Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi my name is Sally

I have a question. I would appreciate as many replys as to what caused your neck acdfs.
I mean disc herniations. I had acdf in Jan 08 c3/4. My problem was ongoing working infront of a computer for 19 years and slouching foward with neck flexed. (bad posture)

advertisement

Comments

• slavica38 said:
    Hi my name is Sally

I have a question. I would appreciate as many replys as to what caused your neck acdfs.
    I mean disc herniations. I had acdf in Jan 08 c3/4. My problem was ongoing working infront of a computer for 19 years and slouching foward with neck flexed. (bad posture)

Hi Sally,
    I guess the computer is tough on necks because I have worked on one for the last 20+ years and I know exactly what you are talking about with the slouching forward with neck flexed. Even though I designed my office and had a friend build it and even though I bought expensive chairs I still feel the computer work has been very bad for me. Add that to the fact I love to garden and that spinal problems run in my family and it makes sense that I ended up having ACDF 3 level surgery recently. I have other things going on but I hope this recent surgery will give me a lot of good years.
    LJ
  • Welcome to spine-health. For myself i had surgery as a result of a head on accident several years ago so the pain was instant and not from wear and tear so to speak. However we have many computer users here as yourself and maybe they will be along shortly. How is your pain since the surgery? Have you adjusted your posture as a result of the surgery? As for myself i find my laptop more conducive when at home where i can lay back in the recliner with my head supported. As for work a much more unfriendly environment for the cervical spine. Here is a link to a article on office ergonomics that may help http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/ergonomics/office-chair-posture-and-driving-ergonomics. Anyway welcome to spine-health.
  • Hi Sally:

I'd say at least part of my upcoming acdf is going to be due to years and years of slouching in front of computers. My doctors say it is also genetic. They say I have a narrower spinal canal than normal, causing the stenosis. What percent was computers and what percent genetics I couldn't say.

I have had jobs since around 1985 all sitting at computers and then I'd go home and play games on computers and/or fix software/hardware issues. I'm a pretty hard core gamer and have been for at least as long.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • A combination of osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, foraminal stenosis, and herniated disc while moving, packing heavy boxes up stairs.
  • My neck problems were caused by being rear-ended by a semi on the highway in a construction zone. It's a long story but we can safely say that the semi won ~X(

I never worked with computers so I can't blame that!

Griff
  • Mine I believe started or gave it an early start when I was hit from behind in a vehicle by a drunk driver. I had a severe case of whiplast at 12 years old. Wore a cervical collar. I went for about 3 years, with no problems. Then the problems started. I've been going to a Chiropractor for about 26 years. Now in the last year, things have REALLY gone down hill with my neck. And prior to that, things were real bad with my lumbar spine. I have pain there as well, but nothing I can't live with right now. Right now I'm concentrating on my C-spine. PLUS, I have been at a desk job for almost 18 years now - slouching and bad flexion probably. I have my desk/chair and such always ergonomically correct for years, but just don't think "my job" in general helps the situation.

Currently, I am looking at a one level fusion at C6/C7 due to a large herniated disk sitting on my spinal cord. This is according to 10/07 MRI results. I have another MRI coming up this MOnday for a more recent reading. I'd be any money it's definatly worse. I can't wait to get the results. anxiously waiting ! ;)

Sandra
    GOOD LUCK to you
advertisement