Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tricyclic/ amitriptyline for pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with taking low doses of tricyclic medications such as amitriptyline(elavil) or other anti-depressant medicines for chronic pain relief.
I have been dealing with pain for almost a year now. I have had two steroid epidurals, physical therapy and chiropractic manipulations and nothing has worked. My lower back is in constant pain and it just seems to be getting worse. And now for the past two months I've been experiencing head, neck and shoulder pain, which I assume is due to my holding myself differently bc of my back. I feel so uncomfortable everywhere and the pain is spreading. :S

I just don't know what to do and I've been researching anti-depressants. I am going to see the pain management doctor the end of the week and want to suggest him putting me on something like this.

-Bonnie
advertisement

Comments

• I forgot to mention I have spondylolisthesis of L5-S1
  • I took that amitriptyline for pain and for me personally, it did not help. It made me tired and it took away my libido. I was on it for about 4 months. :??
  • I'm taking the 10 mg tablets.
    I don't see pain being relieved.
    Taking prednisone - removes the sleeping drive...

Than I take pain killers 2-4 a day.

I don't like the idea of taking so many meds but I can't without...
    Y.S IL
  • I am taking Pamelor (amitrypline) for chronic pain. I have been out if for about 3 weeks. I think it takes about 6 - 8 weeks before you feel the full results. My PM doctor said it may help with my back and leg pain but also with the severe migraines that plauge me. I have noticed that my migraines have been fewer the last two weeks and not as intense, could be coinsedence but who knows. I have noticed as well it has help with the mild depression that comes with chronic pain.
  • I am taking 3 pills at night. It takes a while to work but it definitely helps with the nerve pain. I had a L3-S-1 fusion in March and am doing very well. I haven't had a migraine since I started on it. I also sleep really well for the most part. :)))
  • I am taking 3 pills at night. It takes a while to work but it definitely helps with the nerve pain. I had a L3-S-1 fusion in March and am doing very well. I haven't had a migraine since I started on it. I also sleep really well for the most part. :)))
  • I went to the pain management doctor yesterday and inquired about tricyclics and he said it helps more with face pain and not for what I have. He gave me 30mg sample of cymbalta for a week and then to take 60mg for a week. If I like it he gave me a prescription for more. I am alittle nervous about it, I started it last night, but I know these are hard meds to come off of.

I used to take effexor for anxiety and depression for about 5 years. I quit them over a year ago. My back pain started a few months after quitting (I never had an accident of injury that would cause the pain im currently in, which is what makes this whole situation so frustrating since I didn't do anything to cause the pain) Maybe I had the slip in my vertebrae for a long time but know I put all my stress and anxiety in my back. I was so proud of myself coming off of effexor, which was really tough, and I am sad to be going back on stuff like it. But if it helps with the pain I'm willing to do it.

The doc also gave me ultram since tramadol has been the only pain med that doesn't make me sick, but the it hasn't been effective for my pain. so hopefully the ultram is stronger.

Sorry for rambling so much! thanx to anybody reading.

I hope we all get relief!!!!

Bonnie
  • I had the surgery because I had a numb hand which was accompanied with a terrible itch on both arms.
    Than, a few months later, I gave up pain meds & relaxing meds.

5 months after the surgery I started with D8 pains, Sciatica and LBP. I can not so why they have started.

I am back to pain meds. But I work full-time and live OK.

Today I had a LB epidural and I hope to forget my pains.
    Y.S IL
  • I took it for quite a while. I took it at night to help me sleep through the night, and it sure worked for that. I now have neck problems caused by my lower back and the way I have to sit. I was thinking about going on it again to help me sleep, but for pain, I didn't notice a change. Good luck!!! I'm always here to lend an ear/pair of eyes :D !

-Lisa
  • I took cymbalta for about 1 year for my back pain about 4 years ago. I decided to try and get off of it before i went off to college so that i didnt have to worry about taking meds... IT WAS HORRIBLE!!! for about a week and a half i was stuck in bed. I was constantly vomiting and i couldnt stand up because i was soo dizzy. it felt like the whole room was spinning and my head was going to fly off. I had to crawl to the bathroom. I liked the cymbalta but i wont ever get on it again because im scared of the withdrawl. i hope that helps. And also tramadol and ultram are the same thing.. so i hope that he gave you a stronger dose or a different type like extended release maybe cause the actual medication is the same one is just the generic name and the other is the trade name.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.