Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical pain referred to throat and ear?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Six years ago I was diagnosed with cervical spinal damage caused by an accident and my surgeon recommened that C5/6 and C6/7 be fused after numerous tests including MRI. I have dodged the fusion and lived with mild headaches from time to time - mainly during the night when I wake up. Last week I had ear ache, sore throat and pain on top of my head - all pain was only on my right side. The skin on the top right side of my head is very sensitive to touch. After 2 days the pain subsided and my doctor suggested that it was a nerve that was playing up. The pain has now returned, but it is now on the left side of my head, throat and face. The pain is quite bad and even pain killing tablets do not help. I have been playing golf and I get the impression that the golf has probably not helped my situation. I am taking a break from golf to see if the pain subsides.
Has anyone had similar problems and are these problems/symptoms likely to be related to my cervical spinal injuries?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health. Good to hear that you were able to avoid the surgery. When was the last time you had any test done for the cervical spine? Typically the levels you have problems with are more symptomatic of the arms and shoulders as this video shows. http://www.spine-health.com/video/cervical-radiculopathy-interactive-video. But then I am not a doctor so it would be hard for me to say. I had severe ear pain and after the surgery it did go away but the doctor did not believe that it was coming from my spine. If your doctor believes it is nerve pain possibly you could discuss with them meds that will attack the nerve pain. Anyway wanted to say welcome to spine-health and keep us posted.
  • This sounds sorta familiar to me. Ever since C5/6 ruptured or started giving me problems I have head pain on the top center but more towards the left, where all my neck pain is. I also have head pain by the skull.
    Anyhow every once in awhile I'll have sinus area pain, ear pain, and just feel like I have a cold. Perhaps it has nothing to do with my neck problems, but the "cold" type feeling only last "3 to 4" days, which I remember a cold lasting a bit longer with a cough or runny nose. I get this every once in awhile especially if I haven't had the right sleep...
    It has come to the point that I don't know what pain is cause by what, do I have a cold or is it due to my neck...It is so fustrating ...Maybe it is actually fatigue?

All I know is that I fear taking a nap or laying down to sleep and getting up soon, because when I do my neck hurts, head hurts , even worse than after a whole nights sleep. I try now taking almost a full soma before I lay down for any sleep, it seems to help with waking up. Last couple times I wake up with left side ear pain.

Does anyone find when they get sick, their neck pains get worse?
  • I have similar pain. I get headaches that rainbow the middle of my head to both my ears also causing ear aches. I also get stabbing pains in the same spots. I was told this was brought on my muscle spasms in my neck and occipital muscles at the base of my skull.

My throat also hurts sometimes. I get pain at the base of my neck where my collar bone meets my throat.

It sounds like you might have pulled a muscle or your muscles are acting up due to your disc problems. Sometimes when I exercise or do something I shouldn't have I get these headaches pressure headaches. If your head hurts to the touch it is a muscle problems. I sounds all muscle to me.

Accupuncture has helped ease some muscle spasms for me. So has stretching and exercising. If your pain is so severe that you can't sleep you need to go back to your Dr. Maybe he can recommend physical therapy, MRI, meds,or something that can help you with your situation.

I hope you find some relief,
    Clarissa

large bulge c5-6, minimal bulges c6-7, c7-t1
  • Its interesting you mention that the skin on the top right side of your head is very sensitive to touch. I noticed a week ago that my whole shoulder was sensitive to the touch, almost like there was a bad rash, but there was nothing visably wrong with the skin. It went away after about a week, Im guessing it was just a nerve thing.
  • MarasmomMMarasmom Posts: 1
    edited 05/29/2013 - 5:32 PM
    About 7 days ago, I had a very weird sensation on the crown of my head, in a spot about the size of a baseball. It hurt to the touch, washing my hair was painful. Then the next day I was disabling dizzy, nauseous, very sensitive to smell. Having had acdf 2 weeks prior, I called my neurosurgeon. they thought it not related to surgery.. Wound up at pc, he sent me to the ER to be admitted.. The er doctor checked my ears... and diagnosed an ear infection and vertigo,....What??? Never had one before, but after seeing other posts, I think it has to be related somehow. Your post though about the sensitive scalp really got me.. My surgery was C5 6 he went in the right side, but the rupture/spurs ere on the left if it matters, and the ear infection and tenderness were right sided. Very odd. Now, at 3 wks out, the pain in my throat is killer.

• MichelleM13MMichelleM13 Posts: 1
    edited 07/27/2015 - 7:22 PM
    I've had a sore throat for 2 years. I'm a singer, thinking I damaged my vocals. Then a therapist told me it could be down to my spine and the discs in my back. I suffer with back and neck pain. Any thoughts anyone?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click link for helpful information!
  • rtv1966rrtv1966 Posts: 12
    edited 07/28/2015 - 1:57 PM
    While we're on the subject of vertigo I thought I would put my two cents in. I had 2 level ACDF surgery last December on C4,5, and 6. At my follow up appointment with the Neurosurgeon's assistant last Friday I mentioned my new vertigo and ringing in the ears issues. He blamed the vertigo on low or high blood pressure and the ringing in the ears on seasonal allergies. He told me it is not from my surgery and that the stenosis was fixed. The funny thing is I didn't have these symptoms before the surgery. I know I'm being given a load of BS. Can anyone tell me why the Neurosurgeons dismiss the vertigo subject and would rather make it look like your nuts? Vertigo seems to be a running theme on the forum after ACDF surgeries.
    2 level ACDF Surgery
  • What medicines are you taking?

SVB
  • My vertigo symptoms started about 2 months ago. When I first noticed them I was taking Flexeril with an occasional Percocet. Earlier this month I began pain management and was prescribed Lorzone. I'm 9 months out from surgery and still have neck and inner scapular pain with spasming and occasional headaches. I'm still out of work as an Electrician. It's been a very slow and frustrating recovery so far.
    2 level ACDF Surgery
  • I on occasion will get terrible pain in my jaw , the side of my face into my cheek and up the side and back of my head. It feels like I have a migraine, sinus infection, & ear ache all rolled in one and all top and bottom teeth ache terribly. Skin is super sensitive and doing any kind of activity makes it worse. I have had it several times but the last time I had it, it lasted for over a month and it was so bad I wanted to die. I have never experienced pain like that in my life. Needless to say after several trigger point injections and many appointments to my pain management doctor and one very costly visit to the ER they all told me I had a tension headache. I wanted to scream. I have lived with migraines all my life and this was no tension headache. I finally ended up back with my surgeon and he took a look at my CT scan and knew immediately it was inflammation in my top two vertibrates. He sent me to the get an epidural injection and that helped a lot. I don't know if that is what you are experiencing but if it sounds like it may be it is worth a shot to ask your Dr. about getting one done.
  • I did all of the conservative treatments before my ACDF surgery. Trigger points, 2 cervical epidurals, physical therapy, medications, and acupuncture. The result of the surgery is the pain went from the left side of my neck and shoulder into the rear base of my neck and inside my shoulder blades. I have frequent spasming and headaches with some vertigo. The bottom line is after being out on workers compensation for 8 months I attempted to go back to my Electrician job of 23 years. Human resources sent me a letter saying my department wouldn't accommodate my restrictions, and don't come back until you're 100 percent full duty. I have since filed for a disability pension. Oh well.....
    2 level ACDF Surgery
  • MTDMMTD Posts: 1
    edited 09/01/2015 - 12:03 PM
    I have very similar symptoms. Practically all of my discs in the neck are bad except for C1 and C2. My problems started in 1992, neck pain, I actually felt one my discs herniated. I was working as a cashier back then, job involved lots of neck movement. All of the sudden I felt a tiny collapse in the center of my neck, that was my disc herniating. Y'all know the pain. In 2013 had another MR I done and osteophites have formed. I have stenosis of the vertebrae foramen on most of the discs and stenosis of the canal - spinal cord. I know I have some more bad discs in my lower back but MR I has not been done. My body is so sensitive that I'm afraid to be in a crowd. When people accidentally bumped into me, my whole torso hurts. Yes I have pain in my ears, jaws, cheek bones, skull, top of my head, clavicle, shoulder joints, feet, knees, sciatic nerve pain, pressure in my head, pressure behind my eyes and in the middle inbetween my eyes, numbness in my fingers and toes, my toes sometimes painfully turned under all by itself, pain my back all over. My head keeps sliding forward which causes skull pain. I have limited movement of my neck, it seems as though my vertebrae have fused together. Yes, nature has its own way of healing herniated discs. Doctors wouldn't operate on me when they first herniated so I lived with the aches pain for many years. They say the space to work with in the cervical discs are very narrow and a good chance of my arms being paralyzed if they accidentally nicked a nerve. I mean your nerve bundles are right there. Now I have unco-arthritis in the cervical discs. I suffer sleep deprivation because I cannot find a comfortable position to sleep in, constantly tossing and turning until one day I just sleep in spite of my aches and pain because I was too tired and exhausted. One thing I don't see anyone mentioned so far is that in my research, they said people with bad cervical discs often experience strokes. Also, I heard some elderly people have surgery to clean up the arthritis stuff but they still hurt the same afterward. I don't have much of a range of motion in my neck if I accidentally move more than my neck or my body would like to, the result range from aches, pain , sprained and pressure. Especially when I'm driving and have to turn my head to check rear traffic. I'm skeptical of surgeries.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
advertisement