Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

week 39 welcome to the newbies

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
and i hope the scales are going in the right direction for everyone,its good news foe me ive lost 2 pounds after staying the same for 2 weeks i think that having cereal in the morning has helped me weetibix really fills you up, and did do a lot of walking whilst i weas in london,looking forward to seeing how everyone else has done
advertisement

Comments

• benji, that is a job well done!! 5 more pounds to go!! you are really a great example of what can be done if we put our minds to it!! Lyrica and all you have managed to lose the weight!! i have only to report that i stayed the same. i don't know how i did that after cake and chicken but i am not going to ask alot of questions about it! lol! anyway, everyone else weigh in and let's start the new week!! good luck! Jenny
  • Morning All,

First of, Gratz Benji for losing 2 lbs!

Jenny, staying the same is better than going up, especially considering you had cake....mmmmm

Ok, I just weighed in. I am going to use these threads to keep track of my progress rather than write it down on my pad on the refrigerator. This way I'll have a central location to refer back to where I can gain encouragement to stay the course. All the refridgerator does is encourage me to eat more /:)

And so I can find it week to week I am going to post, for my own reference, what my stats were the week before and where they were located.

It has been 10 days in all since my last weigh in. On 9/25, post #37 in the thread 'A New Week' I was at 252lbs.

This morning I was 241 lbs, so pencil me in at losing 11 lbs <:P

That was way more than I expected. surely I can't keep up that pace. I did think I felt a difference from when I started though.
  • mcback that is just great i bet you really pleased with yourself,jenny you re doing great too mataining can be hard work so you re not doing too bad are you,im starting pilates tomorrow night so im hoping it tones me up abit
  • :) McBack, you are off to a good start. <:P you will lose alot to begin with but that is good incentive. this is a good place to record your weight each week. i will put in my stats: 150 lbs. with a goal of 130. i have had a goal of 125 but that just does not seem realistic anymore. i would be happy with a loss for a while just to see if i can get out of this weight permanently. you know it goes up and down a few pounds and then stays the same and i don't even know what my exact weight is. my scale is not that good!! it is always around 148 to 150lbs. here is to a new week and a weight loss for everyone. i have a goal of atleast a pound but would sure like to lose more. Jenny :)
  • Great news for all of you (even staying the same is a feat, as far as I'm concerned!! ;)) )

I'm at the same weight, which is a feat considering my emotional eating of the past 2 days (I won't mention specifics), but I am back on track! Its a new week.
  • :) aimless, i am with you! put the past week behind and get going on a new one! :? do feel good about staying the same, especially if you overdid it a bit. i do hope you are feeling better! Jenny :)
  • Congrats to you all! What great encouragement for a newbie - staying the same or losing! =D>
    Week 39 is my week one - so wish me luck. I am on Lyrica as well. I am fused eleven levels so am very limited on what I can do, but I will be walking as much as possible. My goal is to lose the 60 pounds I have regained recently. I don't want to cross over to diabetes again so I have a good motivator! Best wishes to all for a great week!
  • I gained 3.5 lbs! I knew that I would have a gain from all of the late night fast food that I ate. This week will be different for me. Congrats to everyone else that did so well!
    BTW- I posted this to stockbroker last night on the last thread and do not know if she saw it or not so here it is again:

Subject: welcome Stockbroker!

I find that using a small dinner dish and never going back for seconds helps alot with portion control and still feeling satisfied. I have learned little things like a piece of meat that fits the palm of your hand is about 3 ounces and is a good portion at meal time. Stick with us and we will try and give you tips along the way. And who knows? Maybe you can teach us a thing or two! I am pretty sure that I will have a gain this week due to my recent travel experience but, I am going full force this week, the weight has got to go. I need to lose about 80 lbs but will be thrilled with 40. Good luck to all for tomorrow.
  • :) painintheback, you are doing well to just let last week go and focus on this week. don't let that small gain hold you back! i think we are all determined to have a loss this week and that includes you! good luck this week, Jenny :)
  • I'm feeling better mentally... not quite there physically... happy to be halfway there though! --Melissa
  • netnomad, good luck on your first week! =D> benji and i are both on Lyrica as well. it has been a battle for both of us but benji is doing really well and i am holding my own. you are going to do well to. don't push yourself to much though! hurting yourself is not the plan!! [( i think of my weight loss in small goals. reward yourself when you meet them. <:P looking at 40 pounds is alot to take on all at once. enjoy your week and check in whenever you need to! Jenny :)
  • Hey. Did you notice the change in my subject? (I had been writing "getting fat"). I'm trying the power of positive thinking. I have not yet weighed myself. I don'y trust my scale. As I said before, whenever I've tried to lose weight, my scale never, ever changes. I've also then gone to the doctor and am told I weigh 10# more than I do at home. So I will be weighed at my new PM docs office on wed or Th. Then, I will ask my PCP if I can use the scale at his office or maybe join a gym. I will join the weight watchers online. I think I can do this. I quit smoking (20 years ago); I survived fusion surgery, I should be able to not put large amounts of ice cream in my mouth (Ah for some Hagendaas Dulce de Leche melted just a tad in the microwave to maximize the creaminess--one of the few effective ways of dealing with a flare. (Just kidding.) For exercise I will walk and ride my bike. I live in the country along Lake Michigan so it is really beautiful and relaxing to be outside. That's the plan. In the past, when a month goes by and I haven't lost any weight, I get discouraged and quit. I'm off the Lyrica but in the brief time I took it, I outgrew my clothes. I will be so happy not to be grossed out by my own body. Do I have to tell everyone the number? Gosh--DO YOU HEAR THE SHAME??????

• :) stockbroker, this forum is here to help you lose weight. think about it and be honest, what will help you more, to post your starting weight or to keep it to yourself and just post # of pounds lost. it is really up to you!! we are not here to make you feel bad!! we want to give you support and motivation. all of us have posted our weights. but we have no rule about that! i have been trying to take off 30 pounds for almost a year now. i am not giving up!! i will be able to get over this battle and take off something!! if benji can do it so can i! and so can you!! so giving up after a month is not acceptable!! come on now! you can hang longer than that! and once you find the right way to take off your weight, it will come off! although the ice cream is a good start. =)) anyway, this is your first week and go for something you can obtain like a pound. make a goal you can reach. i am totally disliking the look of my body! i can't stand to look at it naked let alone with clothes on! ~X( i am working on that though! we can work on that together! Jenny :)
  • Busy day yesterday and couldn't check in. I weighed the same yesterday. So I'm hanging in there with Jenny and Melissa. At least it's not a gain but the way I ate yesterday I really need to get back on track for the rest of the week.

Congrats McBack! What a great start!

And Elaine, that's a real nice loss for you too.

Painintheback, I can so relate as I have been up and down so much in the past few months that I haven't gotten anywhere! I need to lose 50+ lbs but for now will focus on losing even the smallest amounts, anything! As long as I'm losing something and not gaining it back it will work out in time. Just need to stick with it.

Stockbroker, you don't have to post your weight or anything you don't want to as far as I know. I don't think there are any rules.

Teri

Current weight 207
    Goal 164
    Plan - Finding a comfortable way to eat and exercise for the rest of my life without torturing myself!
  • even you painintheback,you re back in the saddle and will have a loss next week just you wait and see
    stockbroker postive thinking can make all the difference so good 4 u
    maintaining is also great,as long as you can say that you are winning this war against fat(not sure if that is politically correct lol)I had abit off a blowout yesterday my hubby bought my chocolate and am afraid to say i eat the lot,though could nt eat much today only soup and soft foods,i had more dental treatment and my poor mouth is sore,so hopefully that will make up for the chocolate.Well i have to take an aptitude test tomorrow if i fail(again) i will prob lose my job so i really need to pass,i think the lyrica has stole my brain,well thats my story and im sticking to it lol,so i need all the postive vibes u can send my way
  • Good luck on your test tomorrow, or is that today for you? Anyway, you get my drift.
    Teri
  • :) i will get the day right sooner or later. i thought your test was today!! :S anyway, you are going to blast the heck out of your test! slow down your breathing and let the first thought be your guide. :? good luck benji! Jenny :)
  • I'm going to have some oatmeal soon.

Stockbroker, have you stocked your pantry with healthy foods so you have good choices available?

I have not been sticking with my plan very well this week. Need to do more walking but it's been in the upper 90's here. Not making me want to go outside at all.
  • I find when I am hurting that I want to turn to food to find my comfort. It's been almost impossible for me to break this habit. What do you do when you are having flares - other than, of course, taking meds.
  • :)netnomad, that is a good question. =D> i can sometime make even healthy, low-cal food fattening. =)) but really, how about finding comfort food that is not so fattening? a big pot of soup using broth and vegies? something like that. or low- cal jello with sugar free whipped creme? get creative and think of what gives you comfort but you can make into low cal. having pain, we cannot use the old standbys like exercise or just getting out of the house. we are stuck together food and us!! but alot of the foods we love can be made low cal. the secret is to not eat it all anyway! any other good ideas out there? Jenny :)
  • I'm hungry. I didn't stock my pantry. I didn't even weigh myself because I don't have a reliable scale (but I did order one). Stocking the pantry is a great idea! In my craving for something sweet, I've blown 5 pts on a candy bar when I could have had fat-free, sugar-free pudding with Cool Whip AND BANANAS. I did put away the sweets but did not replace with healthy. I enter my points on weight watchers online and STARRING AT ME ALL THESE THREE DAYS IS THE BIG ZERO IN THE EXERCISE COLUMN. I've been hurting this week: my legs, my feet with every step I take. Business is nuts. I want to go for a brisk walk. Who has time? AND THE PAIN!!! Poor me. If you can take some Lyrica and sleep through a flare. That's good.
  • I love the same flavor as you creme de leche! Just reading it made my mouth water! I have been sick ever since I got back from my trip and sorry to say that I have not been cooking but eating junk. The good news is that my sister is going to start walking with me as soon as I am over this virus. I know that will kick it in to gear for me.
    Stockbroker, we all struggle with the exercize versus pain problem. Some of the others use a ball that is well tolerated. Maybe Jenny can pipe in here and tell you about it. It is well tolerated for all pain levels.
  • I just love either the sugar free jello w/fat free cool whip (ZERO WW points!) or the sugar free/fat free instant pudding made with nonfat milk that was mentioned in a prior post. They are my favorite low cal deserts. There are also low cal/low WW point ice creams. Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are two points and a good sized serving. WW also makes drum sticks. Yummy! Look in your freezer section for these comfort foods.
  • :) stockbroker, hi! yes, i love the"exercise ball." <:P it can be used by any pain level. one of the main things we want to do is work on our core. the ball is great for this. all you have to do is sit on it and keep your balance. of course you might need to talk to your doctor about exercising. you can do it while you watch tv, lots of people use it at the computor. anway, i love mine. of course there are lots of other exercises you can do but you need to do what you can. there is info on SH about it. :? hope this convinces you to try it!! enjoy! Jenny :)
  • I've been crying my way thru the pain flareups the past few weeks. Maybe that's why I've been losing weight... :''( Not that I recommend it as a particularly healthy long term approach either....
  • ice cream is fab,would rather have ben and jerrys,but hey you can t have everything can you lol,im really gonna have 2 up my game i ve been letting things slide abit,it was so easy when my hubby was away 4 2 weeks i eat so healthly now he keeps bringing goodies in to the house,CHEESECAKE now thats just plain torture isn t it im sure you can guess the outcome oh yes i had to have abit,so il not be expecting a weight loss this week, you all doing so great you re putting me to shame keep it up
  • :) i am having a good week and even feel alittle lighter. don't want to get too excited!! =)) have started back walking and watching what i am eating. i am eating alittle less than the last few weeks. it is easy to slip away from the whole thing! everyone take a few less bites the next few days. use a smaller plate for servings. drink more water! my husband has sabotaged me before!! i guess they love us just the way we are. :X Jenny :)
  • jenny il have to take a leaf out off your book.u deserve a weight loss on sunday,im not so hopeful
  • :) guess i don't have to mention that tomorrow is Sunday. =D> i like going back to Sunday.it's like going back to an old friend, always there waiting for you! lol! so full speed ahead. i always fast today to try and squeeze every possible chance for a weight loss out of me!! maybe a peice of fruit or a yogurt. and then water!! see you all tomorrow! Jenny :)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.