Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had a Rhazotomay yesterday, was given Dilaudid 4mg

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
It does not work well for me. I was on Loratab 7.5-500 tabs before the procedure. I have had five epidural/facet injections and the Loratab worked fine. The Dilaudid has not worked well for this procedure. The dose is 4mg. Does anyone think it is the does or just the drug.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

BackTyme
advertisement

Comments

• It might be because after a rhizotomy it takes a month before you will feel better,Is the Dilaudid stronger than the loratab?
  • Dilaudid is morphine only 3 times stronger! Maybe your family Dr. or Surgeon would change you back if lortab worked for you. Hope you're on the road to recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hiya :?
    Can someone tell me if i have this correct 8> , Is Rhizotomy where they burn the root of the nerve endings? :O

Angie x >:D<
  • :) backpainishell, yes it is! Jenny :)
  • But my question is - they dont knock you out for the ablation?!?!?! I thought they did. And I just asked to have it done...but no way if they wont knock me out. I nearly pass out just from the injections.

Last injection they did a double shot of Versid (sp) and I am half the size and it didnt even touch me...my blood pressure didnt even go down!

Let us know how you start feeling. I have heard so many good and bad about the ablation and I dont know if I should go for it or not.

Take care.

Alina
  • Mine never lasted more than a few weeks, the Dr said my nerves grew back way too fast. So, for me it didnt work and was a waste of time and money I didnt have. :W :W Some people get very good results from it, I however did not unfortunately. I wasnt knocked out for the procedure either. They did use a little bit of sedation, but you have to be alert and responsive while they do it. It hurt like no one's business, especially afterwards, and they didnt send me home with any pain medication, but I really wish they would have then. I ended up in the ER because the pain in my back got so bad and it felt like my legs were asleep and lit on fire!
  • Hi everyone!

Good news I had a great night sleep and am in no pain!! Back or other wise! :jawdrop:

I saw one post regarding the procedure. I have to say I was very nervous.I read tons and the docs warned me about pain, but it was not painful. In a strange dream like way I kinda know I had pain. :? When I came out of it they gave me IV pain meds and I was back to sleep. I did not have pain yesterday and I was having issues with the pain meds.

I took one pain pill late this afternoon after a nice late morning afternoon out with the family! I did not even think I would get out this whole weekend! I am so please I feel good. I know the nerve takes awhile to die. I have been doing PT four days a week to get ready for this and to get strong. I hope it paid off. I try to do all I can when the epidurals are working.

I have a great PM and I hopeful that this Rhazatomy and continued PT will keep me away from a fusion!!

Thank you all for your comments and sharing in my good day!! :O)
  • so glad your feeling relief..

no they do not know you out totally for any of the procedures dealing with nerves they need to know if they hit anything wrong. which they should not if a fluroscope is being used and the dr ia A+ at doing them.
    IV sedation yes. i had fentynl and versad. of course i cried like a baby cause i was nervous. so they gave me more.
    and i was out like a light.
    i was sent home with pain meds as i felt very bruised from my ESI.

yeah diliadud is stronger then lortab by a jump and a leap. its a synthetic form of morphine. drs find it works better then morphine on alot of patients. my ER is getting away from morhpine as the effects are not as good.
    but i was also told by my dr that the pills are not as strong as the IV solution. i personally have not been on them but people here have and they seemed to of worked good.

but one med that works for one person does not work for the other.

i wish you continued sucess on this procedure.. i hope you do not have to have it again!!!!!!!
    >:D< =D> =D> =D>
  • Just to comment again Dilaudid is NOT a synthetic form of morphine. Morphine is typically Morphine Sulfate, and Dilaudid is Hydromorphone. The word synthetic refers to the method used to acquire or create the drug. If it was just synthetic morphine, well, it would be morhpine. Tis' not. It IS a synthetic, whereas morphine is NOT synthetic, but that doesn't matter much.

It is stronger, and about twice or more as strong as those lortabs at the 4mg's. It takes a bit longer to kick in than your lortab, but lasts an hour or two longer. It has less of a noticeable 'buzz' but works really well for acute/breakthrough pain, usually. And as a bonus, being a synthetic, and not requiring a plant (opium poppy) to grow to make it, it's cheap! Carry on. 'Night

JWM
  • I am so glad that the rhizotomy has worked so well for you! It works well for me too. Mine always last about 1 year. I had them done once a year for 3 years with great relief and then my doc decided to do endo microD which I can tell you was a big mistake. As long as they keep working, avoid surgery at all cost.

asmith, you must be awake during the procedure in order to maximize the chances of success. You have to be able to tell the doc when he hits the nerve causing the pain. As soon as the correct nerve is found, it is numbed and burned. So it is actually only a few seconds of pain. If you get the relief like I do, it is well worth it!
advertisement