Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
I HAD A L5-S1 DISCETOMY IN 2005 AND IT SHOWED THAT I HAD DDD IN SEVERAL AREAS OF MY LOWER BACK. IN MAY OF THIS YEAR SUFFERED ANNULAR TEAR IN SEVERAL PLACES ON L5-S1 DISC. COULD NOT WALK,STAND,SIT,LAY DOWN,DRIVE,HAVE SEX,OR DO ANYTHING!!! MY BUTT HEAD OF A SURGEON STATED THAT I NEEDED A ALIF DONE, HAD IT DONE AND HAVE HAD A HELL OF A TIME SINCE THE SURGERY. IF I KNEW THAT I WOULD HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS I WOULD HAVE NEVER EVER HAD THE SURGERY. I NOW HAVE CHRONIC PAIN, RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME,NO APPETITE,PAIN THAT NOT ONLY FEELS LIKE SOMEONE IS TAKING A SLEDGE HAMMER AND DRIVING A RAIL ROAD TIE THROUGH ME. THE PRESSURE FEELS LIKE I HAVE A ELEPHANT SITTING ON MY LOWER BACK AROUND THE SURGICAL SITE AND HIP. FEELING THAT MY LEFT HIP FROM MY SPINE ALL THE WAY TO THE JOINT IS GOING TO EXPLODE. I DONT SLEEP AND AM ON NO PAIN MEDS. HAVE NOT BEEN SINCE MY SURGERY WHICH WAS ON THE 15TH OF AUG. MY SURGEON WHICH I FIRED STATED THAT I DIDNT NEED PAIN MEDS DUE TO MY AGE.(I TURN 30 IN APRIL). X-RAY SHOWED THAT THE SRUGERY WAS A SUCCESS,BUT WHY IN THE HELL AM I IN SO MUCH FREAKING PAIN? I JUST WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP AND BE PAIN FREE FOR JUST A FREAKING DAY.. HELL I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING FOR JUST AN HOUR OR TWO... WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING..MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS PBLACK79@GMAIL.COM PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ALL ARE DEALING WITH STUFF LIKE THIS..
advertisement

Comments

• That you get the relief that you seek, and soon. I know that chronic pain is difficult. I also know that you can and will make it to the other side of this hurdle should you choose to.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • It has to be extremely frustrating for you right now, but have you ever been given the option or had a referral to a pain management doc or clinic?

In my experience, most surgeons and many times primary docs, do not feel comfortable managing on-going or chronic pain. I can't say positively, but it may just be that your pain has become chronic on some level and you might be better served by a Pain Management physician.

The sad truth, is that for many of us, by the time a surgery is actually performed, our pain "gateways" are opened and we need an experienced professional to help get them closed back up or at least managed. I know in my case, I went untreated or under-treated for so long, that I have become chronic and will most likely be on meds and involved in some form of pain management for the long haul.

This is not to say that you are in the same boat. Just trying to give you some possibile reasons or explainations for why you are still dealing with daily pain. To me, it seems like giving PM a try would be worth it. It definitely gave me back a better quality of life, as it has for many other people that I know. There really is a light at the end of the tunnel, if you can find a good and caring doc to help.

I hope you can find someone to help shed some light on what you are feeling and dealing with every day. Again, I'm not saying that this is a permenant thing for you, but just that it can take some time and some further treatment to help you get back on your feet. It really is unfair when a doc leaves you "on your own" to get through the aftermath of an injury or surgery. There should have been something put in place for you, if the surgeon didn't want to do your follow-up care himself/herself.

I wish you the best and I'll be floating around here if you want to vent or if I can offer any support or advice. I'm sure I don't have all of the answers, but I'm willing to help if or when I can. Take care and please know you are not alone. Mitzi
  • I can't believe a surgeon would not provide pain management after surgery, at ANY age!!! It's stuff like this when I read of an idiot doc I can hardly contain myself from not posting.

Did you discuss any post-op pain control before surgery? That is appaulling that he/she has made you suffer. Pain meds after surgery aside from helping the pain obviously they also help us rehab!!

I agree with Mitzi 100% it's time to get to a pain mgmnt doc and get some help. Call and see if you need a referral sometimes you don't, sometimes it has to do w/insurance reasons. If you have a regular general medical doc they can do a referral, it doesn't have to be the surgeon.

Bless your heart hold on and you WILL find some help.
    Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
  • You and I must share the same doctor! It really sucks that they won't listen to you and choose to let you live in your pain. My angry (at doctors) thoughts are with you...
  • I had an endoscopic microD done last december for an annular tare and that surgery was also failed. I, much like you would never have had the surgery done if I had known that I would be worse. My PM doc did my surgery and I am thankful that he is not arrogant like lots of surgeons and believes that I am still in pain and continues to treat me. But, I can very much relate to how angry that you are and I think that you should be warned of the surgery possibly making the pain worse. My doc has told me not to even consider a fusion unless I am unable to move because of the failure rate. He has also warned me that ADR has not been perfected and that he would in no way consider that. Good luck to you and I hope that you find relief soon.
    BTW- My solution has been opiates which has ben pretty successful. It may be something to think about.
  • I hope you're looking for another Dr. and get an MRI. You need pain meds. Be tenacious and find a Dr. who'll find out what's going on. You shouldn't be suffering so much. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :| :< :T :S ~X( :O :W
    Thank you all for taking the time to reading my "venting" words.. I just dont understand these dr's who spend the time and money to go to college learn this profession and start the practice to TREAT people.. The DR that I had was an EXTREMLY intelligent man. He basically PAVED a road of gold in describing the surgery...
    His own daughter had the same surgery he performed on me a week to the day that I had mine. SHE is 19 years old were I am 29. During one of my exams she called him and he told her that he would get the brace for her back. I had my surgery on a friday afternoon at 4:30, I was released at 8:30 the next morning. HE DIDNT EVEN RELEASE ME HIS ASSOCIATE DID!! I asked what I should and should not do, if I needed a brace, the associate told me that he really couldnt tell me all I could do and he called my dr right there and asked about the brace and my DR SAID I DIDNT NEED A BRACE. At my post-op I asked again about a brace, due to the fact that I had such a rough time with the recovery he still said NNNOOO..... Im tired of these idiots.. Yesterday a friend gave me a website to take a look at. I did and its the medical board website so that you can research your dr. I did and my surgeon that had the impecable background has had not one but 2 malpractice suits against him. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?? HAS ANYONE ELSE GONE THROUGH THIS?STILL IN PAIN, AND IN TALKING TO SOME FRIENDS THEY HAVE TOLD ME THAT ME BEING A MALE AND BEING 29 (30 IN APRIL) ITS GOING TO BE REALLY HARD FOR ME TO FIND A Pain Mgmt Doc.. WHAT IS IT WITH THIS AGE CRAP? AND BEING MALE? I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS!!!!!!!!!
  • dude I feel ya I had surgery at 18 and have had pain my whole twenties imp 30 now I had 2 discs partially removed now my mid upper back feels like a drill is going through me 24/7 been on pain meds for 7 years wife thinks imp gonna leave her a widow. I don't know wtf to do either so don't feel alone
    I was in top shape for 2 years after steroid use to see if that would help. I felt a little better but pain was always there no changes. I get sick of hearing I dam addicted I could flush all this shit if I did not hurt. God I would give to feel like I did at 16 again! not to mention I have bone spurs in my low back my right leg is numb in 2005 I had 6 months of pure hell ! my sciatic nerve was crushed somehow and I had a charleyhores for 6 months straight! the pain was brutal!! I could not even tap my foot due to nerve damage or lift myself up on my toes. I still walk with a limp can you believe this pain pales in comparison with my upper back pain!!! Alright take it easy
  • dont feel to bAD my operating doctor refused to see me when my work comp insurance account was dried up. i offered cahs he still said no
  • :* :H I've had back pain for 6 years, the past 2 being severe. I'm 21 years old/93 on the inside 8} . I, too, get the 'you're too young for this and that' speech. Even though I have a hard time with docs, I still get more meds than some people. I've heard from many people older and younger than me that have the same problem. My soon-to-be former doc says I'm too young to have this pain but obviously believes me because he gives me a relatively high amount of the med I take. He thinks that because I'm younger than his average patient, I should deal with it, suck it up, and not let it stop me from doing anything ~X( . For the record, I have a protruded disc at L5-S1 and nerve problems, many nerve problems :sick: . I did gymnastics and tae kwon do for many years, so I think overuse/many injuries over time is how I started my problem. Since I still have a ton of pain, although not the added complication of surgery, I can relate to what you are going though. Other than the great ideas already offered to you, I try to sing in my head while doing ANYTHING to distract me from the pain. I can get lost in things like counting while I walk so it makes it a bit easier to cope. I notice that if my mind is busy even if my body isn't, time goes faster and I have a tiny bit less time to think of ways to remove my body from the waist down!!! =)) =)) =)) I'm here, I'm very caring and I would never judge, so send me a note if you need to chat or if you need a distraction...
    Much love and understanding :* ,
    Lisa
  • I try to just let things be with all the pain and b/s.. I know that there are alot more people out there in alot more pain than I am. I just am sooooo tired of as you said feeling like im a 90 something year old person who fought in WWI,WWII and the civil war.. Some days I try to push through it all and "suck it up" but it just gets to the point that I cant.. My relationship is suffering from, my friends and family are suffering from it.. i just dont know what to do anymore.. I try to put on a brave face and just go with the flow, but i cant anymore.. I dont sleep, dont have any kind of life outside my house.. THat is sooo not me.. I am used to working 80 something hours a week, hanging out with friends and family, traveling etc... Thats all in the past now.. Thanks for letting me vent some.. How are you? THings going well with you? Hope to hear from you soon... My name is Paul by the way.. Still no meds from the dr.. I would give anything just to have a couple of hours of being LESS in pain ya know? Hopefully in 3 weeks the NEW dr will help out... Hope all is well...my email addy is pblack79@gmail.com..

Paul
  • Im trying to hang in there.. Its getting harder and harder.. Im soooooooooooooooo sick and tired of feeling this way.. Going to see a new dr in about 3 weeks.. I would give ANYTHING to just be a LITTLE LESS in pain.. Not that im expecting to NOT be in pain at all,... just a little less.. something a little more bearable....
  • Hi Paul

I hope you are having a bit better day today. I know all about being frustrated with doctors, I have been on the waiting list for a discectomy /query fusion since June. Since then I have been on really high doses of pain meds and thats not fun as you get addicted/dependant on them and thats not easy.

A word of caution, please be careful about putting your email addy on a public forum. If you build up trust with someone via PM thats up to you to give them your email addy, its just all to do with oyur security. I dont mean to sound horrible, just a friend looking out for your safety.

Sending you lots of positive vibes and happy thoughts
    Danni
  • I am in the same boat as you as far as my Doctor not giving me any thing for the pain. I am scheduled for a epidural injection on the 17th but I could no longer take it so I went to the Emergency Room. They were very kind to me, they did not treat me as a drug seeker. I told them I had had an MRI of my T-spine 2 months ago, am scheduled for an MRI of my Cervical spine on Sunday. They knew I wasn't faking it because all of the procedures have and are being done at this hospital. Whoops got off track..Anyway they wrote me a prescription for hydrocodone and Soma, just enough for a week and they explained to me that this was a one time deal and that they wouldn't be able to do it again. I, like you just wanted some relief. So I would give the ER a try, even if they just give you a weeks worth, its week of not living with the 9-10 pain you are describing. Its worth a shot.

Take care and good luck

Suzie
  • At least a little bit of releif is better then no relief at all. Did you actually mean that after you had surgery, your doctor didn't give you ANYTHING for the post op pain? That's too incredible to believe! Not that I don't believe you, I do. It's just crazy, insane, and cruel beyond belief! I feel for you. I hope you find a PM soon, and get the help that you need. In the meantime, go to the ER and get some relief at least for a little while.
    >:D<
    Topfuelfan
  • I'm really sorry that you are in so much pain & not getting the help that you need and deserve.I know too that all of the sorrys won't relieve your pain..I wish that it would.

You did get some good opinions & advise here,but I disagree with going to the ER unless it is an emergency...this is for a couple of reasons and only my opinion so of course if the pain gets bad enough that you think it qualifies as an emergency then by all means utilize the ER for that purpose.Keep in mind that if you have a Dr and get medication(a class of scheduled drugs)from the ER that that will be put into your medical chart and MAY be seen as seeking.It would depend on the circimstances and the number of times that you have utilized the ER and other DRs and for what purposes-and what medications were given at each visit.

I know it doesn't seem fair,and these are certainly not my *rules*,so I hope you don't shoot the messenger so to speak.I'm just putting it out there so that you will be aware.

I can't imagine having ANY type of surgery and be released without any pain medication at all.Actually that did happen to me last year,but it was only vocal chords..The SPINE..I really cannot imagine that.When I read this it made me think that if I'm ever going to have ANYthing ever done to my body again that my first question will be "how will I be treated post op?" And I really do not care how the Dr/surgeon THINKS that sounds-I'll just tell him/her about your story.

Good luck to you on your Dr appt.-Why not call Tues.(Mon is a holiday) and see if you can possibly move that appt ahead somewhat..?
  • i think something is happening with the dea. it really does seem as suddenly doctors are ignoring the law that was passed several years ago regarding pain.

pain mgt. doctors, at least the ones i've been to, either doll out too many meds--if you have a good diagnosis--or they do procedures.

i can't get either at the moment and have no idea where to go.

i guess er will be it for me, and i only hope that they will do enough diagnostics so that i might gain some life back. i have no life to speak of and my pain, which with medications, stretching, and a positive attitude, was finally becoming managable, has now, due to being treated like a criminal, after being traumatized by an a-ss boyfriend, has gone off the charts.

i know stress makes my pain way worse. it's not all in my head, but i learned from a very good pain therapist how much emotions play in pain. but without a doctor and the constant fear now, i cannot turn my mind off. the hurtful words of doctors and pharmacists and the way they treat me has created a downward spiral.

i'm trying to get a psychologist appointment as i need someone to talk to, but i cannot even seem to get that, as they don't want to deal with medicaid or medicare.

i do know that something changed in the past 6 months. i don't know what made it happen, but i suspect, at least in my case, that it had something to do with people suing doctors for prescribing medications.

i know that my primary care is being sued by parents of a woman who committed suicide while under his care. he rx'ed xanex and pain meds.

since he is my primary care--although he never rx'ed me narcotics until after my pain mgt. clinic tossed me without even a reason--i've got a big black flag on me.

however, after reading so many posts here, i'm realizing that this cannot just be due to one doctor's misfortune.

what are we supposed to do?

for one thing, everyone knows that if you've been on pain mgt. and on pain meds for a long period of time, you need to be tapered slowly or there will be backlash pain until your brain rebalances, which can take up to 6 months. and that's just the physical symptoms. people who are addicted with no pain get aches and pains for months.

we, who went to pain mgt. due to disabiliting pain to begin with, will end up with more pain than ever.

i'm at a loss. i want a life back. i heard about the laws in washington and oregon stating that they now allow assisted suicide for chronic ill patients.

maybe non-life threatening pain isn't defined as chronically ill per medical books, but if my future life consists of the inability to even focus enough to read anymore, than i want out.

maybe it's time to try legal advice. i don't know.

all i know is that this isn't right. it's cruel to let people suffer so much. we're human beings. stop treating us like addicts and drug-seekers when we can hardly get up to brush our teeth, let alone enjoy life's little pleasures at all, due to our pain.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.