Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery buttocks pain MRI pic

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I had a lumbar laminectomy L5-S1 in December. Two months into my recovery I started to get pain in my right buttocks. It has gotten worse and worse, migrating down my leg. I might add that I went thru the surgery without any narcotic pain medicine and havent taken any since. So, I have a pretty good grip on my pain scale which is now at times at 9 or a 10. Being a 35 yr old otherwise healhy male, the pain is still almost more than I can take, I mean I could almost cry. Anyways... I went an had another MRI and it showed a "large amount of scar tissue surrounding the L5 nerve root." He basically told me that surgery was not an option and that I would have to try to manage my pain thru injections and narcotics. Have any of you had this problem or heard of scar tissue causing this much pain ? Does anyone know how to look at my MRI pic and point out the scar tissue ? I have been waiting to hear from the pain clinic for 3 weeks and still havent heard from them. I don't know how to stop this pain and it is so awful. I dont go anywhere or d anything. I am taking neurontin, stretching, walking, heat pad but nothing seems to consistantly help. It stays at 5 or so and spikes up to 9 at least 3 times a day. I am in Nashville... Thanks, sorry for the long post.

advertisement

Comments

• I had a failed microD last december and I do not know how you are surviving such constant pain levels. I have read lots of posts about scar tissue causing pain and the fact that it is not operable because it would cause more scar tissue. I am on opiates and muscle relaxers to control my pain and I know how scary it is at first to think of living the rest of your life on narcotics. But believe it or not, when you take the drugs for pain you can actually function quite well. I do not ever experience any type of high off of the meds and pretty much feel normal with less pain and better quality of life. If your PM has not called you back in 3 weeks, I would think that is not a good sign and try to find another if possible. If not possible, start calling them every day and express the type of pain that you are experiencing to them. If they are not able to get you in quickly do you have a GP that may be able to give you something short term? With all of the meds that are available to us there is no reason to live with this kind of pain. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I agree. Either find another pain management doc or go sit on this one's doorstep till they help you. Since you do need the pain med, painintheback is right, you will most likely not feel high or fuzzy from the meds. I am on a fentalyl patch plus percocet and all it does is help control the pain. No euphoria or trippy feeling, just relief from that horrible pain. I don't know how you stand it.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm opposed to the meds, I just chose not to take them at first and now it's just taking so long to get in to see the PM doc. I have a number for another doc that I am going to call on Monday. And you are right, the pain is awful and it is controlling my life 98%. I have heard people say that they cannot live in such pain and I know exactly what they mean now. Thanks for the responses, it's great to hear from someone who understands.
  • The best thing to do is get another doctor to take a look at your MRI and give you his/her professional opinion. Here at Spine Health we are patients just like yourself and are not qualified to read your films for you. Sorry.

Sounds like you have a plan of attack for Monday. Do what you feel is best for you.

Welcome to Spine Health,

"C"
advertisement