Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A day for the history books

brucie76bbrucie76 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Good News
Today is my very first day in 4 1/2 years that I haven't taken any pain meds!!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!! And i'm feeling just fine. I know that my SFS has something to do with it, but i'm ok with that lol. What makes this more outstanding to me is im just 6 weeks post op, and I managed to do something yesterday that I haven't been able to do in just as many years. I went (and yes I KNOW I will be yelled at for this, and already have been) roller skating! Yes yes yes, I know all the "risks". But I practically grew up on skates. It was something i've been sitting on the sidelines for the last year and a half watching my girls learn how to do, yearning to just get out there with them. I never had the joy of being able to teach them because I couldn't stand in skates longer than 10 minutes because my legs would go numb (my oldest even broke her collar bone the first time she went). I went slow, waddled around till I got the right balance, and there were very few people at the rink. I wouldn't have tried it if there were more people there. I asked my sisters opinion, which I ignored anyways lol. The couple that owns the rink have known me since I was 12 so she knew I could do it, just warned me to go slow since she knows it's been awhile. And I did. And it felt AMAZING!!! I tried explaining it to my sister, told her to just imagine something she loves to do, being told she won't ever be able to again, then one day she finally has the strength back to do it. After my first surgery I stopped doing everything out of fear. But i'm tired of sitting on the sidelines. I want to find out what I can and can't accomplish. And I did that yesterday. I had the normal aches from using muscles I hadn't used in years, but other than that, I didn't hurt at all. Even today i'm not even sore one bit. To me, it was worth the risk. I won't be skating every time I take my girls, only when the rink is rather empty. It just felt REALLY REALLY good to finally be able to do something that I love to do again. Not to mention the smiles on my girls' faces when they flew past me on their skates lol. For some reason, they said skating is more fun with me out there with them :))(

OK....let the yelling begin.... =))
advertisement

Comments

• AFTER 6 WEEKS POST OP MYSELF, I REINJURED MY BACK BY DOING SOMETHING SO MUCH SMALLER THAN ROLLERSKATING! I yelled, did you see that? I had to have another surgery less than a week later and that is when I became permanently disabled. Please, please, be more careful. I would hate to see you ruin a good thing because you got a wee bit impatient. Take a walk instead, or sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else fly by, and then fall. Then be grateful that wasn't you!
  • Even with the yelling it was worth it :)

The last time I fell roller skating it wasn't even my fault. I had a wheel come off. I can't remember the last time before that, that I fell from roller skating.

I was very careful yesterday. I have been sitting on the sidelines for about the last 5 years, watching my children experience things with my family members (im a single mom and my children's sperm donor is nowhere to be seen) because I couldn't do it myself. I know I took a risk yesterday, but to me it paid off.
  • If we live our lives post op, like we are porcelain dolls, then what good is life?

Common sense. Yes
    Good judgment. Yes
    Paranoid. Heck NO!

I'm glad that you were able to get out and reclaim something that you haven't had in a long time. I know for me, if I don't go out and live again, then I don't know what it's all worth.

"I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down!"

Chumbawamba, Tubthumping
  • I LOVE that song lol. And you are right...what is all of this pain and agony worth unless we can get back to being us? Believe it or not, it was you that came to mind as I was typing all that up earlier. You took the risk, and got back into your wet suit. And even if it does cause some discomfort, I bet it's worth every second.
  • How about if I just yell YAY! It sounds like it meant a lot to you to be able to skate again, and you DID IT! I bet it felt just awesome. Yes, be careful, but I'm living my life to the fullest. Still riding my horses because it's what I love the most (besides family & hubby).
    Teri
  • Always careful. Enjoy your rides :).
advertisement