Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is Maverick disc being installed near Connecticut?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. Hope you can help. Trying to gather info on the Maverick artificial disc. Impressed with what I've read so far. Just trying to figure out what my options are here in Connecticut.

Does anyone know if the Maverick is being installed in or near Connecticut? By who?

Thanks much for any info you've got! :)))
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya
    Welcome to Spine Health >:D< . We can only advise you on our personal experiences :) , as we are not qualified as doctors/surgeons :? . The Maverick Atificial Disc, this is what i know :) . The device consists of two metal plates that fit into the patients disc space with a ball socket between them :? , which is intended to maintain the natural mobility of the disc as an alternative to the traditional spinal fusion :) . Here is a link that may help you 8> : www.spinemd.com/artificialdisc.htm . Good Luck! Keep Us Posted! :H

Angie x
  • Hi Angie, Thanks for the reply. I'll check this site out.

Dave
  • I had the Prestige disc ADR 3 weeks ago which I believe is the newer, modified version of the maverick ADR. All I can say is that I am very happy with how the procedure went, the recovery time and how the disc feels and works. Good luck.

Rob
  • CT- I have researched the Maverick and it sounds very promising and durable. Try adrsupport.com there are a lot of individuals who have gotten the Maverick disc and can help answer your questions.

Clarissa

• hi there, i have an A-Mav (the newer maverick) installed at L4/5 in may this year along with an alif at L5/S1, things are progressing well so far (no drugs, back working fulltime). small problem though is i probably couldnt be further away from you if i tried, I live in Auckland, New Zealand.

goodluck with finding someone in the US that installs the A-Mav

Note: the prestige is a cervial adr, the maverick is a lumbar adr, they are not interchangeable.
  • Hiya, :)
    The only thing that puts me off and concerns me is that they have to drill through the nerve to fix the plates in :O

Angie :H
  • angie, what do you mean drilling through the nerve? did you mean that they have to cut into the vertebral body for the keel? there were some earlier devices that had complications of the vertebral body splitting (im not sure if this was actual patients or just simulated). From what i understand the change between the maverick and the A-Mav is a smaller keel to offset this risk (to some degree). also, when they use pedicle screws in instrumented posterior fusions the screws go through a much smaller section of vertebrae right into the vertebral bodies.

also, whether they do an adr or an interbody fusion, they will always scrape the vertebral endplates exposing raw bone to stimuate a fractue site and help assist with fusion.
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with the new disc. Sounds promising. I hope you continue to do well.
  • ObstetrixOObstetrix Posts: 2
    edited 04/13/2014 - 2:46 AM
    This is my second and last year with a Maverick. Replaced l4-5 on 2012 I spent 2 years waiting for pain improvement that never came, in fact just got worse. 6 weeks ago wento to the OR again and that segment was fused keeping Maverick in situ. i feel better now. I had a hypermobility syndrome that was exacerbated by the prosthesis. Double check thatt you ar a good candidate for ghis one. If I had known this I would have gone for the fusion back then, no anterior risky approach... The fusion has decades of use. And in fact, those functional prosthesis end up fused with time. Choose well!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,448
    edited 04/14/2014 - 2:53 PM
    your outcome seems to be becoming more and more prevalent when it comes to the use of adr in the lumbar spine..Too much flexion and rotation in the use of the lumbar discs and revision surgery is life threatening because of the major blood vessels in the abdomen.....and the facet joints seem to become huge problems post implant , most likely due in large part to the too extensive flexion and rotation in an area of the spine that was not meant to perform that way.
  • This thread is from 2008. I didn't think Mavs were even around anymore. Those are obsolete old school.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
advertisement