Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hands, now feet, falling asleep a lot

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a c1-c3 fusion from fractured c1 and c2, & ddd, spinal stenosis in the rest of my c-spine. The worst area is from c5-c7. I might have 'something' in my thoraic spine going on as there is one spot just to the right of my spine that is always tender and if I put pressure on it, I can produce sharp pain in my right shoulder area. I have cervical radiculopathy as well with pain in my right hand, fingers, forearm, elbow, scapula. I have some other things as well, but I don't think they could be causing my hands and feet to fall asleep so often.

My hands have been falling asleep more frequently, especially when I am in bed or lying flat, and now it's happening in my feet as well. This morning my right foot looked swollen - almost like I had edema. I kept rubbing and moving it until it "woke up" and then the swollen look disappeared. I haven't noticed any type of swelling in my hands before. Swelling is really the wrong word - it's just how my foot "looked" while it was asleep.

Does anyone else have this problem frequently? Is it related to something in your c or t spine? How do you distinguish between numbness (have gotten this in my head occasionally, and "falling asleep?" If you're experiencing either, do you know the origin or cause? Which disc with nerve impingement might cause this?

I'm not taking Neurontin or Lyrica at the moment..

Thanks for sharing your experience/insights.

[ I feel like a small truck ran over me today! (Much better than the days when I feel like it was an 18 wheeler though..;-))
advertisement

Comments

• I have numbness in both arms sometimes together but predominantly one side at a time depending on how my disk is getting impinged. One of my feet has a numbness in between 2 and 3 toes. I hope I do not need lumbar work.

Gosh these new neck issues are so different from my life a few months ago when I could swim at the pool and enjoy my familly and work. Oh well gotta keep up a good fight for healing!
  • I don't know if you're taking lyrica or neurotoin? I noticed since taking meds I get numbness to feet and swelling and numb hand. I would def tell your Dr. about this new numbness and swelling. Keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN