Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work and pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
What helps you cope? How do you get through the day?? I am starting a new job after bein on disability the past year and Im very nervous I a not going to be able to manage still being in so much pain. Any words of advice? :S
advertisement

Comments

• Positive attitude!!! If you can stay positive you have won the battle!
  • I am actually currently working and am suffering from a bad back and neck. The first thing that helps, is having an employeer who understands and works with your needs, such as no questions asked when you are not feeling well, providing you with a comfortable chair for your purpose, ect. I love where I work, because they work with me. The second thing is, exersize. As much as it hurts at first, start exersizing and flexing to help work out those lose kinks that cause you so much pain. Bring your ice pack or heating pad to work, and take your meds (if you are able to work on them). It also helps to try to stay positive, and take it slow! Work your way up and do not over do it. Let me know if you need anything else!
  • Remember the ADA requires employers to provide reasonable accomodations, so please make sure that they provide you with an urgonomically correct chair. Also, you may want to ask your Dr. what other types of accomodations he thinks that you need. I don't know what type of work you do, but make sure that you walk around.

I also try to keep myself busy at work becuase I find that if my mind is occupied I don't think about the pain as much!
  • Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I went to work today! I did it! I hate it, I miss me... it was so difficult.
    Just can't deal with the nostalgia of being able to be nice funny because of pain in the neck that I did not have. And I did not work before for fear and could and now working with pain and feeling weird with my movements. I know people out there worst and I admire them, also know much had the operation and because they need it. How do I deal with feeling less useful after surgery?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,233
    ..I try to accept the "new me"..whatever that is..everyday.
    But I admit..it took couple of years for me to really fully accept.

And then need to be best friend to the new you! Your truest qualities are still there, just have weight of pain covering it.

You can not judge your worth by your pain and limitations. You are not useless..just recouperating.

As you learn to compensate and find new ways to navigate around the pain..be gentle with yourself as you would with another person. Sometimes we expect more from self and too hard on ourselves and we would not do or say things like that to someone else.

You're still healing. Keep with hope!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Things will get better.

A few things
    - get an ergonomic assessment if you sit.
    - Get a better chair
    - make sure you have the right key board, chair height, and have an option to have a standing work station if you are in a desk job
    - drinks lots of water. It's good for you and honestly, it will force you to walk around every 30-50 mins which is important.

Next
    - don't be so hard on yourself.
    - you will be very tired for several weeks.
    - you have been through a lot
    - if people ask how you are, don't hesitate to tell them that you are still in a lot of pain but happy to be back at work and back in life. I used to hate that question. If I told them fine, they would expect more and if I told them lousy, they would just give me pity. So I did tell them "I'm hoping to improve as time goes on...."
    - be positive. With yourself, not with others. Know that you are going to have downs but know that it's ok for a little bit.
    - don't feel bad if you have to sleep when you get home or don't have energy to do much else.
    - keep work life balance there. I realized my job is my job but my health is so much more important. I still tend to work too much but there are times where I say "sorry, I'm leaving for the day".
    I get my deliverables done but there are times when it's no longer A++ work. But at the end of the day, I realized not everything has to be A+++ work. C is passing and it's ok to do some things at a grade C.

It's not easy but you have us here. Most of us have been through that transition period.

Heck, I feel like I'm still in it from time to time.
  • Pacing, pacing, pacing. You must learn to pace yourself. ( one of the key ingredients in pain management).

Start slow, ease yourself into your routine..... know your limitations and don't over-exert yourself! If you overdo it, your pain will be too much and you will be discouraged and hurting unnecessarily.

Cheers

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.