwinter Night campaign again now.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement