Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

follow up surgeries???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i'd like to hear from anyone who's had to have a follow up surgery.

i had a 2 level lami last Nov. along with a microdiscectomy.

my pain returned in July, after rolling over in bed and hearing a POP. :O
MRI revealed 3 bulging disks and stenosis once again.

anyone had to have a fusion due to weakening caused by a lami?

i see my Neurosurgeon on the 21st . just curious what others have experienced.

do they prefer to just keep doing microdiscectomies or just fuse it when it causes problems?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Luv! Yes, it's possible to have lammys necessitate fusions...and he did another lammy during my fusion, so I;ve had 3 lammys, total, plus the PLIF.

That was my experience anyway...my 2 priors weakened the mechanics to the point that only a fusion would be able to reinforce what was left...

But in my case, it seems to have worked, shored things up & bolted things down, so to speak. But yes, prior lammys can cause instability which can lead to the attendant problems that fusions (supposedly...) solve. Ouch!! :|

My NS didn't consider a micro-D...went for the "biggie" as my images showed spondy & facet damage & I had terrible siciatca & also no feeling in my right leg...

Talk turkey w/ your doc. And then listen to that "inner voice... You'll know when you can't take it anymore.

Stay in touch!

~Lakeside
  • and that led to 4 surgeries because my disk kept herniating. My surgeon said he would prefer to due a fusion if my disk herniated 3 times. He let me know this up front and I remember thinking why would he be telling me this? I am having one surgery or so that is what I thought at that time. Then scar tissue became an issue. It happens to many on here. Mine just happened in 11 months for all 4.
    julie
  • thanks for the responses. the doc told me that eventually he thought i would need to be fused due to the facet joint issues and DDD. but, he was trying to be conservative the first go round and give me a few more years of mobility.

problem is that im at less than a year and im in more pain now. ugh!!!

the only thing that the surgery relieved was my leg numbness. thats good, but im definitely not a happy camper right now.

im counting down the days til i see the surgeon. everyday is miserable.
  • ...don't "heal" themselves, as you probably suspect. Luv! You state that everyday is miserable...yes, that becomes the "bottom line"...when all the joy is sucked out of your life & the pain & misery is all-consuming...as I said, you'll KNOW when you've had enough...and you sound close to that point...

Please keep us posted on your consult w/ your surgeon! I also have a very conservative NS, so when he finally used the dreaded "fusion-word" I knew that it was the only procedure remaining for me....we tried it all b4 that...

Chin up! It totally relieved my leg pain (still have numbness tho) & sure straightened up & strengthened my spine, so now can WALK for miles! Yea!

Crawl back here anytime for support! I sure do! Wishing you the very best decision & outcome!

~Lakeside
advertisement