Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to site need some encouragement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I just had a spinal fusion on my L4-L5. It will be two weeks post op tomorrow. I am in much pain I try to keep it from my family because I want to be strong, however I need the medications. I need people who understand what I am going through, the spine stuff, surgery pre and post op, etc.
I love this site very informational.
-------------------------
LuAnn
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to SpineHealth! I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time. As you will see, most of us here are going through similar things and have lots of advice/support/stories to share.

This is a great community of people, who are always here to listen.

I hope that you get all the support you need :D Feel free to PM me anytime.
  • Welcome! This is a good site for finding information about how others have managed surgery and recovery. (I read the posts here for over 2 months before I actually joined the forums. I didn't want to ask questions that might seem silly or reveal my abysmal lack of knowledge.)

At 2 weeks post-op I was just a whiny blob of pain and exhaustion - and there was no way to hide it. My husband had to help me with almost everything. You are obviously much more brave than I was - I didn't have the energy or fortitude to try to be strong.

There is a lot of good recovery info on this site that has helped both my husband and me to understand what to expect in terms of recovery, do's and don'ts, activity level, weird pains, pain management, etc. Sharing some of the info with your family might help them to understand how to best help you with your recovery.

Will be interested in knowing how you are coming along!

• Luann,

Welcome to spine friends and, the people here on this site are very nice. I wish you the best and, hopefully things will improve for you.

Mike

2005 L4S-L5S1 microdiscectomy
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer whar questions we can. i am sorry you are having so much pain after surgery. if your meds are not holding the pain for you, perhaps you need to call your doctor and tell him. as for your family, if they don't understand about your meds, just keep it to your self. that is what many of us do, keep our private information to ourselves and use our meds as directed!! :? there is no need to suffer!! :''( good luck and let us know of your progress! Jenny :)
  • and good luck with the recovery process. You are definitely not alone and will make lots of friends here that truly understand.
  • i think its normal 2 weeks post op to be in alot of pain, i know it was for me. i use to take pain meds very little before my surgery and not many after my surgery until i could not stand it anymore and started taking my meds on a regular basis. i also learned from my ns that being in pain all the time is not good for the healing process and thaat is what the meds are for and so i decided to use them as directed. i tell my wife about my pain because she wants to know and cares and loves me. i wish u a speedy recovery.
    God bless all
    kc
  • Glad to have you aboard. Look forward to seeing you around the boards. Welcome to SH.
  • luann- welcome to the forum. It is good that you found the people here as there are plenty who are in the same situation. take care.... :) .jade
  • Hi LuAnn, good to meet you here on SH. I too had fusion L4-5. Mine was 9 weeks ago already. It has been a long slow recovery. I just started PT and I am weaning out of my TLSO brace. Remember your job is to rest and heal. You need to take it very easy and follow your doctors instructions. Make sure your family knows this and that you need help. Do take your meds if you need them. I found that I gradually, naturally, weaned down as the weeks went on, as it does get easier. The first 2 weeks were really rough. Remember to measure your progress week to week, not day to day, as you will have good days then bad days, and will see progress over a longer period of time. Do come here and post, you can get a lot of support from this community, cause we understand where you're coming from. If you have new symptoms by all means call your doctor. Make sure you are walking and no bending, lifting, or twisting. Good-luck, >:D< Cali-Sue
advertisement