Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical spinal surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi. I am a 35 year old female who has been "dealing" with DDD in my cervical and lumbar spine for 3 years now. The DDD is in my C5/C6, C6/C7 and is getting worse. The surgeon I saw confirmed that I have increasing weakness in my left arm. I have lost my reflexes and the pain is gettin unbearable. He wants to perform anterior fusion at both levels and I am scared to death.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i do not have your exact problems although i do have DDD in my back. we do have pain in common. May i suggest a second or even a third opinion. you sound like you have only one doctor. good luck with whatever you decide. Jenny
  • only natural to be scared going into surgery. You might wanna check-out "Back Surgery" forum. Many others that have had your procedure. Welcome to SH and hope all goes well.
  • tinker- welcome to SH. There is alot of information on cervical surgeries as well DDD in the different sections. If you are not sure, it can't hurt to get another opinion like lulu mentioned...take care..jade
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry to see that you are dealing with so much. Glad to see that you have doctors that are taking care of finding out the source of your problems and offering up possible solutions.

You should be able to find plenty of folks here to discuss surgery at those levels with you.

"C"
  • Hi and welcome.

I learned a month ago that I have some major issues with C4-7 and need to have a 3-level ACDF with hardware surgery and I am scheduled for Oct. 21. I have talked with a LOT of people (and I mean a LOT) who have had this or a 2-level w/hardware done and every one of them have told me they are glad they had it done. The pain is gone and, although most lack some ROM, the recovery wasn't as difficult as they thought it would be.

I just wanted to let you know that I was totally scared also when I found out I needed surgery (I've never stayed in a hospital before, much less had surgery), but after reaching out, I am very excited to get it going. The waiting is the hardest part now. :W

Try to look at the light at the end of the tunnel - no more bandaids, pills or pain.

Good luck and I hope you find peace with this. It will work out great for you and you have all of our support until then. >:D<

Cathie
  • I just had ACDF C-5-6 and C6-7 in September. I am still on the road to recovery. I know how you feel. Surgery is a scary thing. As others suggested, I would get a second or even a third opinion. If they all suggest the same thing, that should help put your mind at ease. If you need to talk, feel free to PM me and good luck.
  • welcome tinkerkat, if u werent scared to death then there would be something wrong with u. i believe even those that have had manyyyyyy sugerys are still frightened because there are not any guarantees with surgery. what can take your mind of of that maybe to start preaparing yourself for post surgery at home. hope u have help because i admire those who have to recover alone without help after surgery. there are many great threads in the forum with very good ideas psot surgery. i myself only had to be scared for 5 days - the lag time from knowing and having surgery and i wouldnot have liked it if it was 5 weeks, 5 months, or 5 years. wish u well and feel free to ask many questions or send private messages to people, i am sure most will be caring and reply.
    God bless all
    kc
  • Hello there,

I just had a 2 level ACDF C 4-6 on 9-3-08. So far I an very excited about the changes I have even though I still have pain.
    I am still in a hard collar and will let you know more as I move forward in my recovery process.

I know, just aas others have said, how difficult it is to think aboout surgery and staying in the hospital and the risks etc. All the things your feeling are totally normal.

Also I am with everyone else here who suggests to get 2-3 opinions about the treatment-surgery. You just never know what another doc might see. You also may find another doc with whom your more comfortable with. It is my opinion that the more comfortable we are with our Doctor or surgeon the better things will seem to be!
    I post alot in the surgery area, and your always welcome to PM me if you want some extra support or have a bunch of questions to ask.
    CRASH and I were fortunate enough to be close enough with our surgery dates that we did not have to go it alone! We had eachother to and manyothers to help us through it all :)

Good Luck with everything!

Chrissy
advertisement