Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How would you describe what fibro feels like

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Fibromyalgia
Since I suffer from both fibromyalgia for many years and cervical injury with degeneration bone spurs, and I'm coming up on my NS appt, I want to compare notes on what fibro feels like to help isolate my pain from my neck. I know they are not completely separate. But I'm really curious how others would describe the pain from fibro. :S
advertisement

Comments

• Hmmmm I kind of know what you mean. I've had nerve pain too and it's very hard sometimes figuring out the difference. The way that I have described it is that I have done a million hamstring curls or whatever muscle hurts at that moment.

The other description I often use is that my muscles feel like they are in a constant state of contraction. Like they don't want to stretch out, which is why stretching is important to me.

Sometimes, it feels like a bad, bad sunburn. When I have the lumps, they feel like huge sunburnt mosquito bites. Not b/c they itch but the feel of them. Actually it's kind of like my tissues are scrunched up! PT said that's exactly what it should feel like if you have fibro!

I guess I thing of the nerve pain going through like an electric shock, whereas the muscle pain from fibro seems like it's origin IS in the muscles.
  • I think that is a very good description of fibro pain. My chest feels like I've been lifting weights to a point of muscle fatigue and then you can't lift anymore because your muscles are too sore. OUCH!
  • I'm glad I don't have that..

I'm sorry yall do... >:D<

My muscles do feel all bunched up and tight/sore,but I don't have any lumps.Just spasms all the time.I think mine comes from not getting enough excercise or not moving the 'right' way.

• I can deal with the muscle pain, but these lumps make me nuts. I am constantly using a rolling pin to loosen them up!
  • I too have knots and stretch and feel a sense of muscle fatigue. I do have spasms but I'm not sure just how aware of them. Its when dr's start touching trigger points like in an arm that I'm surprised. I used to think this was fibro pain but now I'm wondering if this sensation is more spinal. I would describe my pain as often flowing through my blood. On a bad day my knees hurt even though the joint does not hurt. Even my calves have this sensation of pain floating about. I do feel very tight. I am tired easily and could probably nap at any time if my stress level was not too high. I have an appt with a neurosurgeon next week and alot of my pain to me sounds different from what I'm hearing described. I often feel beat up, which I attribute to fibro. But that feeling of pain just spreading through my body I don't know if its fibro or neuro. I hope I found a good dr/NS
  • thankfully i do not have that either so my heart goes out to all that do suffer with those symptoms.

my fibro is a totally worn out flu feeling without all the lovely other symptoms. just plain old sore.
    if out shopping or to a friends we come home and i cannot lift a finger, im so worn out. i will end up in bed for 2 days plus .
    sometimes my flares last anywhere from a day to weeks.
    fingers crossed that hasn't happend inawhile. (mabye due to pain med?) not sure..

when walking i get the pinching feeling in the shoulders. inbetween my shoulder blades and pinching in my hips.

i have horrible light and noise sensitivity.

i rarely get spasms, lumps none of that. if i do i relate that to my back/cervical issues.

i do get spasms in my feet but do not contribute that to fibro either.

so this goes to show you how fibro effects us all so differently.

lots of hugs
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

• I don't think I do anyway. I do sometimes feel like pain is floating around but it really feels more like I've done a million calf raises.
  • Fuzzy you are spot on! As I lay in my bed with a TENS unit on, I need it up so high, I'm trading one type of pain for another! ~X( The pain that is taking precedence at the moment is the lump in my back that is spasming so bad, if I turned the TENS unit off, I fear I would be making a trip to the emergency room. If I can make it through the night, my Dr appt is tomorrow at 9am. I thought the decompression therapy for my neck was diminishing the pain but now I'm having my doubts. Before my muscles started spasming in my upper back, the pain was in my calves and thighs.
    Since I need my liver, I'm attempting to stay away from narcotics as long as possible, but believe me...they're only an arms reach away.
    Just trying to make it through the night... :<
  • I meant to add I get very sore all over. Mainly the tender points. Thats what I meant by not being able to lift a finger its that mixed with fatigue.
    The only thing that cures that for me is a very big heating blanket. I wrap up in it and sleep, till I awake sweating my tush off (|:
    I am trying to save for a hot tub that will come someday in life :D
  • I have to agree on my worst day it feels like a really bad case of the flu. I'm achy all over and just simply don't feel good. I have experienced the pinching feeling in my shoulders, neck, and between the shoulders. My back would sometimes feel so tight. I used to feel that all the time when I worked behind a computer all day long. I had one of my coworkers rub my shoulders one time because they were bothering me so much I couldn't focus on my work. She was surprised at how tight they were. I told her that was an every day thing for me. Furtunately I don't work behind the computer any more, god I hated coming home in pain. I always bugged hubby to rub my shoulders.

There are days I would describe FM as if you were just run over by a truck, or had weights on your feet and felt sluggish. Their are to many ways to describe what it feels like.
  • to all of ur comments on here i have researched this condition i believe i might have fibromyalgia all the symptoms u are describing are what im feeling.i feel pain all over from my neck down my muscles keep knotting up all the time the pain feels like deep in my tissues its constant never goes away.all the overlapping conditions associated with this disorder im slowly coming down with.both of my hands ive developed carpal tunnel which i believe is caused by fibro any advice or suggestions from anyone??how did you find relief from this condition
  • It fells like hot lead or something running through your legs, arms,etc. I sometimes lay on the cold tile kitchen floor. Sometimes I just want to die!! I can't take the flare-ups!!!
  • badgrrrlbbadgrrrl Posts: 6
    edited 06/16/2016 - 12:06 PM
    constantly have had severe muscle spasms since i was 16 went thru lots of toridol(sp?)shots that did help for a bit, physical therapy (pffffft useless)finally diagnosed with fibro just this year and for me i just totally feel like i have the flu all the time 10x's over with the aching and so so tired, back muscles hard as rocks and every breath i take hurts right at the muscles over my chest. currently taking Soma/Vicodin and for the past 21 days low dose of lyrica which has eased the "vibrating" feel in muscles. tired of explaining to everyone that yeah i look ok to you but i hurt more than you can ever know. this page/story was a godsend to me...http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ hugsssssssssss to all if you can stand being touched, there are many days where a simple hug sends me into severe pain :(

• Oh man I feel stiff all the time, and I feel like I have been ran over by a truck then the tracked backed up. I have no energy and feel like flue type symptoms. when I wake up it is hard to get out of bed because I am stiff and my body is screaming. Spasms are awful.

I feel for anyone who deals with in day in and day out.

Hugs I pray you all get better.

Life is not worth being in bed all the time. IN other words we were not born to have pain but to fulfill what we were meant to do.
  • Anonymous said:
    Since I suffer from both fibromyalgia for many years and cervical injury with degeneration bone spurs, and I'm coming up on my NS appt, I want to compare notes on what fibro feels like to help isolate my pain from my neck. I know they are not completely separate. But I'm really curious how others would describe the pain from fibro. :S
  • Anonymous said:
  • fibro is widespread pain all over your body,it feels like the pain you get all over with the flu,sometimes like youve been kicked all over and extreme tiredness too,when i walk it feels like im wearing lead boots, that feeling of your legs being weighed down,i also suffer headaches sore and itchy ears,pain in my toes,difficulty swallowing certain foods and a lot more
  • you also have trouble sleepin with fibro,you cant go into deep sleep,the docs put me on amitriptiline and zopliclone for this none worked
  • many people with rhuematoid arthritis also suffer from fibro also people with lupus,the docs were checkin me for lupus first and although i had many of the symptoms it didnt show up in my blood the doc says lupus symptoms show up first before it shows up in the blood,so they may test me for that again further down the line as many people with lupus also have fibro some people feel to hot or too cold you cant regulate your temp with fibro, hot things may feel cold and cold things hot u sometimes get a burning feeling in your hands or feet and are more sensitive to pain than most people
  • My legs are on fire and achy.Trouble sleeping, it really sucks! Sometimes its so hot i lay on the tile floor in kitchen.
  • My pain is more muscular than anything. I have spasms in different areas of my body at any giving time.When im am touch or a lil pressure is applied to my body it hurts.Now the promblem is setting in my hands and feet.i cant hardly take the pressure of my onwn weight after sitting for a while. My hands hurt now,it feels like they are always swolllen. I never thought the pain would last so long. I love my liver too but i have tried cymbata and lyrica and they dont work for me. I am prescribed 120 percocet Tens a month for pain.
  • Social Security denied me. Said I wasn't sick enough. Besides my back, Fibro etc. it's not enough! Today I am so tired of hurting, feeling bad, I can't take it anymore! I feel I have no quality of life. Always laying around, complaining. I'm sure people get tired of me complaining. I'm tired of complaining. Had to hire a lawyer to help me.
advertisement