Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 weeks postop and ouch!

candle99ccandle99 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Geez...I'm feeling like such a whiney baby. Last week, I bent over slightly to grab some shoes in my closet and felt a sharp knifeing pain in my right hip stemming from my low back. So I figured I'd pinched a nerve. It stayed sore for a couple of days but has gradually died down. This weekend, we were clearing out some brush from our bonfire place on a tiny creek on our property and I tried to help grabbing up branches and dragging them to a pile. Nothing heavy, but I was squatting as I bent and I did this alot Saturday. Sunday I was sore in my hips and thighs. Today, I'm at work and even more sore. I feel like I've done 3 hours of aerobics. My back has been stiff and hurting too, more than usual.

I have cages and BMP, so my NS said after 6 weeks, I could bend some and do what I wanted, just nothing really heavy lifting. I went back to work at 8 weeks postop and by Thurs/Friday of the week, I'm hurting pretty bad. Total, I've only had 3 days of no pain at all, all the others have had some pain.

I'm beginning to think now that I've done too much or I'm not a successful fusion since I still have pain. I'm still taking a muscle relaxer and Lorcet Plus, which is 7.5mg hydrocode and 600mg of acetaminaphine I think. It cuts the pain almost, but not entirely.

I go back to the NS in 3 weeks but I've considered calling to see him sooner. I just can't figure out if my pain is post op still (fusion happening, bone softening, etc) or from my activities. We live on 33 acres with 5 horses, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 2 kids. I've been riding the golf cart, trying to do some things outside, wash the car, etc?

How much activity is proper at 12 weeks postop? Could I have fibromyalgia if I'm staying so sore in my muscles for a long time? Am I just healing still? Could the pain be from my remaining L3/L4 bulge that my NS didn't touch. This surgery has been the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm walking, doing my PT exercises at home, but I'm still not feeling "done" yet. I'm so tired of all the pain and soreness. Some days I hate coming to work.

Yall, please forgive me for dumping today. I just feel so out of whack and trying to be "normal" again and it's not working out.

Melisa
advertisement

Comments

• :) please don't overdo!! ~X( that can be the biggest way to a failed recovery. if you are worried, call your doctor. it may be rest and some more rest is all you will need. take it easy and remember you are not Superwoman!! Jenny :)
  • I would call if you are worried. It's always better to call and ask then not to and find out that you should have. I think personally that you might have done way too much! I know it's hard to sit around and watch other people do things that you wish you do, but sometimes we just have to sit back and watch. Also it's hard to tell what your body can take even when you are having a good day. Sometimes it catches up with you in the end.
    I just had a level 2 ALIF on the 25th of last month and it's hard for me to sit and watch everone else do things. I have 2 dogs, 3 cats and 2 kids, so I know how hard sitting and doing nothing can be. Just remember, don't push yourself even if you think you're not. you don't want to re-injure the ALIF and make things worse. They say this takes a long time to heal even when we feel good.
    Keep in touch and let me know what the doc says! Like I said, it never hurts to call!

Kim
  • I am just about a month ahead of you in recovery and I can tell you that with the extra bending and lifting the hip pain is shared by me. I have had huge muscle knots in my butt and hips. I went to PT and they did deep tissue massage to help loosen up the pain was so bad. I don't know if this is an option for you, but if you tell doctor the pain you are in maybe. I feel for you, one thing PT told me was you have this 8-9 inch area that doesn't move everything above and below it is working doubletime, so those muscles are going to take on a lot. If you aren't able to go to PT have SO massage and if you feel up to it a very gentle stretch. I hope you feel better, you still are healing take it easy on your body.
  • then get in earlier to see your surgeon but I really think it is just that you are using muscles that have a) been weakened by non-use and b) are feeling 'assulted' like they do if you go to the gym after 1 yrs break.

Most of us here have been through the same thing once you start to get back to life. It is your bosy saying - no, be a bit more gently with me please" :))(

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement