Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Venting: return of pre-op symptoms

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am almost 10 weeks post-op. This past Friday PT added 2 new exercises. They gave me 2 lb weights which were too heavy, so I went to 1 lb. Exercises involved lifting both arms out to sides to shoulder height (3 sets of 10) then same exercise with arms out to front.
Friday night I was in terrible pain; husband said I was moaning in my sleep all night. I woke up from my crying...
Also I had a return of the same horrendous pain/numbness in my right arm that I had before surgery. Needles to say I was very upset. Took it easy all weekend and used moist heat on neck (Doctor told me to do that at my last appt for muscle spasms). The rest of the weekend, I had neck pain and stiffness, but not much numbness. I called Doctor on Monday AM and spoke to PA. She said I overdid it at PT (one pound??)
She said to ICE the area and increase valium to 4 mg every 8 hours. NO exercises at PT..they can only apply ice or heat if I want to go. She told me call back in a couple of days to check in.
I am worried that if this little exercise can cause so much pain/numbness what does that mean for my future?
Today my hand is very numb and some pain in my arm. I had a tough night last nite.
Will call PT this AM regarding my appt.
I am sure they will tell me, but when do you ice and when do you use heat?
Thanks for listening, I am a bit upset about this return of symptoms.
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry this happened. It seems to with starting out in PT with adding weights. Thank goodness I only had stretches to do with no weights with mine back in 04.
    Yes it's different picking up something at home that is 1 lb then actually doing strengthening excercises with 1 lb. You really notice the muscles that have not been used.
    Sorry it cause you so much pain. You did do the right thing by calling Dr and resting. Keep doing that and check back in with them like they said.
    Do you still have pain meds to take?? To ease the pain a bit. I know how uncomfortable it can be. I remember when I did my neck the first few times. OH MY JELLYBEANS I did not know there was muscles that could hurt that bad.
    So hang in there, just keep in touch with the doc like you said.
    Mabye they will do something different with you instead of weights.

HANG IN THERE!!! Feel better ;)
    Terri O:) >:D<
  • sorry things aren't going the way they should. I'm in the same boat too. My pre op symptoms are still with me after 16 weeks (TLIF). To top that off, I've been dismissed from PT for not improving. I'll have to be reevaluated by my NS. I don't know what to do; I feel they are getting frustrated and I am running out of options. I'd like to encourage you, but I feel pretty bummed out. Anyways, take care and hang on.
  • I am sorry you are going through this. I can tell you are feeling "let down". Hopefully things will begin to look up for both of us soon. take care