Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No Drugs for Me

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have decided not to take any pain meds or anything (tens, heat etc) for a week leading up to my discogram so that I can reestablish my "normal" pain. I want to know exactly what I am feeling when the procedure is done. Does this make sense to you, or am I just a glutton for punishment? :?

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• It makes sense to me, because pain medicines can alter or mask over the pain. But also keep in mind that you can go into withdrawals. What medicines are you on? If you're on Fentanyl like me, or others like it, it will make you extremely sick. Talk to your doctor and tell him what you plan on doing and why, and see what he thinks. I never had a discogram, and I don't know how sensitive the test is.
  • On occasion, but I really don't like to take pills. I'd rather have a bourbon. (not that I drink that all day or everyday or anything either) I'd really rather not take anything.

I don't think I will have a problem with withdrawal is the point I am *trying* to get to. :)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • your doctor feels that it is ok, go for it. Be prepared to take some after. From what I have read, some docs will give numbing shot after results and some won't.
  • You should be ok if you only take them once in awhile plus they are one of the lowest on the list as a pain reliever. Discuss this with your Dr. Its only Monday. Would hate to see you suffer during the week, if the pain acts up on you.

Now are they giving you concious sedation for the procedure?? So that you are semi comfortable as this is a painful procedure. Not for all, but for some.

My dr explained to me that If I ever decided to have it , it would be in the hospital and they would make me as comfortable as possible. Plus send me home with stronger meds when I got home due to some people being uncomfortable after the procdure.

Now after all treatments are tried has surgery ever been mentioned as in a fusion??? Just curious. Yes I know thats the last resort.

What does discectomy SX 2000 mean?? That you had a discectomy already??? The SX 2000 screwed me up ;)

I wish you the best of luck hunny and I sure hope this works for you!!!! O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) Will be thinking of you!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I did have a disectomy in September of 2000. I dunno if they are going to give me anything to calm me or not. I don't find out until I talk to the person performing it.Normally during steroid shots and such they will give me a valium, so I can still feel the pain but don't yelp about it. Apparently valium make me cry as last time I wept and wept after they wheeled me in to be monitored for a minute before I went home.

I basically have no disc left at L5-S1, the doc wants to fuse that one for sure. They want to do the discogram to find out if I am a candidate for replacement at L4-L5 as I have an annular tear there. If not, he wants to do a two level fusion and do something else at L3-L4 cause something funky is going on with that one too!

Yeah, I have been dealing with this crud for 10 years, some days better than not.
  • If a doctor has prescribed you medication and you want to deviate from that medication schedule, discuss it with the doctor first.

If this is the same doctor that requested the discogram, then he/she is aware of the meds you are taking and will know whether or not to expect them to make a difference in the outcome of the test.

"C"
  • I had one also, and besides your response as yes normal pain...They also measure how much they inject into the disc to get your response. the L3-4 was miled pressur with high pressurization and 1.5 cc for end point, L4-5 1.5cc, contrast extending to lateral marg, pain 9 of 10. L5 S1 2cc inj not end point, pain 10 of 10 contrast was leaking into L5-S1 lateral recess, so in essance They know how much it hurts, and the floroscopy will show the leaks and tears. I stopped my meds 2 days before and boy did I need them, and extra Rx for about 2 weeks after (per Doctors orders) and I used ice packs, these really help take the edge off. You might want to call and talk to the nurse, and see what the doc recommends. Good luck on your test, I feel for ya! Rose
  • Stephanie,
    I would not bother not taking meds. you will know exactly which discs are causing the pain. I had two bad discs and my pain was off the charts during the discrogram. I cried silently. I wanted to scream and jump off the table. for some it's not so bad... but if your discs are as bad as you already think they are... it's gonna hurt and if you took a pill or two earlier that day won't make much, if any difference. hope it's not as bad as it was for me!
  • For your sincere and varied comments. I really do appreciate the sounding board you have created.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Just my opinion, but I'd think 72 hours without pain meds would be sufficient.
  • You'll know. But I know what you mean, I stopped my meds after my ALIF, just to see where I was....to gauge myself. That didn't last very long...most Drs give you pain medication to help you,so I'm taking the help. My problem is I start to overdo things when I'm taking them..so I have had to set limits and stick to them. Not easy...
    Take care.... Sagehen
  • The thing is, I have not been taking meds on a regular consistant hourly or daily basis anyway. I am hurting, no doubt. But I think it good to hear my body. Even if she screams at me right now.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • My vote would be to not stop taking your medication. I had a discogram done a few weeks ago. At the time I was taking tramadol and I didn't stop for the procedure. Maybe you might want to not take it the day of procedure.

My experience was that they sedated me when they put the needles in and then woke me up. They injected the dye in one of my good disks and it did nothing, but when they injected the die in my two bad disks I could hardly breathe. Right after I confirmed that those disks were causing my usual pain they sedated me again. After I was awake and alert they then had me do a CT scan.

So, in my experience my pain was so increased that the other pain killers didn't matter. But, only your Dr. can confirm what they would like you to do.

I do want to say that I am glad I did the test because it did confirm that my L4-L5 and L5-S1 disks were causing my pain.
  • ah, yeah let us know how that goes
  • I think 72 hours is quite enough.
    I was dreading my discogram, knowing it was gonna bring on my worst pain.

However, I awoke and recall nothing. I am quite sure I made a huge fool of myself, abused the staff and so on. I do not recall any of it. :D

They will mamage your pain. Trust them and the test.
    They don't talk pain anymore, they know how much it hurts! 8}
  • That will be present on Thursday this morning, and she said that I should not take anything the day of. She also said that they will be giving me something to relax me, but that they want me fully present so that I can respond immediately. She says they will give me something good after the procedure is done.

I do have to have a CT done afterwards as well. They said I should be there about 3 hours or so.
  • Worry not, one of the meds they gave me was a short term memory loss one.
    It was great, once I knew what had happened of course. Waking up thinking they hadn't done the procudure was a bit spooky!

You know they are trying to source your pain so they can help plan your care.

Good Luck.
  • you know how it goes!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I was told just not to take them the day of the disogram and believe me.....it hurt like hell.....you can definately feel the pain. They usually hit you with a pain med as soon as they find the discs so dont worry. I started crying like a baby when they hit the freaking thing.
  • plenty of time to get worked up and nervous. I need to just chill out, cause I have been through pain before. I endure it everyday, duh Stephanie. :)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I really do appreciate it. I will let you know how it goes.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement