Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will I ever go back to work?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI. PLEASE BARE WITH ME FOR I AM NEW TO THIS!!! I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANY ON COULD RELATE TO ME PROBLEMS OR FOR THAT MATTER TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO!! BACK IN NOW OF 07 I FELT A POP IN MY BACK THAT CAUSED ME TO CRY AND I WASNT ABLE TO MOVE. I WENT TO A DOC AND HE WANTED TO DO PT W/O KNOWING THE TRUE PROB. I WASNT HAVING THAT SO I GOT A 2ND OPINION. THE NEW DOC TOLD ME THE TRUTH!! BUT IT WASNT PRETTY. I HAD DISCECTOMY LAMINECTOMY ON MY L5-S1 DONE IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR. AFTER MY SURGERY I WAS DOING FINE THE SYMPTOMS WERE GONE. I DID NOT DO PT AFTERWARDS CAUSE I WAS NOT TOLD TO DO SO. IN MID JUNE I STARTED HAVING PROBS AGAIN IF NOT WORSE THAN BEFORE. FROM THERE THEY SENT ME TO PT AND THE TINGLING AND WEAKNESS WAS GETTING WORSE. I AM UNABLE TO STAND OR SIT FOR VERY LONG AND TO TOP IT OFF MY BACK STILL POPS. MY MRI SHOWED SCAR TISSUE FORMED. NOW THEY ARE ARE SENDING TO SEE WHAT I CALL THE MED DOC :))( IF THEY PUT ME ON THESE SHOTS WILL I EVER GET TO GO BACK TO WORK? ITS BEEN OVER A YR SINCE MY LAST JOB AND STILL NO INCOME COMING IN!! NOW DAYS IS NOT THE TIME TO NOT BE WORKING!!!

advertisement

Comments

• a few questions to clarify...
    did the MRI show anything other than scar tissue?
    Was the scar tissue around the nerves?
    Do you have pain and numbness down your legs?
    what are the shots you are talking about? steroid injections?
    What kind of work do you do?
    -Jenn
  • Thanks Jenn for the reply so soon. The answers to the ?'s you have. #1 The MRI did show a bluge on L4-L5 but its not causing probs #2 Not sure if its around the scar tissue or not cause I never saw the results and the doc admitted to me that she did not look at them either, she went off a printout of the results #3 The pain is in the left leg starting at the butt and goes down the tingling on the other hand starts at the foot and moves up to the knee but doesnt go any further than that #4 Im not sure what shots they will be giving me. I see them next week. #5 I was in retail (cashier) but at the time my back prob started I was in between jobs.
  • I know it is hard ut unless you have exhausted every other avenue then dont go the surgery route again.
    It sounds like you need intensive PT and it is a shame you didn't have it before the surgery. Often a disc can repair itself with just PT so the first surgeon was probably right.
    It is hard to hear though when yuou are in pain and want a quick fix.

Keep going with the PT and if you can swim that is one of the best things, even aqua exercises are wonderful and gentle. See what the injections do, a lot of people have excellent results from these and they can starve off the pain enough so you can get back to living and combined with PT can be an excellent option.

Re work, see how the injection goes before making a decision. You didn't say if the pain in your legs was worse with sitting or standing but you may need to look at other avenues for work as a lot of us have.

Keep us informed please as it is nice to know how the newbies are getting along.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I'm guessing they're sending you to a pain mgmt sp. Did they say the shots were epidurals, or a selective nerve injection? I have had 3 eipdurals, and 2 SNI, both offered temporary relief from the pain. PT will also help. Hope you nget to feeling better soon! Rose
  • I think angel is right. standard is to get the shots and see if they help. If they are steroid injections, you will most likely have 3 sets, 2 weeks apart. If you have no relief from these and PT doesn;t help, then they may look at surgery. Until then try whatever you can to heal on your own.
    As far as work, you can work when you feel up to it. I wouldn't suggest being on your feet all day, or in a chair all day. Something where you can be up or down would be best. Maybe having a stool to sit on when you need to while cashiering. Definitely no lifting. Will your work let you come in on restricted duty?
  • This will be my last update until after I see the doc on Tue. I have noticed alot of people saying to have a job that allows me to sit and stand but in my hometown thats almost impossible. My mind wants me to go back to work but my body on the other hand is not allowing me to. The cashiering position I held came to an end because of my back. For the time being I am playing the waiting game!!! I'll keep you posted after the doc appt. Till then hope for the best for me and all of us. Karla
  • Hi. I have some great news (at least for now)!! I just got back from the phy med and they injected me with SI (I think thats what they call it). It was an sidadic injection. The pain Im felling now is about half of my normal pain level. What I would like is some feed back telling me if anyone else has had this kind of relief right away. If so was it a long term thing of a short term thing? I would like to think this a long term thing so i can get back to work. If this injection doesnt work I have to have a Ep injection. I also am now starting PT again. This time I hope to have a better turn out than last time. I will keep you all posted if my condition changes. Take care all!!!
    Karla
advertisement