Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Imput please !!!!!

wally2wwally2 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all, I am posting in this area because I feel more members can relate to my questions as they have probably already been there.

Have had a single lumbar herniation issue for 12 years treated with PT and meds on occasion. as of Feb. 2008, was injured on the job and had to have cervical surgery with plate and screws and re-herniated the disk. In April 2008, while recovering at home from neck surgery, Tore the herniated disk and released disk chemical into the back area causing swelling and my spine to bend away from the pain. It went back to almost normal a couple a months later when the swelling subsided. Went through intensive PT and are currently on some meds.

1. I Consider my spine surgeon excellent and I trust him impeccably as he does not like to do surgery unless as a last resort. He has advised the disk will heal and I will be back to my pre-tear feeling, however it could take 18 months. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A LONG WAIT TIME?

2. I am currently doing my own PT at home as directed by my spine surgeon's PT staff and taking Tramadol as needed. I am also still on Celebrex.

*** I asked my surgeon if I was nearing any needed surgery, but he said my disk still had alot of height and the pain would subside over time.

*** I have been in alot of pain since the re-herniation and especially since the tear in the disk. Do you all think 18 months is normal for a torn disk to heal over somewhat and the pain to lessen? It still feels like alot of pressure is on the disk causing the pain and of course I don;t bend, lift over ten pounds or twist if I can prevent it. I am usually not in alot of pain most days and the Tramadol works well when I need to take it. What do you Think?

ALSO, Please don't think I am sounding like my DDD symptoms are any worse then some of you surgery members, I know what pain really is and I know you all have been bravely fighting it.
advertisement

Comments

• sound like a long time Wally2 and it will probably feel like a long time as well especially if you are in pain.
    However, it also sound pretty normal from what I have read here. I dont have cervical issues so cant relate completely but I do know that pain is pain whatever part of the body it is in. Also pain can be relative, some people have a very high tolerance to pain and others not so much, so dont worry about anyone judging you for feeling pain or for your condition versus theirs.
    We are all here to help eachother.

What you need to do it to keep a diary and learn what you are doing that makes it worse (if anything) and learn what you can do to improve the pain.
    Before I had my surgery I knew I needed to lie down every afternoon, even if I was not tired. This helped me keep the pain levels down so I could keep going.
    I know it is monotonous but really worth writing everything down 10 mins in car 90 mins on sofa watching TV, walked 5 blocks etc.

Hope this helps you a bit.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • disc tear unlikely to heal :SS which was a worry back for me.
    If your pain meds are working and you are learning your range of movement and what you can't do go with it for as long as paossible.

My situation slowly cranked up. When i look back it is amazing how much pain you really can cope with, even when you think your at the end point. Mentally be strong.

The surgery is way last resort stuff. I beleive the surgeons have a pretty good handle on what situations and personalities they can help.

Be strong. Hopefully, your problems will resolve, over time as they say.
  • when you have a tear it takes a long time to heal. I believe if you are active, it won't heal asa quickly either. I had annular tears in my discs and suffered greatly for 15 months before having my fusion. The tears got worse, not better. You must keep control of the inflammation to promote healing. ESI's can help with inflammation, but steroids typically inhibit tissue healing, so that's something to talk to the dr about.
    I take it you don't want to have surgery? A herniated disc can be very painful. But, if you don't have severe neuropathy, and your pain is managed without narcotics, I would suspect it is a small herniation. The tear will hurt because the fluid in the disc is very irritating to the nerves, as it leaks, the nerves get mad and cause the pain.
    Good luck with all this. I hope your disc heals quickly so you can get on with your life.
    -Jenn