Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from Hawaii

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Good News
Hello from Hawaii!! I arrived here almost 6 weeks ago and thought I would be online a lot sooner but the time has gone by so fast! I have really been enjoying time with my daughter and son-in-law and getting settled in here. Of course, it is so beautiful here and I have been having a great time with my daughter! We've been hanging out, alone and with her friends and it has been a lot of fun. I am "mom" to all of her friends and while I was afraid it would seem awkward to me or to her friends, it hasn't been. Her friends have told me that I am the "cool mom" and they have been very welcoming as well. I joked with my son-in-law that I was going to buy him this t-shirt that said "I fear nothing because I have a mother-in-law" but he said that wouldn't apply to him because he certainly had nothing to fear with me!

I am so very grateful to be here with them and it is certainly a beautiful place to be! I just wanted to let everyone know that I have not forgotten you, and I will upload a picture as soon as I can get the jpgs small enough!

Wish you were here!
advertisement

Comments

• kathy- that is good news. Hope the climate and family helps keep the pain away...enjoy...jade
  • :) hi! what island are you on? i lived on Kauai for almost 4 years! it is beautiful beyond words. i don't remember you from the old SH so tell me alittle about yourself. we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. keep in touch! Jenny :)
  • I just moved out here from Texas. I've only been a member since July but love the site and everyone here. I've had 3 L5/S1 fusions and one C4-6 fusion. My last surgery in November 2007 was a 360 spinal fusion revision and immediately after the surgery I was diagnosed with MRSA in the surgical incision. My infectious disease doctor kept saying that he believed my hardware was contaminated but my surgeon kept insisting that it wasn't and I couldn't get another surgeon to take me on after that surgery.

I moved out here to live with my daughter after my husband decided that he "didn't sign up for this" and wanted out of our marriage. They say now that I am a "failed back syndrome" and will never be able to work again. After seeing an infectious disease doctor out here I am waiting to see the surgeon about removing this hardware.

My husband and I were married for 13 years. I am so grateful that my daughter wanted me with her and that my son-in-law agreed. This is a beautiful place and it is wonderful to be surrounded by so much loving support!
  • :) hi! :H i was only there to pass in and out of airplanes. i loved Kauai and if i hadn't moved to Mexico i would have never left. you are certainly having alot of medical problems. i am sorry to hear you are unable to work. not only that but the end of your marriage must of been very traumatic. ~X( i have been together for 28 years and can not imagine starting over. you are so fortunate to have your daughter behind you. good luck and soak up the beauty. :X take good care of your self. rest and take your meds! Jenny :>
  • Good to hear from you. I know you have been thru a lot, and you deserve some island beauty and fun! Here's to your brighter future! Please keep us posted, and God Bless YOU!!--Mazy
  • God bless you Cathy. You made it to the promised land, just like you said you would. Enjoy paradise. You deserve it.

Cheers, Mate
  • Thanks, Mate. I'm enjoying my time with my daughter and of course the weather! I read a weather report for my part of Texas today that said there was a freeze warning for tonight - but I'm sitting on the patio and it is 74 degrees! =D> I love that part of it too!

My divorce is rough going right now and I had a very hard time this past week - it seems like my soon to be ex knows exactly which days to pick to be difficult, always days when I have had bad news at the doctors office or when I am in more pain - but I know I'll get through this too. And although it is hard to deal with the end of my marriage, I couldn't be in a better place to go through this with my daughter and son-in-law right here to help me and to be a support system. Right now, I'm just trying to get the divorce wrapped up before I have my hardware removal surgery. I'd rather not deal with that while I am recovering!

It looks like we may not be able to completely get rid of the MRSA infection, even with the hardware removal. Apparently there is a cage that was inserted from the front that cannot be removed without extreme risk. It is probable that the cage is contaminated with the MRSA too. However, my surgeon does think that by removing the screws and rods, he can get rid of the majority of it. He says that the screws and rods provide much more of a friendly environment for the bacteria so we are hoping that the cage contamination with prove to be minimal. So, it isn't going to the the "cure" that I was hoping for but at least it should prolong my life considerably. Right now, I am about one infection away from being in serious trouble. The antibiotics aren't quite doing their jobs as well as they used to. :S

I seem to have found some good doctors too! They are actually taking time to go over my medical records, listen to me and "hear" what I am saying. I was a little worried that I was going to get out here and have to convince my new doctors about the issues I have had and so I am grateful not to have to go through that. Of course my daughter says that when you see a huge stack of records just to cover the past year, you tend to pay attention! :)

• Hi Cathy, I recently had a 360 fusion and have since had many complications. I have many questions and nobody seems to have answers for me. How did you deal with this? Can you please help me understand the recovery of this surgery.
advertisement