Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Caudal steroid injection...Now What?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I read many of your posts and can relate to a lot of them.

I'm 28 years old and in good physical condition, ran marathons and did mini triathlons until March 2007. I went to put on my clothes, my back blew out (ruptured disk L4/L5) and life has never been the same.

I would like advice/opinions on what to do next. It seems like I've done almost everything. Are there any others out there that are similar predicaments???????????

1. I did physical therapy for 4 months (summer of 2007)- Some improvements but never complete pain relief.

2. I had 3 Epidural Injections (October-November 2007- Felt good for a day or two.

3. Had Microdiscetomy February 13, 2008. Nearly all of my spasms disappeared, Leg pain is for most part non- existent, but never quite experiencing back pain. Progress definitely plateau around week 11.

4. I had minimal PT following surgery (6 sessions March 2008)

5. PT during month of June 2008

6. Felt in gut something wasn't right. Had another MRI which revealed there is a small rupture. Gone for 2 more opinions, no one is willing to operate at this point because leg pain is gone.

7. Just did first caudal steroid injection. Dr. said if it lasts more than a couple hours then my nerves are finally having a chance to settle down. 4 days out its the best I've felt since this all began. It was instant!

Will this last permanently? What should I do next? Has anyone tried acupuncture and had success?

At this point I've given up on running again, but have found other alternatives. I've also given up on living without pain. Can any of you relate?
advertisement

Comments

• I had a caudal injection on Aug 27th It is for the most part still holding. I need to schedule another one. I wish you luck with yours
  • From what I've been told they work differently on each person. I had a series of three last January and February and the relief only lasted for a few weeks. They want me to do them again but I'm not sure it is worth it.And until they quit playing musical doctors at my pain clinic I'm not letting Any of them near me with that needle! Good luck with yours!
  • The double post! I'm using my BlackBerry "not so" Smartphone instead of my computer and it posted before I was done. Now I'm trying to figure out how to delete this one! Lol
  • Those of you that have been through this, how do you cope with the daily pain? Sitting for extended periods of time and the occasional spasm that brings me to my knees? Have any of you come to the same terms I have that if this doesn't work there is not much else?

The Dr. Said I was in the unfortunate 10% that surgery didn't work for, but at this point there was not much more he could do.

What's with those pain management centers? What can they do for people with lower back pain?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.