Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Op Postponed at last mintue!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi again

Bet you didn't expect to hear from me so soon

I got to the hospital and waited my turn, but just as I was about to get the needle placed in my arm, the consultant came thru from the theatre looking terrible. He had asked a nurse to take his blood pressure and it was thru the roof. SO he apologised but didn't want to proceed with my op as he wasn't 100% and if he started and then beacme worse..... it's not worth thinking about

So I'm home and have a new date of this Saturday 11th at 08:00 for the first op and the following Friday 17th for the 2nd

Ho hum

Ho hum

But it could have been much worse.........
advertisement

Comments

• That is interesting. Good to know that they care about being in good shape before opening you up. Wouldn't have to ask me twice.
  • I know you hated to have it postponed when you were all geared up for it - but you certainly did not want a surgeon who was not at his best!

• Im so sorry hun that this happened. But someone or something was looking over you. I am very surprised that the Dr even came in. I imagine he/she was not feeling well the night before or early in the AM upon wakening. I'm surprised he/she did just not call in and then call you to tell you not to come. But oh well mabye for the best.
    Now you have more time to be home mentally prepare, mabye do some last minute things. Enjoy some things that you would not be able to do "if having surgery" like a walk, or a store simple things that we take for granted and cannot do when we once get in to the OP and cannot do for a long time after.
    So enjoy your little holiday. It will come fast. And be here and over before you know it.
    I thought Sept 17th was forever and away. Now look its Oct 5th already :D :D

Hang in there, as you know we will be here for you all week !!!! Oh by any chance did ya ask about the food thing before you left :O :? I'm still so curious about that. SERIOUSLY. I thought about it all night long believe it or not =)) =))

To add to your other post, your on so many meds, concentrating on all they are teaching you. Nurses in and out taking your vital signs etc, All your really want to do is sleep or watch a nice show. Kinda hard to sit up and knit, read etc your so loopy with the meds. Not saying this is going to be true, as we have has old timers write us from the hospital the day of their surgery on their laptops!! AMAZING.
    Even this time in the hospital I was much better pain wise, knowing who was there and awake most of the time, but my mind was lalalalalalalalala on the meds. So I zoned out most of the time and visited with the nurses and whoever else came in..

Now I forgot sorry as Im to lazy to go back to the other post. Are they doing the back first?? Then the front?? Or opposite???

You will have belly pain more so then back pain. Just from reading everyone's other's posts. I pray for you all goes well and you have no issues at all.
    The gas will be the worst of it all in the belly area. Nice warm heat packs the nurses give you make it feel so better. And get up and walk when they tell you to. It will help move around that gas. You will feel so much better when that happens.

If ya need us we are here. I know as for myself Im not jumping on a plane anytime soon and going on a cruise =)) =)) =)) =))

Lots of huggies
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Glad to hear that the Dr. knew he was not up to par. I would not want a Dr. doing this kind of surgery let along another others when he was ill. What 2 operations are you having done. Sorry I do not know your story. I think that is sure alot to go threw so soon. Seems like you would still be in pain from the one. Are they at least going to keep you in the hospital the whole time??? I wish you luck my friend with all you are going threw. I am sending good thoughts your way. >:D<
  • oh snoopy I'm sorry you have to wait a few more days but consider it a blessing. Like you said it could have gone bad if they had proceeded. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Enjoy the next few days and you'll be all ready to go.

Kel

• I'm sorry. That's gotta suck being so close and then having to wait again. But they're right, it would be a lot worse to have someone working on you that isn't one hundred percent.

Terri is right, too... Belly pain... SO much worse than the back pain. Tummy issues are what kept me in the hospital longer than expected.
  • Now I've had time to get used to the idea, I know he was right
  • Thats what he said. It doesn't bare thinking about if he'd keeled over half way thru x
  • What are you like? Please don't lose sleep over my tea biscuits and some dried apricots....it ain't worth it lovely!! =))

Doc said he had felt ok in the morning, but had a couple of injections to do and then a ALIF, and at the end of that he said he felt woozy and hot, hence he got the nurse to take his BP... good job he did speak up. The nurses said a lot of others wouldn't have done, and it is harder to make the decision that he did =D> =D>

As I was all ready - and the nurses had walked me to theatre and taken my slippers and dressing gown back to my room - I can give you a little of the information given me before the op......

I was asked to order food for when I woke up - tea and toast for Monday night (op was due to finish at 9pm) - then I was asked to order a light breakfast for Tuesday morning. She ticked the boxes of OJ, bran flakes, toast and jam and tea .... that's more than I have on a Heavy Day!!!

So food doesn't seem to be an issue over here in UK - and I get a menu as it's a private hospital, insurance are paying.

I am having the back op first and now it is on Saturday I have 6 days between that and the 2nd op - and I get to stay in hospital during that time. I do think knitting was a step too far, but I had thought I would do it while waiting yesterday - but nerves got the better of me and I dosed instead. So I'll leave that at home next time.

• You're right - I think it was a harder decision for him to make, but definately the right one. All the nurses agreed. Said he is a superb doctor, and others may not have had his conern for his patient.

My back op is now Saturday 11th and the front disc replacement the following Friday, so I now have an extra day or so between ops. I will stay in hospital and get the superb care from nurses and physios in between.

Others do have the ops on the same day Croswet was having it yesterday too - but my doc prefers to split the ops up and allow a recovery period between them

Thanks for the good wishes
    x
  • My family - my gran especially - said 'if it's meant to happen it will' - so obvioulsy it was meant to happen yesterday.

The shame of it is, I was all ready and organised. Food in the freezer for hubby and daughter. Upcoming birthday presents bought and wrapped. think I'll stay home now and wat it out..... don't want to go catching the cold myself!!!
  • Whats meant to be will be - and I guess it wasn't meant to be yesterday

The doc has written up meds for BM trouble, but I know the gases can be an issue - they were when I was sterilised - but the nurses seemed really nice and I get leg blowers (?) on my legs to stop DVT too. Seemingly they're lovely, but I haven't tried them yet. Also the nurse made sure I had an electric bed (not all are) so that I can have my back up and knees raised at the push of a button - hope it's still free on Saturday!!!

How are you doing now? Feeling good?
  • Well Snoopy as you know these things often happen for a reason so as much as it is a bummer to go through all that mental prep again, it is a good thing he spoke up.

I worked in a private hopsital in pathology and one of our surgeons ob/gyn was doing a vag hysterectomy on a patient when he fell on her dead as a dodo! Had a massive heart attack. Sounds like something you would see in a comedy :))( but it really happened.
    Luckily there was another ob/gyn in the next theatre that could take over the op!

Not that your Surgeon has problems, just the opposite if he said he was unwell. With Drs schedules it is rare not just to push on.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanks

That is what the nurses said - many would have carried on. But he explained to me that if he did keel over, he wasn't certain his assistant could continue to a successful outcome - and he didn't want that for either of us

He was right and he is human after all!

x
  • I am disappointed for you, I know how one pscy's up for the surgery but better safe eh?

I think an honest doctor goes a very long way.
    Still plugging for you!
    I hope the next few days are good to you. x

• Thank you

So many people from gp to insurance have said how nice it is to hear of a doc doing this when there would have been so much organisation to cancel - but he had my best interests (and his I guess) at heart

He is a good man and I do trust him more now

Thanks again

I hope you are doing ok today?

x
  • its all in the attitude. ;)

I realise little has changed really but I am ready to do a long time on pain meds, with a smile on my face and adjusted lifestyle.

I will do what I need to to get by and in a wee while you'll be here too, hopefully a simple recovery and gunning for the days when you'll get some life back! (me too!!)
  • hey fellow UK spiney!

absolutely right that the surgeon didnt proceed but like everyone has said there is nothing worse than being psyched up good to go and then have it postponed. Sounds like you have a really good mental attitude tho.

keep that chin up and it will be time sooner than you think

>:D<

N

advertisement